horsepower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

horsepower?

i was reading a magazine today, and they were talking about the new volkswagon GTI/r32 whatever its called... with the vr6 blah blah AWD layout, and it said it was measured at like 200 bhp....

whats bhp standfor? obviously hp is horsepower but i have no idea what the B stands for?

bhp is brake horsepower, measured by a brake on the crankshaft that presses on the shaft (not the actual shaft, but you get the idea) to measure the power output by placing a known resistance on the shaft...

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
      bhp is brake horsepower, measured by a brake on the crankshaft that presses on the shaft (not the actual shaft, but you get the idea) to measure the power output by placing a known resistance on the shaft...

ooh ok i see now... is that more effective and accurate then just measuring it directly at the crank?

Comment

its pretty much the same thing, i think that they use it to try to sound sophisticated...like the MdLaren...its rated at 627 bhp...beats me why they use it...same thing as crank hp..

Comment

Hmmnnn...I always knew it to be BLOCK horsepower...

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
            Hmmnnn...I always knew it to be BLOCK horsepower...
            google it, im pretty sure its brake horsepower
            http://autorepair.about.com/library/.../bldef-406.htm
            BRAKE HORSEPOWER (bhp)

Definition: The measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump and other auxiliaries. The actual horsepower delivered to the driving wheels is less.

Comment

I think that bhp stands for brake horsepower as well. But from what I've seen and read, it's the measure of horsepower used in Europe and the likes. It doesn't necessarily translate into the HP we measure here. For instance, in the newest car and driver mag, they tested the bugatti something-or-other that was rated at something insane like 1001 hp (A W-16 engine plus four turbos will do that). Well in the small text of the article they mention that this equates to about 962 HP as measured here in the states.

Just voicing what I've heard.
              Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
              D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
              ┴─┴
              ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

I learn something new everyday...

The meanings are the same tho... Basically whatever the engine puts out at the crank.

Comment

Working...
                X