A little bit 'o math...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little bit 'o math...

Found some interesting equations to share with you guys...

The first one is a way of estimating your 1/4 time.
    If you can figure out your wheel HP and total weight, you can get an estimate on your 1/4. It's not terribly accurate, but it'll give you an idea!

Too bad I can't write it out as it should be... You should be able to figure it out though!

The cube root of weight/HP times 5.825.

For example, my car weighs 2857lbs stock... I'm not sure if my engine weighs more than the F22... For this purpose, it doesn't I weigh 200lbs, and I have maybe 50lbs of crap in my car. So total weight = 3107

My engine is 200hp stock. Add a conservative 15hp for my intake and exhaust (maybe I'm overestimating... wish I could dyno!)
    Subtract 15% for drivetrain loss (32.25) and I have a wheel hp of 182.75.

So! with all that figured out, I can come up with this...

{cube rt}3017/182.75 * 5.825
    so
    2.5462789211953382 * 5.825 (computers are wonderful...)
    Finally:
    14.832 seconds (rounded down to the nearest thousandth)

Nothing else is taken into consideration, but it seems pretty accurate! I believe I could do that with good driving... we'll find out this spring!

There's also one to get your HP. It's good for figuring how powerful you have to be to achieve a desired speed.

Weight/(ET/5.825)^3

So, say i want a 12 second quarter mile (which is my ultimate goal).

3107/(12/5.825)^3 = Roughly 345 wheel HP necessary. That means I'll need 409hp to the crank! Geez!

Have fun. I know you could probably find a program online that does the same thing, but hey...

Hmmm... maybe I'm overestimating my wheel hp then... I'm pretty sure you have a bit more than me. I think, anyway!

I also found a site that does the same thing, only with an 18% drivetrain loss... it's easier for the mathematically impaired
    http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

Comment

Well i way 140!!!!!! .

What ever happened to 2point6, i havent seen him in a while. His car was like 2300 lbs with an interior.

Comment

Yeah. I haven't seen him around... 2300 you say? Wow! That weight would put me below 14.5 for sure!

Comment

I have nuthin in my trunk except a jack that came with the car usless stuff in there too and a spare jack everything is straight quaife too i pull but i hate those wheel hops

Comment

Working...
          X