• Show
Clear All

Pot flavored Lollipops

kids love them!
    Candy that's really gone to pot

By Rochelle Hentges
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, October 6, 2005

As the song says, "On the good ship Lollipop, it's a sweet trip, to a candy shop." But one state representative thinks no lollipop should be associated with a "sweet trip."

Rep. Thomas C. Corrigan, D-Bucks County, said he will introduce a bill today that would ban all lollipops and sweets that are marketed as marijuana- or hemp-flavored in Pennsylvania.

"It's ridiculous. There's no way it could possibly pass," said Michael Weaver, president of Down to Earthware, which owns the Lancaster County-based Hempfield Candy Co. "Hemp's 100 percent legal in the United States."

But similar bills have been passed in Chicago and Suffolk County, N.Y., according to a press release issued by Rep. James E. Casorio Jr., D-Westmoreland, who plans to co-sponsor the legislation.

Corrigan argued the candy can lead children to begin smoking marijuana because of the marketing: The slogan for "pot suckers" is "Every lick tastes like a hit."

"Oh, isn't that suggestive," Corrigan said.

But Matthew Huijgen, owner and CEO of the Santa Barbara, Calif.-based candy company HempWorld, said his products are marketed to adults and sold to adult-themed retailers and tobacco stores.

"It's not for sale at 7-Eleven," Huijgen said.

Spencer Gifts, which has a target audience of 18- to 24-year-olds, sells marijuana-flavored candy, said spokeswoman Heather Golin. The suckers "sell very well for us," and Spencer Gifts has no plan to discontinue the items unless they do become illegal, she said, declining to give specific sales information. "It's a flavor of candy. That's all it is."

Huijgen argued the flavor wouldn't appeal to a child or someone who doesn't smoke marijuana because it's an acquired taste that only current smokers would enjoy.

"It tastes a little bit like dishwater soap," Huijgen said.

Politicians should spend more time tackling serious issues, like the "meth problem they have over in Bucks County," said Weaver, of Hempfield Candy, adding that he distributes his hemp-flavored suckers, as well as semen-flavored ones, as gag items, "strictly for comedic value."

But Corrigan expects to have the last laugh.

"They might find something better to do with their time once we outlaw this candy," he said.

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
    www.maketradefair.com

damn thats funny

Comment

i want

used condoms? wtf

Comment

Ive seen these awhile ago. I wonder how they taste

Comment

They probably taste like pot...

And I wonder what sort of R&D was done to make sure the semen flavored ones tasted right...

Comment

they don't even taste like pot... there actually pretty nasty...... i got one at spencers a while ago....

SOLD!

Comment

LOL! Made in Lancaster?! I can just picture the Amish making pot flavored lolipops....

But I need to find myself some...Just to try you know...

Comment

Working...
              X