Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a grammar check (long letter of complaint)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a grammar check (long letter of complaint)

I need a grammar check for a scathing complaint letter to an elementary school regarding proof of residency that I intend to send:

To Principal XXXXXX XXXXXX or to whom it may concern at XXXXXXX Elementary in MISD regarding Proof of Residency,

A copy of my leasing agreement was brought to the office of XXXXXXX Elementary at approximately 11:30AM on Monday, September 26th 2005 as Proof of Residency for my daughters, XXXXX and XXXXX XXXXXXX.

A message was left the same day on my home cell from a woman from the office at XXXXXXX Elementary stating that the lease brought by and dropped off was dated 2004 and was therefore unacceptable, and that what they was really being looked for was a "utility or light bill".

Coming home with my daughters this past week was a pink piece of paper each. On each piece of paper was mass photocopied letter dated September 19th 2005, signed by Principal XXXXXX XXXXXX stating that it was a second request to turn in a Proof of Residency, and that if a Proof of Residency was not turned in that the students would be automatically withdrawn from the school. Also on the pink letter it irrelevently stated the costs to educate a student at a MISD school.

The request to turn in a Proof of Residency been inconveniently accomodated, with time from a busy schedule taken only to find out that it was not acceptable.

This brings about five clear, highly inconvenient, and glaring problems which are stated as follows:

1. The pink letter that came home with students dated September 19th 2005 clearly stated that acceptable forms of Proof of Residency may include a copy of a utility bill that includes name and address, or a copy of a lease or contract on a residence. With the latter of the two being made available to individuals of XXXXXXX Elementary in MISD, only to be told that it was not an acceptable form of Proof of Residency and what was actually seeked was a utility bill, directly contradicts what the pink letter dated September 19th 2005 stated.

2. Removal of a student from a campus by MISD after the Proof of Residency requirements have been met directly contradicts the State of Texas' requirement for compulory school attendance.

3. Review of both the MISD 2005-2006 Student Code of Conduct and the MISD Elementary Student Handbook have no mention of any sort of Proof of Residency requirements for the child to remain in school. Paperwork sent home at the beginning of the year to be filled out by Parents with contact information, etc, were single copy with English on one side and Spanish on the other. With these filled out and turned in, no copy was left available for the Parent too keep as reference material.

4. On the bottom of the copy of the current lease agreement that was turned into the office of XXXXXXX Elementary was the main office telephone number of the office of the XXXXXX XXXXXX Apartments at XXXX XXXX XXXXXX where the students in question reside, with a contact name available for verification of Proof of Residency.

5. The date on the copy of the lease agreement that was turned in as Proof of Residency to the office of XXXXXXX Elementary had a date of 2004 on it, yet if the lease were reviewed, it would become clear that the lease is for a thirteen (13) month period. This thirteen (13) month period had not expired a the time of the copy of the lease agreement had been turned into the office of XXXXXXX Elementary.

Please review the Proof of Residency that was turned into the office of XXXXXXX Elementary on September 26th and contact me directly if you have any questions or need any sort of clarifications at [insert times available and contact number].

I also request and expect that I be compensated for time and fuel spent for any further versions of a Proof of Residency to be brought to the XXXXXXX Elementary office.

cc: MISD Deputy Superintendent XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX, #X XXXXXX Street, XXXXXXXX, TX 7XXXX.
    If there's any grammar that needs to be corrected or spelling mistakes that need attention, hit it.
    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

compulory should be compulsory, I believe. Other than that it seems pretty solid...

Comment

Not sure if its too late or not but you may also want to revise the following:

"and that what they was really being looked for was a "utility or light bill". "

I'm assuming you meant to say "what they were really looking for..." or somthing of that was nature.

Hope that helps,

J-Rod

Comment

im working on it....bbl

EDIT: i started out making corrections so that you could see them but just started correcting as i went along with reading.. this is just how i think it would sound better.. no need to attack me

To Principal XXXXXX XXXXXX or to whom it may concern at XXXXXXX Elementary in MISD regarding Proof of Residency,

A copy of my leasing agreement was brought to the office of XXXXXXX Elementary at approximately 11:30AM on Monday, September 26th 2005 as Proof of Residency for my daughters, XXXXX and XXXXX XXXXXXX.

A message was left the same day on my home cell by a woman from the school office at XXXXXXX Elementary stating that the lease brought by and dropped off was dated 2004 and was therefore unacceptable, and that what they was really being looked for was a "utility or light bill".

Coming home with each of my daughters this past week was a pink piece of paper. On each piece of paper was a mass photocopied letter dated September 19th 2005, signed by Principal XXXXXX XXXXXX stating that it was a second request to turn in a Proof of Residency. It stated that is a Proof of Residency was not turned in the students would be automatically withdrawn from the school. Also on the pink letter it irrelevantly stated the costs to educate a student at a MISD school.

The request to turn in a Proof of Residency was inconveniently accommodated, with time taken from a busy schedule only to find out that it was not acceptable.

This brings about five clear, highly inconvenient, and glaring problems which are stated as follows:

1. The pink letter that came home with students dated September 19th 2005 clearly stated that acceptable forms of Proof of Residency may include a copy of a utility bill that includes name and address, or a copy of a lease or contract on a residence. With the latter of the two being made available to individuals of XXXXXXX Elementary in MISD, only to be told that it was not an acceptable form of Proof of Residency and what was actually sought was a utility bill, directly contradicts what was originally stated in the pink letter dated September 19 2005.

2. Removal of a student from a campus by MISD after the Proof of Residency requirements have been met directly contradicts the State of Texas' requirement for compulsory school attendance.

3. Upon review of both the MISD 2005-2006 Student Code of Conduct and the MISD Elementary Student Handbook have no mention of any sort requiring Proof of Residency for the child to remain in school. Paperwork sent home at the beginning of the year to be filled out by Parents with contact information, etc, were single copy with English on one side and Spanish on the other. With these filled out and turned in, no copy was left available for the Parent too keep as reference material.

4. On the bottom of the copy of the current lease agreement that was turned into the office of XXXXXXX Elementary was the main office telephone number of the office of the XXXXXX XXXXXX Apartments at XXXX XXXX XXXXXX where the students in question reside, with a contact name available for verification of Proof of Residency.

5. The date on the copy of the lease agreement that was turned in as Proof of Residency to the office of XXXXXXX Elementary had a date of 2004 on it, yet if the lease were reviewed, it would become clear that the lease is for a thirteen (13) month period. This thirteen (13) month period had not expired at the time of the copy of the lease agreement had been turned into the office of XXXXXXX Elementary.

I also request and expect that I be compensated for time and fuel spent for any further versions of a Proof of Residency to be brought to the XXXXXXX Elementary office.

cc: MISD Deputy Superintendent XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX, #X XXXXXX Street, XXXXXXXX, TX 7XXXX.

Last edited by clarksterdotcom; 09-27-2005, 12:10 AM.

Comment

I ran it through word so I hope this helps! I'm not the strongest suit when it comes to issues of grammatical technicalities anyway!

"irrelevently" should be "irrelevantly" accoring to word.
          "accomodated" should be "accommondated".

"This brings about five clear, highly inconvenient, and glaring problems which are stated as follows:"
          Change to "...and glaring problems states as follows(:<. ?)"
          http://www.nationalpunctuationday.com/colon.html

"...only to be told that it was not an acceptable form of Proof of Residency and what was actually SEEKED was a utility bill..."
          "...actually being SOUGHT was a utility bill..."

"With these filled out and turned in, no copy was left available for the Parent TOO keep as reference material."
          "...for the parents TO keep as..."

"This thirteen (13) month period had not expired A the time of the copy of the lease..."
          "...not expired AT the time..."

Usefull links: http://www.m-w.com/, http://www.nationalpunctuationday.com/index.html

- Zipcreature
          Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

See what good proofreading can do! Look at all that missed stuff...

"accomondated" isn't a word though. "accomodated" is correct.

Comment

A message was left the same day on my home cell by a woman from the school office at XXXXXXX Elementary stating that the lease brought by and dropped off was dated 2004 and was therefore unacceptable, and that what they was really being looked(were really looking) for was a "utility or light bill".

Coming home with each of my daughters this past week was a pink piece of paper. On each piece of paper was a mass photocopied letter dated September 19th 2005, signed by Principal XXXXXX XXXXXX stating that it was a second request to turn in a Proof of Residency. It stated that is a Proof of Residency was not turned in the students would be automatically withdrawn from the school. Also on the pink letter it irrelevantly stated the costs to educate a student at a MISD school.

The request to turn in a Proof of Residency was inconveniently accommodated, with time taken from a busy schedule only to find out that it was not acceptable.

1. The pink letter that came home with students dated September 19th 2005 clearly stated that acceptable forms of Proof of Residency may include a copy of a utility bill that includes name and address, or a copy of a lease or contract on a residence. With the latter of the two being made available to individuals of XXXXXXX Elementary in MISD, only to be told that it was not an acceptable form of Proof of Residency and what was actually sought was a utility bill, directly contradicts what was originally stated in the pink letter dated September 19 2005.

2. Removal of a student from a campus by MISD after the Proof of Residency requirements have been met directly contradicts the State of Texas' requirement for compulsory school attendance.

3. Upon review of both the MISD 2005-2006 Student Code of Conduct and the MISD Elementary Student Handbook have no mention of any sort requiring Proof of Residency for the child to remain in school. Paperwork sent home at the beginning of the year to be filled out by Parents with contact information, etc, were single copy with English on one side and Spanish on the other. With these filled out and turned in, no copy was left available for the Parent too keep as reference material.

5. The date on the copy of the lease agreement that was turned in as Proof of Residency to the office of XXXXXXX Elementary had a date of 2004 on it, yet if the lease were reviewed, it would become clear that the lease is for a thirteen (13) month period. This thirteen (13) month period had not expired at the time of the copy of the lease agreement had been turned into the office of XXXXXXX Elementary.

I just highlighted what clarkster fixed because I only found one place that seemed awkward. I indicated it above
              Last edited by ACC0RD22; 09-27-2005, 12:27 AM.
              -Mark-
              CB7
              CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
              Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

See why I had everyone proofread it? It all started to glaze together as I was typing it out last night. I haven't sent it out yet, but will make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks!
                Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Working...
                X