Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of those days (specific car gripe yelling session)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of those days (specific car gripe yelling session)

I thought I completely sealed my trunk to stop all the leaks. I siliconed the outside rear window right at the glass/trim seam, the inside seam, the weatherstripping around the trunk lid, and the tail lights.

But yesterday I had 4-6" of water in my spare tire well...that decided to migrate to my backseat when I hit the brakes. My car still has no trunk interior or a back seat. What sucks is I think the body guy oiled the underpanels...or maybe the container of oil I had back there leaked more than I though, so I had a little oil puddle where the backseat was I needed to clean...and the water and oil mixed and got all over my seatbelts, amp wiring...everything.

This morning I went out and got in my car...which now smells like garbage (wee!) and everything just felt moist. I'm going to call glass places this weekend and see if they can't sort out all the seals for me. I just wish I knew where else I was leaking from. It seems like too much water just for the rear window. No, I'm not going back to the shop that fixed my car/caused this leak. I would prefer not to deal with that man again, and I'm sure he'd charge me double going rate to fix it, and if he can't fix it the first time, he's not going to be able to fix it the second time.

...the price you pay to be a tuner, right? This isn't a whining session, just an obstacle. I also loathe the idea of spending money to fix my car rather than modify it. But I think right now my car's just crying out for maintence. More than that I just want to get my car back into one piece. You know, full interior, a full suspension (not just the front done), 4 alloy wheels (get back to me Clark ), etc.

But I did get the parental A-OK for some more interesting things in the future, so just you wait.

hey mike.. when you get the chance, try what i told ya. just make sure you've got someone hosing off the entire rear from the rear glass, quarter panels, trunk lid, tails, etc.. and to get rid of that mixed oil/water smell, some engine degreaser in the trunk area will do. for the upholstery, soap and water to clean it up, and some fabreeze(auto) afterwards to freshen it up.
    5.6L V8 32V DOHC
    JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Do you know where the leak is coming from exactly? If not, why not fold down your backseat and crawl a little in the trunk and have a friend hose the whole trunk/window area and see where the leak is coming from. < just a thought. It could help you pinpoint the leak hopefully.

Midwest car club

Current rides:
      91 accord lx (5spd)
      92 accord lx (5spd)
      93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

Originally posted by 92CB7accord
        Do you know where the leak is coming from exactly? If not, why not fold down your backseat and crawl a little in the trunk and have a friend hose the whole trunk/window area and see where the leak is coming from. < just a thought. It could help you pinpoint the leak hopefully.
        I don't actually have any interior from the rear seats back. Last time I saw it, it was just pouring in from all long where the rear window is...as well as the tail lights. I think I got the tail lights sealed up pretty well, but I'm almost 100% sure that the majority of the water is from the rear window.

When my car was in the shop the rear window was removed. He put it back in rather quickly to get the car back to me. I have a feeling he didn't put the trim back right. Rather than hassle with this myself I'm going to call a certified glass place (that stands by their work) and have them seal it. That way at least I know that the window will no longer be the culprit.

Comment

I had the same problem.. I had a good 4-6" in my trunk and it would go up into the cabin when I pressed the brakes. Until I got the leak fixed, I put a BIG towel wrapped up in a long bundle right where the rear seat meets the metal. That way the towel would absorb the water instead of going under the carpet in the back seat and making the car smell like horrible poon..

I'd see what the old man who did you car says about the deal.

Also, do what Francis said.. thats how I found my water leak. I thought it was coming in my rear door seals and I found out it was behind my tail light and where the old body kit was mounted in at.. so three tubes of silicone solved my problem.
          Adam - Retired OG member from '03
          2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
          2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
          2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

Well, it's pouring out, and my car was starting to leak. This is the best I could come up with...the JDM rain guard.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
              Well, it's pouring out, and my car was starting to leak. This is the best I could come up with...the JDM rain guard.

HAHAHAHAHA, thats genius!

on the serious note, someone should design something to drain the water out so it doesnt create a mini swamp in our spare tire. (im sure someone is going to flame me for something)
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                HAHAHAHAHA, thats genius!

on the serious note, someone should design something to drain the water out so it doesnt create a mini swamp in our spare tire. (im sure someone is going to flame me for something)
                Which Honda already did.. there is a drain in the spare tire holder but it gets clogged up on 90% of the cars.
                Adam - Retired OG member from '03
                2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
                2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
                2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

very jdm man can i get that in 2dr also?
                  very good protection for the qtr panels too!
                  <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Just drill a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of the spare tire well for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685
                      Just drill a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of the spare tire well for the time being.
                      instead, tap a hole through one of the rubber caps on the bottom of the trunk well. you can easily seal it up with silicone when you find the source of the leak.

^^^
                      is that available in black?
                      5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                      JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Without looking at my spare tire well (this moment) is that drain directly at the bottom in the center? It'd be good to check and see if its clogged.
                        '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                        EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

he found what was leaking.........tail light.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord4door
                            he found what was leaking.........tail light.
                            No I didn't. It's going to a glass shop Wednesday.

Comment

UPDATE:

So the glass place tells me its not my rear window. The water tested it for me and everything. Nope...its the seams of my new quarter panels. So that was a quick $40 to diagnose the problem. But when I called the body guy and explained to him the issue, he changed from his normally arrogant self to super nice and was like "we'll fix that right up for you".

I guess we'll see about that.

The joys of being a CB7Tuner.

Comment

Working...
                              X