Muay Thai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muay Thai

I recently discoverd this art of fighting.

does anyone here know anything about it? , are there any books that i should read , any websites to visit? is it even worth it?

does any one practice it??

all i know is that i saw an episode of true life on MTV about two friends who were the top muay tai fighters in the world, and it looked brutal! if you could get your hands on that episode that would be the best since you actually see what they go through, other than that i would say the bookstore is your friend and i'm sure they will have something...

Comment

it's sagat's fighting style on street fighter...

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_el
        it's sagat's fighting style on street fighter...
        street fighter 2 is one of the best fighting games of all time...i think i will go fire up my "vintage" SNES and play a few rounds...

Comment

Watch the movie Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior if you haven't already.

Mine.
          "Why don't you spend some money and get this door handle fixed?" - Everyone who rides in my passenger seat
          "Because I don't drive on that side." - Me

Accord Drivers against F transmissions on H motors #2

Comment

Originally posted by avendi

thats why i wanna do it , good movie

Comment

What is the best all around fight style. with ground, stand up, grapling, etc. etc.? I would, me self, would lovve to learn a wrestling/submission style of fighting.

Comment

so BJJ is the top grappling stlye? B/c i had a friend that was a state champ wrestler i believe 200 (or so). He could put you into pain so fast it wasn't funny. I would just like to know how to defend myself just to the point that i can get a running start. or to break an arm and then run.

Comment

Originally posted by avendi
                  the best marital arts movie so far Tony Jaa rocks mad
                  ~Nick~
                  FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                  MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I've studied some BJJ myself. There are so many subtleties to it... It's amazing how one limb placed an inch off can create a weak point. I spent hours on the floor in my "american freestyle karate" class with my best friend trying to get him to submit (and keep him from doing it to me...)

I know I'm taking this way off topic... but my AFK class was basically 50% Tae Kwon Do, 25% Aikido, and 25% BJJ. It was a VERY good mix. The standup part of it was focused mainly on speed and combos (never a power attack without a flurry of something preceding it). Aikido was never used in the ring (it was full contact, which I loved) That was more for practical self defense, since a quick mind and a practiced hand makes Aikido VERY effective. The grappling was used in conjunction with the normal ring fighting (when allowed). We were allowed to take our opponents down and go for a submission.

What's the style that's very much like a dance? Remember the Jamaican looking guy in Mortal Kombat (the movie)? Doing all kinds of flips and stuff? I think it's a Brazillian (or some South American) style.... That one fascinates me.

Comment

its Brazillian, its Capoeira and its frickin awesome to watch

http://www.capoeira.com/
                      i dont know if that site is any good...but hell, if not hit up google.
                      Under Construction

Coupes weren't mean to be sleepers

H22power.com

Comment

Originally posted by Liljord05
                        its Brazillian, its Capoeira and its frickin awesome to watch

http://www.capoeira.com/
                        i dont know if that site is any good...but hell, if not hit up google.
                        That would be awesome to learn..I should pick this up since I have free time on some nights.

Any one whos met me in person have told me that Im a big dude..I dont see it but I get alot of comments

i had friends that have been doing animal forms of fighting for about a year now.

:edit:

Or you could sucumb to this crazy Instructor
                        Last edited by HenRoc; 09-12-2005, 12:27 AM.
                        Henry R
                        Koni/Neuspeed
                        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by Crayola-r
                          I recently discoverd this art of fighting.

does anyone here know anything about it? , are there any books that i should read , any websites to visit? is it even worth it?

does any one practice it??
                          i'm thai so it comes naturally to me in my blood...haha jk =)

anyways, real muay thai is ALOT different than what you see on american tv...you need a thai satallite or rent tapes to watch the real stuff

muay thai used to have like 5 different styles..some of the styles were grappling styles but then they sort of converged into one upright fighting styles while the lower stance grappling ones were diminished

best bet to learn is to find a good instructor...only way to learn really
                          For Sale:
                          itr mid pipe = $80 + shiping
                          tr injen sri $80 + shipping

(2) Eibach ERS 600x2.5x600 = $80shipped in US

Comment

Originally posted by DUNKiNUTS
                            What is the best all around fight style. with ground, stand up, grapling, etc. etc.? I would, me self, would lovve to learn a wrestling/submission style of fighting.
                            the best one would be the one that combines all fighting styles together into one form...and the one who first truly invented this form was the man we all know as: bruce lee =)

but i forgot what is style was called =(
                            For Sale:
                            itr mid pipe = $80 + shiping
                            tr injen sri $80 + shipping

(2) Eibach ERS 600x2.5x600 = $80shipped in US

Comment

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeet kkkkkkkkkkkkuuuuuuuuuuunnn doooooooooooooooooooo

(ART OF THE INTERCEPTING FIST)

-his style was a compilations of all he had learned as well as invented..

anyhow, my opinion is that u learn what u wanna learn and BE GOOD at it. no one is invincible in martial arts EVER. espeically kung fu and all that, its about balance; one over the other.. but if u were serious, u need a combination of a few to trully be GOOD..

a lot of these grappling is based a lot on strength imho.. i mean after he gets u, think about what is really holding the person down. STRENGTH... yes theres strategy and all that, but just think about it !! this is a physical practice, all the coaching and skill is nothing if u can't physically execute it. we are humans our strength will deplete and we will be useless if we didn't have the power to fight back.

that's why true martial arts is more than that, and that's why bruce lee became so popular and GOOD. he was able to beat people up 2-3 his size/strength..if ur serious and if ur kids wanna learn. u have to start early, and really be devoted. but to participate it as a physcial exercise and self defense is GREAT..

but when ur really scrapping, it isn't about grabbing the guy, i mean if he had a weapon, pau game alreayd...

take cares
                              hahahahah

Comment

Working...
                              X