prevent being scammed / open discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prevent being scammed / open discussion

Ok, lately I've noticed alot of people being scammed or having trouble obtaining the items they paid for. I think we should get something together like a list on what to before you buy something and to make sure someone isn't trying to scam you (precautionary steps before buying).

For example:
    a) the seller should have people vouching for them
    b) never pay with cash
    c) seller should send stuff priorty mail w/ tracking #.
    (tracking # should be given to buyer immediately)
    d) ?
    e) ?
    I just woke up, so I can't think straight, but I know more thoughts will come on the subject.

Please feel free to share....that's why I started this thread. This could help alot of us out.
    Last edited by That1guyN8; 07-07-2005, 11:49 AM.

Midwest car club

Current rides:
    91 accord lx (5spd)
    92 accord lx (5spd)
    93 accord lx (auto )

the answer's simple PAYPAL! they'll cover your ass. now i know not everyone has it but, use a friends or something, if you can't find a good way to pay like paypal expect a 50/50 chance of getting burned
    CiRcuS kiNgZ

Comment

Originally posted by Raceboy
      the answer's simple PAYPAL! they'll cover your ass. now i know not everyone has it but, use a friends or something, if you can't find a good way to pay like paypal expect a 50/50 chance of getting burned
      That's what I was thinking because I heard it's the best to use. I need to get paypal!

Midwest car club

Current rides:
      91 accord lx (5spd)
      92 accord lx (5spd)
      93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

i don't have nor do i use paypal for most of the transactions i've done on this forum. but everyone i've sold to always gets their items mailed immediately using either USPS priority mail or UPS, both w/ confirmation or tracking #s. also, buyers have paid me using USPS money orders and its never a problem; i've used them myself to make payments on items i've bought too..they are insured and easily tracked

unfortunately, there are people here to steal other people's $$$, so maybe having some type of seller/buyer rating system can help prevent or minimize losses. its sad and pathetic to see what has been happening lately on this forum with people getting ripped off and all the other BS thats been taking place.
        i do hope things turn around considering this is one of the best forums i have ever joined to share my personal experience in tuning/modding our cb7s.
        Last edited by PRIMOCB7; 07-07-2005, 12:17 PM.
        5.6L V8 32V DOHC
        JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Originally posted by 92CB7accord
          Ok, lately I've noticed alot of people being scammed or having trouble obtaining the items they paid for. I think we should get something together like a list on what to before you buy something and to make sure someone isn't trying to scam you (precautionary steps before buying).

For example:
          a) the seller should have people vouching for them
          b) never pay with cash
          c) seller should send stuff priorty mail w/ tracking #.
          (tracking # should be given to buyer immediately)
          d) ?
          e) ?
          Those are some pretty good precautions, but there are a couple of flaws I'll point out:
          A) I'm new, but that doesn't mean I'm not trustworthy. However, you should definetly be wary of newcomers to your forum selling items.
          B) I don't take cash unless it's local pick-up/delivery. Surely you're not sending cash in the mail?
          C) Sending priority is okay, but it's going to raise the cost to ship. Settle how you want it shipped BEFORE you name a price. I ship everything UPS ground unless the buyer requests otherwise.
          D) Keep in mind, using Paypal is great, but it's not always instantaneous. I hold onto my parts until money is in my bank account; not when the transaction is first made. So in some cases there could be a lag of up to a week waiting for money to change hands.

Hope my .02 helps someone from getting scammed.

Comment

Childish bickering isn't what I think the original poster was looking for; pretty sure he was trying to prevent people from being scammed in the future, not the past.

Comment

PayPal only covers you if the seller has money in their account. I got scammed (and I didn't post a bitching thread, either!!!) I filed with PayPal, and they said the decision was in my favor... however, the seller had nothing in their account, so I got nothing. I THINK that I'll get money if he ever gets money put in there, but I'm not sure.

Also, my input here...

Basically, a good way to NOT get scammed is to only buy local. We have a large group here, and many of us are pretty close to someone else. I've bought things from local guys a number of times, and those guys have actually become friends.

When you buy from someone that is far away, you are taking that chance... Individuals have different habits. They could be scammers, procrastinators, prompt shippers, bad packers... messy writers (perhaps the shipping company misread the address) There are many things that can happen.

If the buyer wants security, they can pay the extra for insurance. If the tracking number costs more, then that's also the buyer's concern. I believe a good seller does those things already, but it doesn't have to be so.

If you buy from someone that has no vouches, little reputation on the board, and is far away from you, then you are taking a risk. It can't be avoided. We can't see who the scammers are before they do it, and neither can you. Just think of it this way: "If I can't afford to LOSE that $xxx.xx, I can't afford to spend it". Also, if it seems too good to be true, it very well may be!

Finally, if someone is far from you, but close to someone you DO trust on the board... perhaps that person you trust can help you out. THEY can get it locally and ship it to you. I know there are people in Florida that I don't know very well... However, I could definitley trust Wikked or MRX to ship something to me. If I needed the help, they would probably lend a hand.
              Last edited by deevergote; 07-07-2005, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by daisy
                Childish bickering isn't what I think the original poster was looking for; pretty sure he was trying to prevent people from being scammed in the future, not the past.
                Thankyou!

Midwest car club

Current rides:
                91 accord lx (5spd)
                92 accord lx (5spd)
                93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

I think we need a seller rating system or something...
                  Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by daisy
                    And yes... exactly!

Who cares what happened before. I know it sucks, but it happens. It's been happening a LOT lately, so I do understand the unrest.

The best thing we can do is be educated buyers. Buyers and sellers also need to open lines of communication. The issue with Soy was involving $1200. I know that home phone numbers were given in that case. That is how it should be! My problem was involving $70. I just let it go. I did all I could do, I took a chance, and I lost out for once... it was the first time I was scammed in a dozen deals here, so I'm cool with it. Hell, due to the money I saved because of the great deals here, $70 is nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
                      soy. I told him and juan didnt mind. Nice try buddie. I dont see you driving your ass 4hr away to bring a friend an item

BTW I just had a convo with Soy

SoySauceCB7: alright mother fucer
                      poo1side: :-D
                      SoySauceCB7: you want to fight me i heard
                      poo1side: lol from who
                      SoySauceCB7: well i live in norwalk ctr
                      SoySauceCB7: come down
                      poo1side: I know where you live son.
                      SoySauceCB7: you said "i wanted to deck that kid at the meet"
                      SoySauceCB7: if you ever show to another meet im at
                      SoySauceCB7: ill be sure to show you what decking a kid feels like

Then he blocked me. like usual

.................. It shouldn't be like this. Were all supposed to be family, not enemies.

Midwest car club

Current rides:
                      91 accord lx (5spd)
                      92 accord lx (5spd)
                      93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                        The best thing we can do is be educated buyers. Buyers and sellers also need to open lines of communication. The issue with Soy was involving $1200. I know that home phone numbers were given in that case. That is how it should be!
                        I agree with what you said about the whole being educated buyers, and opening up more lines of communication.

Midwest car club

Current rides:
                        91 accord lx (5spd)
                        92 accord lx (5spd)
                        93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

Ok, the bickering stops now... I'm going to go through and delete the crap. Any more posts about PAST transactions will result in warnings. This is rediculous.

We're trying to find a way to prevent this from happening. Talking about past dealings without a valid point is worthless.

Communication is key, first off. Make sure you have the contact info of the person. Face to face is best.

If you REALLY want security, have the person post the item on ebay and buy it immediately. Ebay will protect you better than simply paypal.
                          Last edited by deevergote; 07-07-2005, 03:19 PM.

Comment

true, ebay gives buyers a little more security, because you have a contract. That's how I bought R33's kit, just have them make a auction with a buy it now, and set it up at a time you'll both be on.

Still think we need a trader rating or something.
                            Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

i just try to deal with local cats, i know i miss out on a lot of deals but i know i won't get screwed and when i sale i don't have to deal with shipping.
                              CiRcuS kiNgZ

Comment

Working...
                              X