X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurse

Well, lately i been thinking of getting into nursing. Althought i am very
    much into cars. I wanted to attend Rich's school, Lincoln Tech, to get
    a Degree in Automotive Technology, but due to financial reasons, i didnt.
    Now lately i been meaning to get a n actual career. I've been looking
    to get into the nursing side of things. I know this kid that just finished Nursing
    school and its now working at a hospital near by. All he does is
    check patient's blood presure, temp etc. He also does X-Rays.
    The cool thing about it is that he gets like $17 p/Hr starting. So imagine
    how much he'll be making in 3 months.

It's like lately he's been blowing up. He has a white '00 4dr GSR.
    Since he got the job he's been able to Paint it (Element Orange)
    ITR 5 Lug conversion, and JDM Front End. So as you can see he's
    making alot of dough. Which leads me to my next point.
    Is it really worth it getting into this business?
    Who here is a nurse. is the Job difficult and whatnot?

alright guys let me know your inputs on this...

140hp Aint Shit on A Heavy Ass Car!

Dont let us sway you decision making...in the end man its ultimately up to you as to what you want to do with your life...

After all it is your choices in your life that will make an impact.

Thats the best advice I can give.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

I have a couple of friends that are in the Nursing field. It's a really good field to get into ($$$). The hard part is passing the "boards" to become an RN (registered nurse). Starting at that rate, is your friend a Nurse's assistant (either a CNA, LPN or a medical assistant)? Did your friend go to a Technical school or a 4yr school? But yeah, Nursing is a good field to get into especially if you pass the "boards." Like any other field, if you don't mind the studying and exams and all you should go for it.

Rob
      "Don't give up, don't ever give up" - Jimmy Valvano

Comment

Originally posted by br8knrun21
        I have a couple of friends that are in the Nursing field. It's a really good field to get into ($$$). The hard part is passing the "boards" to become an RN (registered nurse). Starting at that rate, is your friend a Nurse's assistant (either a CNA, LPN or a medical assistant)? Did your friend go to a Technical school or a 4yr school? But yeah, Nursing is a good field to get into especially if you pass the "boards." Like any other field, if you don't mind the studying and exams and all you should go for it.

Rob
        I'm not sure if he went to a Technical college or 4yr school.

Burtummm, are the boards that u speak off....also are there alot of exams and studying?

Comment

im a nursing major.. dun under estimate it that a guy being a nurse with a ba and average male nurse here in socal can make 35 an hour...so dun laugh...imagine with a masters and a phd how much more would u be making and all ull be doing is signing papers!!

to answer ur questions im not a nurse but i work with them and its cool schedules are really flexible so u can work and study if u want and the hardship depends on where u work at for example if u work at the er no duh its gonna be alot of stress comapre to working at a nursing home where u just look over the patients for the doctors
          So SIIC...

SoCal OG bitches...

Comment

I wouldn't spend time and money to do something that I wasnt really interested in. Sure, you may make money, but if you don't enjoy what you're doing, whats the point?

Comment

That is very true. But i mean, if its easy to be a Nurse, then why not
              give it a try. Come on, how hard is it to take X-rays?

Comment

I'm actually starting college in a month and a half or so, and nursing is my major. After tedious research, I found that while nurses make roughly half what doctors make, it pays more to be a nurse. First, you get much more interaction among people. Second, if you go into a private practice with a doctor, you do not have to carry mal-practice insurance (which is stupid amounts of money paid per month, BTW). Also, there are so many other fields you can go into after you get your BSN/RN degree. Personally I hope to become a nurse anesthetist (person who puts you to sleep before surgeries and such). Getting that extra two years in for the anesthesiology degree will immediately boost your pay by AT LEAST 1.5x. That may not seem like alot, but consider that the lowest average pay for a regular nurse is somewhere in the $130k range and you find that the money raise is ridiculous. All in all, it's up to you, but there are a few facts for you to crunch on for awhile. IMO, it's definitely worth considering.

And if I'm not mistaken, you can't get a RN/BSN degree from a technical college. You need to go the full four years. You can, however, get a pre-nursing degree from a tech college, then transfer to another college to finish it out.
                Last edited by Masamune; 07-03-2005, 11:23 PM.
                Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
                D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                ┴─┴
                ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

I dont think it would be a bad idea.
                  But alot of research is gonna have to be done by your part.
                  All i can say is study hard.

You can be one of those nurses that take ur blood pressure before u
                  see the actaul Doctors, the ones that take you into that
                  little room. I think thats pretty easy.

Comment

Tito, what's the website you got the top pic in your sig from? Is that the site that lets you see how your car looks dropped???

And good luck w/your career, sorry to go OT...

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by TiTo92E_X
                      That is very true. But i mean, if its easy to be a Nurse, then why not
                      give it a try. Come on, how hard is it to take X-rays?
                      harder than you would believe. difference between a portable xray and a pa and lateral? what if i ask for an ap (anteroposterior) view as opposed to a pa (posteroanterior view)? how do you get my 300 pound asthmatic patient a chest x ray? etc. etc. etc. and of course, i want my x rays to be good, because if the quality is piss poor, i have to order yet another one.

Originally posted by Masamune
                      I'm actually starting college in a month and a half or so, and nursing is my major. After tedious research, I found that while nurses make roughly half what doctors make, it pays more to be a nurse. First, you get much more interaction among people. Second, if you go into a private practice with a doctor, you do not have to carry mal-practice insurance (which is stupid amounts of money paid per month, BTW). Also, there are so many other fields you can go into after you get your BSN/RN degree. Personally I hope to become a nurse anesthetist (person who puts you to sleep before surgeries and such). Getting that extra two years in for the anesthesiology degree will immediately boost your pay by AT LEAST 1.5x. That may not seem like alot, but consider that the lowest average pay for a regular nurse is somewhere in the $130k range and you find that the money raise is ridiculous. All in all, it's up to you, but there are a few facts for you to crunch on for awhile. IMO, it's definitely worth considering.

And if I'm not mistaken, you can't get a RN/BSN degree from a technical college. You need to go the full four years. You can, however, get a pre-nursing degree from a tech college, then transfer to another college to finish it out.
                      on average, nurses do not make 130k. a nurse anesthetist might do well, but on average, they are not making 130k. don't get me wrong, nurses do ok to well, but 130k should not be expected, especially to start.

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE
                      I dont think it would be a bad idea.
                      But alot of research is gonna have to be done by your part.
                      All i can say is study hard.

You can be one of those nurses that take ur blood pressure before u
                      see the actaul Doctors, the ones that take you into that
                      little room. I think thats pretty easy.
                      nursing, at least in a hospital setting, is so much more than taking a blood pressure. you have to check up on your patients, dispense medications, get vital signs, make sure orders get done, make sure patients get to their scheduled test and studies, inform doctors of changes, inform doctors if they need to change a medication, etc. etc. nurses do a lot, and are an integral part of the health care team.

if you want it, go for it. but know that there will be lots of studying, as well as many days where you'll feel unappreciated, overworked, overstressed, etc. etc. if you can handle that, great. if not, consider a different career.

also, remember you have to get accustomed to taking orders from people like me.

just one doctor's opinion.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                        Tito, what's the website you got the top pic in your sig from? Is that the site that lets you see how your car looks dropped???
                        And good luck w/your career, sorry to go OT...
                        thats why we have the PM option

Originally posted by uncle_el
                        on average, nurses do not make 130k. a nurse anesthetist might do well, but on average, they are not making 130k. don't get me wrong, nurses do ok to well, but 130k should not be expected, especially to start.
                        nursing, at least in a hospital setting, is so much more than taking a blood pressure. you have to check up on your patients, dispense medications, get vital signs, make sure orders get done, make sure patients get to their scheduled test and studies, inform doctors of changes, inform doctors if they need to change a medication, etc. etc. nurses do a lot, and are an integral part of the health care team.
                        if you want it, go for it. but know that there will be lots of studying, as well as many days where you'll feel unappreciated, overworked, overstressed, etc. etc. if you can handle that, great. if not, consider a different career.

also, remember you have to get accustomed to taking orders from people like me.

just one doctor's opinion.
                        well stated el
                        about the salary, here in NYC, nurses start roughly between 58-65k. i have plenty of friends and family who are nurses, and i can only think of 2-3 people in my family who are just hitting the 100k+ salary because they have been in the profession for 20+ years.
                        its a great career choice, but this is something you MUST really want to do. it is NOT easy, and really any profession in the medical field: i.e. doctors, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, physician assts., social work are stressful jobs.
                        but do realize if you're willing to dedicate 4-5 years to study and become a RN, it pays off at the end. you'll be financially secured, and you can always find a job in the nursing industry because of its high demand.
                        5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                        JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Male nurses are in high demand, at least in my area. I've actually considered it, but the work itself really doesn't interest me enough to justify it (nursing is NOT a job you can do if you don't like it... you have to be 100% or you will be miserable... and it will show!) There is a great potential for money. I was talking to a woman a few months ago who said her son had just completed the nursing program at Camden County College (2 year school). She said he has the potential to make 70k a year simply because of the extra demand for male nurses. If you honestly think you will like the work then go for it. Think of the WORST thing you could possibly do... the hardest thing for you to handle (bathing, blood, excrement, infections, death) and really ask yourself if you can deal with it. If you think it would be something you could handle, then it might be the job for you! Nurses do a lot of hard work, but they are always helping people, so i have lots of respect!

Also, do you speak Spanish by any chance? A bilingual person would certainly be even more of a help, especially in areas with heavy hispanic populations (Philly and Camden both).

Comment

my friends mom is a ER nurse, and if you want that job you better have a strong stomach, i've heard some crazy stories from her, alot of them involving blood and guts. but she makes bank, there's alot of money in this field. but it's long hours and mind altering work. you work days at a time, and then get a few days off, but the money is there if you want it.

Comment

A usual nursing work week is 4 days of 12 hours on, 12 hours off... then 3 days off. I'm not sure if they have slightly more sane schedules availible.

Comment

Working...
                              X