No announcement yet.

Motor swaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i know somewhere i can get the motor and trans for about a grand. the wiring harness and ecu will probably be another 5-600. i will be doing most of the work and paint prep. Right now the budget is about 2500-3000. It might climb it might not. I can't tell as of yet. But we shall see what the future holds.
    1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    4.0L I-6 2WD
    293k miles, still running strong.
    Freshly rebuilt transmission.

Comment

i have also decided to buy some 03 or 04 Civic Si seats and put them in, there is one in a junkyard near my house and im grabbing em. he wants 300 for the pair, so i think im gonna buy em and do a DIY for the install
      4.0L I-6 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by CoPilot1
        i know somewhere i can get the motor and trans for about a grand. the wiring harness and ecu will probably be another 5-600. i will be doing most of the work and paint prep. Right now the budget is about 2500-3000. It might climb it might not. I can't tell as of yet. But we shall see what the future holds.
        add a zero to that . . . lots of fab for something like that, shit you dont even know it the toyota computer will control your guages or anything
        -Mark-
        CB7
        CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
        Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

thats why im getting the celica gauges too. and i dont need to add a 0 to it cuz im doing the work myself. i can weld, i can paint, and its not much more work than a normal motor swap
          4.0L I-6 2WD

Comment

I've always wanted a sr20det or f20c in my rear drive cb.

2 pipe dreams later.

Ain't gonna happen.
            members/ride | the/website
            180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

Anything can be done. It certainly won't be easy, but if someone can cram a V8 into a CB7, anything can be done!

You're right to assume there will be a lot of custom work. Chances are you'll be spending double what you expect, maybe more... depending on how well you can plan ahead. With something as original as you're planning, there may be a lot of trial and error. You might damage a tranny with an improper shifter setup. The axles may be wrong the first couple times... Your mounts will most likely need a couple tries to get it perfect. Of course, if you know how to plan for these possibilities, and how to avoid as many errors as possible before they happen, then who knows! Best of luck, and I wanna see pics!

Comment

i am going to contact The Driveshaft Shop and see about having some custom axles made to try and solve that problem. I agree with you about the trial and error on the motor mounts, shift linkage, etc. but hopefully fuck ups will be kept to a minimum.

A sidenote...Honestly i expected more people to diss the swap and give me shit about putting a Toyota motor in my car, but i guess i was wrong. Thanks for the props. This just goes to show that this website is the best overall in the way of how people are treated. Yea flaming goes on, but not usually without it being provoked. Anyway, thanks again guys. Pics will be posted as soon as things get under way.
                4.0L I-6 2WD

Comment

im back..felt stupid for saying it was the supra/sc400 motor...BUUUUUT anyways

yea i think the board has been a bit like a bunch of CB7 nazis...but most of the people who can even comprehend what you are undertaking have a higher maturity level and give props where props are due.

pardon my ignorance but which celica GTS did this motor come out of?..i have a friend who has a permenantly parked 88 corolla that needs some new love.

from what youve stated so far seems you got a lot covered. might be a few things overlooked..but it helps you are doing it all yourself..no "hidden" costs...GL and yes we would all want to see pics..LOTS of em

Comment

Originally posted by clarksterdotcom
                    and yes we would all want to see pics..LOTS of em
                    And if you dont post any, clarkster and i will find out where you live and cut off your big toe

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                    Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                    NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

FUCKIN Duh i will post about 35 pics after im done, and of course pics as we progress. Oh, and the 2ZZ-GE comes out of the 2000+ Celica GTS, you know all the goodness of VVTL-i and all. I will also be doing a DIY of 2003 Civic Si seats, unless its just a bolt in thing. I dont wanna loose my big toe, we have been together almost 22 years....we have a bond.
                      4.0L I-6 2WD

Comment

I was wondering why the Si seats were costing so much! I can't wait to see that!

From what previous discussions have revealed about the 2000+ GTS motor, they don't really seem like great motors. According to fizzbob7 (who has yet to NOT know a lot about everything...) that motor is quite peaky, and not the best motor as far as performance goes. That's perhaps the main reason why the Celica has gotten more popularity in the show/girlcar area, rather than performance (again, according to fizz and those that agree).

Still, it would be quite interesting to see that in a CB7! Honestly, the new Accord V6 with the 6 speed manual transmission would be much more drool-worthy, but the GTS motor will be cool simply for the originality factor!

Comment

The problem with the 2ZZ was that it didn't have a transmission geared to match it. THe 2zz is in the Corolla XRS now. It's a 1.8 tho, so its pretty much like dropping a B18c into an Accord, but I don't recall the torque numbers on the motor, so it might work.

Comment

i dont think it would be a good idea. nobody wants a torqueless beast in an accord.

and i too have thought about a rwd or awd accord. i could be possible. if i remember correctly there was an awd accord in japan, wagon i think. that might somehow be adaptable. wouldnt that be nice... boosted awd h22.

Comment

yea there was an AWD wagon in japan, it came with the H23 VTEC and was only an AUTO . . . but im sure it can be done, i mean ive seen a RWD civic before
                              -Mark-
                              CB7
                              CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                              Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

i am already adressing the torque issue by putting a high compression kit in. it bumps compression from 11.5:1 to 13.5:1 and produces ~250whp and 180wtq. along with some other add-ons, i should be fine in th torque dept. Trust me, i know about the 2ZZs lack of torque and am adressing it properly.
                                4.0L I-6 2WD

Comment

Working...
                                X