Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did honda force the import scene to explode like it did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did honda force the import scene to explode like it did?

nah, i think it was more of cheapness to maintain/gas mileage thing.
    Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

I dont so much think it was the EG Civic that paved the way. If anything I think it was their VTEC equipted motors. No other manufacturer had utilized a system like that before. Its main purpose was to provide decent gas mileage while increasing overall power and engine response in production cars. The funniest thing about it though, is that it was originally thought up for use in race motors.

I think thats why the import scene was mainly focused on Honda in the early 90's. People began to realize how potent these motors were once you figured out how to uncork their potential.

Also... the first mod most people do to their car is NOT wheels/tires, its the audio system and airbox (intake) that most people play with first. At least from what ive seen.

Comment

I agree...most poeople get an intake system upgrade first because it is one of the cheapest things to purchase....at least that is what I see...

Comment

^^^thats what i did, short ram intake my first mod

Comment

Did anyone find it weird that the Civic HX came with actual alloys and the EX came with hub caps? I never could understand that.

On a side note. Some buddies and I were at a softball game last night and we hear this loud obnoxious car. We all look up and its of course a current gen civic. The guy wouldn't shift out of first I swear! So about a half hour later we hear another ricer and I say I bet you its a civic. My buddy's all, you think its a civic? I'm like theres always a civic around! I look up and sure enough its a primer 92-95 civic coupe.
          "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

in the begining, like 10+ years ago all people did was put chrome wheels on their car and a stereo. perfofmance wasn't really all that important yet.jump 5 years and the first thing people try to get was intake and exhaust.wheels seem to be put off for a moment.maybe due to the fact that stock wheels are getting better looking and bigger. now they can buy them mostly done-up ex: evo, protoge. not to say that wheels would'nt be the first thing if they were cheaper.
            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by H22ACB7
              I dont so much think it was the EG Civic that paved the way. If anything I think it was their VTEC equipted motors. No other manufacturer had utilized a system like that before. Its main purpose was to provide decent gas mileage while increasing overall power and engine response in production cars. The funniest thing about it though, is that it was originally thought up for use in race motors.

I think thats why the import scene was mainly focused on Honda in the early 90's. People began to realize how potent these motors were once you figured out how to uncork their potential.

Also... the first mod most people do to their car is NOT wheels/tires, its the audio system and airbox (intake) that most people play with first. At least from what ive seen.
              I really agree with that ^ .. and people took to the CB7 really, really , really fast ..
              They were everywhere, it was such an obvious car to own/mod/drive ..Anywhere/anytime.

My first mod def was the intake also .. once again, I thought it was the obvious thing to do.

A Hui Hou !!!
              Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

gotta say that the rims where my 1st mod before anything i had some 17 inch silver wheels back in 97-02 that time it was my intake as well .. i didnt own my own accord till 01 . it was own by my dad .. and then my brother got his .. then it was both past to me lol ..
                "LAND OF THE GREAT"!! OSAKA,JAPAN

Comment

Originally posted by accordme93
                  Did anyone find it weird that the Civic HX came with actual alloys and the EX came with hub caps? I never could understand that.
                  Honda didn't put those wheels on the VX/HX for asthetic reasons, but rather for fuel milage. The VX and HX Civics are specially tuned and engineered for fuel milage. Those wheels are made from a magnisium alloy that weighs alot less than the steel wheels found on the rest of the Civic family. Have you ever picked up one of those thigs? lol....you can just about throw it up in the air with one hand.
                  00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

hey mrhonda, i kmow you have to of picked up an insite wheel (light as piss)
                    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I would love to see a picture of a 90 Accord hooked up with the a body kit back in those years (if they existed).

Comment

Originally posted by fac90
                        I would love to see a picture of a 90 Accord hooked up with the a body kit back in those years (if they existed).

I have some "Battle of the Imports" drag pics that I took in 1994. Will have to post them up

Comment

I almost bought wheels as my first mod... I'm glad the H22 wound up being first though (seeing as I was going to get some chrome 18" Focal wheels )

But yeah, I have to agree that Honda intended their designs to be as inexpensive and efficient as possible. Especially for the US market, which didn't give a damn about performance in a cheap Japanese car. They had a reputation for being cheap, efficient, and reliable... That was what Honda focused on for the most part.
                          So no, I don't think Honda intentionally forced the import modding boom. They may have had an influence indirectly (in fact, I'm sure of it... well made engines, decent looking cars, prices low enough for curious young-uns to experiment...) Not intentional though. Not in the US. Perhaps in Japan, where people gave a damn. We always got the watered-down, limited-run versions of the performance models.

The way I see it, from the point of view of anyone born in the 80s, you can look at Hyundai as they are now to see how Hondas evolved. Hyundai is about 10 years behind Honda in terms of performance inspired cars.

Elantra GT = Civic Si
                          Tiburon = Prelude
                          Sonata = Accord (seems like a poor performance choice, but the Mitsubishi 4G63 comes in em... a turbo swap is similar to an H22 swap )

Watch for the Korean performance boom in the next few years!

Comment

mine was shaving the accord and ex embelm and then wheels...
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I know VTEC has been around since the 80's, We were just discussing this the other night. Ferrari has been using Variable Valve Timing for along time. I think Honda was the first one to really use it in an affordable car. My first mods were wheels/suspension on all my cars. I like to get the aggressive look first.

Comment

Working...
                              X