Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hooliganism ruined what was to be a fine day for a drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooliganism ruined what was to be a fine day for a drive!

1am: woke up

2am: went for a two hour drive to Colorado Springs

4am...ish: discovered that a bunch of other people had the same idea, and a fun drive up a beautiful mountain was ruined by near stand-still traffic. These people were coming out from all over, too! Some guys I sat with claimed to be from Austria, and another nearby group sounded like they were from Ukraine or something.

830am: some of these people started to get a bit more enthusiastic about going for a drive than I. Maniacs! Just look what they did to the road!

At least I had this small window of a view to look at while I paitiently waited for them to tire:

7pm ish: the maniacs decided they were finished just as it started to snow/rain. Just my luck. I spent the next hour or so waiting for everyone to clear the mountain in turn.

10pm: got back home, covered my sun-burned face and arms in aloe, then went to sleep. One of the longest days of the year, wasted.

Yeah, well, we'll see who has the last laugh. I got pictures of most of the hooligans and will be turning them into the authorities. In order of appearance:

100th Anniversary (94th running) of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
    Sunday, June 26, 2016

I guess this guy was just getting a feel for the track. He wasn't on it too hard, and then reported over the radio the road conditions for the bikers. There was ice near the summit at the start, so officials tried to clear that up before sending more racers out.

Acura was the main sponsor after Gran Turismo. This was the first of their three pace cars, which was followed up by... some sedan and SUV, I don't know or care what computer part number they were named after.

I'm not huge on bikes, so I didn't capture them all. Also, excuse the zoomed-out images. It's my first time taking action shots with this camera, so I was playing it safe. And to pile on one more excuse, the best spot for spectating, Devil's Playground, was full before I got there. So I don't really have any variety in angles here... next year I'll leave earlier.

Doo doo-doo. There is an awful lot of just sitting and waiting at PPIHC. Between red flags and gaps between the drivers, it was a very long day.

This guy was being red-flagged as he rounded this corner, but he ignored it and kept on it. From what I heard, the rider before him hit a guardrail.

Safety car goes up, followed shortly after by an ambulance, then a medical chopper. I believe the rider was flown to the hospital. The flagged rider is sent back down the mountain to try again.

These guys were insane to watch! The balls on that "monkey"!

This was my view for the day. George's Corner at Cove Creek. No ground-level spectating allowed here, unfortunately.

There were I think three overtakings today.

As clear a sign as any that the days of Pikes Peak being a rally course are gone.

Millen making his EV record-setting run.

All-electric NSX making its climb. It was almost hilarious watching any electric vehicle drive past - and there were a lot, including bikes - because on a count of no engine noise, they all had to use these sirens that sounded like cheap car alarms just so marshals, other drivers, etc could hear them coming.

Open-wheelers was another class I wasn't much interested in, so I didn't take many photos of them.

Mr. Escudo himself, "Monster" Tajima in an EV. I think he placed third or so; definitely not King of the Mountain anymore.

Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-27-2016, 07:12 PM.

Accord Aero-R

This E30 was one of the coolest cars there, imo.

V8-swapped 914.

A guy on this team told me that gray a- and c-pillar area was pretty much the only stock part of the body. The rest was carbon, some off the shelf aftermarket, some custom built.

Okay, this open-wheeler I loved. It just looks awesome, lol.

I was really not liking the new NSX. Gotta say, though, it's grown on me big time.

I kinda want to build a pickup truck for the street. Something small, for sure, like a Colorado would be cool.

See what I mean about playing it safe with the photos? Almost lost him.

Dat diffuser, though...

And the best livery of the day goes to...

So nice, I had to shoot her twice. Yeah... she was one of the many cars red-flagged and sent back to the bottom. Don't know why I took another photo of this woman, but there you have it.

Ferrari Films presents...

The noise this thing produced, I thought an uber-loud sports bike was coming up. I was pleasantly surprised.

The daddy. Wow, this was a thing to behold for me.

I remember this car from the 2010 race when there were still two long dirt sections.

One of my main reasons for going. Fast N' Loud is one of the few shows I watch... from what Aaron said today, this new season is going to be really good too!

The only semi there, and I think the only diesel. A car failure ahead of him meant he recieved a red flag pretty close to the summit. On his second run, I believe I heard over the radio that he slid off and got a DNF. One hell of a truck though.

Got the red flag here. Don't know why he shut the car off; it must have been carbureted because he had a hard time starting it back up.

Sorry, I dont know why these last few cars came out all blurry...

Went looking for the merchandise stand. I was disappointed for the second time. No t-shirt

It's okay dude, I'm with the press... with my Galaxy cam.

RCR?

The view from well below the Start line.

And then there was this sexy devil.... mmmmmm.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing all the cool photos! Pikes Peak has always been one of the big courses for me... that, the 'ring, and maybe a handful of others have always stood out to me. I'd love to be able to watch that sometime!

Comment

Yeah, 24hrs of Nurburgring is something I want to attend before I die, as well as drive the track myself in a car preferably from a brand not sold in the US.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

There's at least one place there that lets you rent a car to take out on the 'ring. Tippey (if you remember him) did that sometime last year. It sounded like fun... though a bit nerve-wracking.
          Germany is probably going to be my next big trip, as my wife's family is from there. We'll definitely be taking a trip to the Nurburgring!

Comment

Bloody hoons..
            sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

I saw a Lancia today too at the farmers market!

Awesome photos. I'm jealous.

Comment

Thats one place I wanted to visit but I heard you can't really drive on it unless you thoroughly check your brakes as they wear pretty fast on the ride down.

I was actually 20 mins from Pikes Peak when I went to C Springs.
                Henry R
                Koni/Neuspeed
                1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

The trick to keeping your brakes on a day when you're free to drive the mountain is to take the uphill non-stop, then visit all the scenic pull-offs on your way down. There's a booth about half way down where a guy checks your brake temp, as well as a parking lot to stop in to let them cool if you're instructed to do so. With all of the people attending the race, they don't do temp checks; the amount of traffic alone is usually enough to force you to stay in low gear. With traffic, I stayed in second gear and didn't have to use my brakes much. But it did help that most of the people didn't realize that for race day they were allowed to use the left lane nearly all the way down, so I had it almost to myself. I was so glad I have sway bars and coilovers done on this car!

And Chris... no way, a Delta Stradale in America?! That's a lucky spotting.
                  Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-28-2016, 11:09 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

ya, thanks for sharing! People like myself in Canada never get to see such things!

Comment

Just noticed this: his door is open

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                        And Chris... no way, a Delta Stradale in America?! That's a lucky spotting.
                        It's actually an HF Delta Integrale!

Most Rallye wins of any car! When I first glanced at it driving in, I thought it was a Golf Rallye, and was like WTF when I saw it was an Italian legend. When I got back from shopping it was gone...

Comment

Wow, dude good shots! Thanks for sharing. I would love to attend Pikes Peak one day!

Was this your first time?

Comment

^ Second time. I went in 2010 when there were still a couple long dirt sections. Which is why I have slightly mixed feelings about the race now. It used to be such a big deal back then to break under 11 minutes but now a handful of people have gotten into the 8s fairly easily.

Some shots I took of the course in '10; I was at Devil's Playground and had so much more access to different views and corners:

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                            It's actually an HF Delta Integrale!

Most Rallye wins of any car! When I first glanced at it driving in, I thought it was a Golf Rallye, and was like WTF when I saw it was an Italian legend. When I got back from shopping it was gone...
                            Argh, I was mixing up car names in my head, lol, I knew that. I meant Integrale.
                            Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-29-2016, 07:08 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Wow, that is incredible.

That is a great spot for photography, indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X