Which diesel truck would y'all choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which diesel truck would y'all choose?

Times come to upgrade trucks from my 97 half ton ram to a diesel. My budget is to stay below 20k. I'm pulled more toward the 7.3's and "bullet proofed" 6.0 power strokes, due to power, mileage, reliability, decent interior, body and frames tend to withstand rust better. Of course they have their flaws as we'll, where others come out on top. This is why I'm posting this on this site it's about as far from unbiased replies as one can get.

Trucks uses will be to used as a truck is intended to be used an abused often, need a back seat decent mileage, reliability, cost of repairs, and decent to look at inside an out. I'm looking to buy in the near future.

02 Crv
    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

I have absolutely no experience with diesels or trucks in general... but I've always bought into the Cummins hype. To me, they've always been the end-all for diesel powerplants for me. If I was shopping for a truck, I'd probably go Dodge for that reason. I prefer the style of the 2nd gen Ram over the 3rd and 4th, though... although I assume in your price range, you'd probably be looking at 4th gens, or really nice 3rd gens.

Comment

Shoot 2nd gens are still 10-17k for good ones. The problem with the 2nd gens (which is what my 1500 is) is crapy interior 99% of the dashes crack to pieces. With the cummins I will agree toughest engines IMO, but not so good transmission wise (which most in that gen and my price has a built trans) and pretty costly once something breaks on the cummins engine. Though stouter and dang near the best engine put in a passenger truck if something were to break (say I get a dud in a few thousand miles) I don't want to be replacing outragous prices which with any used vehicle there's that chance and I'm taking every thing with them all into consideration.

Plus a change in scenery would nice.

02 Crv
      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.

Comment

or

12 valve Cummins.

Comment

I do love a first gen ram with a 12v but they fetch a premium for something that old and I like the look of them but a little old for my liking because me being me if it was in decent shape I'd restore it an then be afraid to drive it and use it as I need to. And with the 2nd gen 12v whelp I'm probably just gonna stay away unless in tip top shape and a 97+ because getting a loan on any of these probably wouldn't happen due to age most banks and lenders round here want 97+. If I could find a decent deal on a 24v that had mint interior and a warranted built rear end and trans for 10-13k I'd give one a look see.

As for the 7.3 I have my eye on a 00 that I know personally from a good buddy, I'm the one who put the ts 6 position chip in it, intake and turbo back 5inch which woke the truck up a tremendous amount. It's a f-350 lariat, extended cab, leather/power seats, aftearket bullet holes, 171k real clean truck he'd take 10k but the truck will need turbo petisel seals in the future. I'm not above getting an Idi square body if I could sell my ram and buy one straight out instead of going indebt which would suit me just fine but the ram has few bites yet.

I also have my eye on an 07 f-350 super duty crew cab king ranch 6.0, studded heads, bullet proofed, xd wheels and a 4inch exhaust, it's a slick truck inside and out and the 6.0 makes gobes of power (love the whistle of them) it has 218k on it and the lot wants 18900, same lot my brother got his 05 f-350 king ranch from.

I do also really like a durmax but after putting rocker panels and cab corners in atleast 50 trucks I'm probably gonna steer clear, though IMO has the best power plant and trans combo of them all.

02 Crv

Comment

218k isn't a lot for a decent 07 F350 priced at under twenty thousand.

Comment

Yeah which is why I may try and get it my brother paid 24k for his after said an done and his was an older 6.0 king ranch but lower miles a few upgrades an a live wire programmers. I really have no issues with higher mileage diesels as their just that diesels. If kept pretty stock ya can't really beat em.
              Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 05-08-2016, 12:04 AM.

02 Crv

Comment

I always try to buy from someone I know. Better deals, less chances of getting screwed and you also kinda know the vehicle a bit more over a prolonged period of time that way too.

Comment

I mean the 00 7.3 Matt has is a nice truck probably fits every need I have expect being not being a crew cab and sounding/reminding me of a school bus. One thing I am weary about on them is the transmissions known to be an issue once approaching 200k, though I was with him when he bought it and he is the second owner tons of service records an the the typical universal mid 90s to early 2000s ford interiors I wouldn't mind his all things considering. With the stuff done it's right on par with a stock 6.0.

02 Crv

Comment

Maybe got a buyer for the ram, suppose to check it out tomorrow, if so ima try to get me a truck even sooner than I expected and will have to get down to the nitty gritty on finding one.

02 Crv

Comment

duramax
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

or for some real work...with a Trailblazer in the bed of course and a 100gal transfer tank.

Comment

Working...
                        X