No announcement yet.

Am I better off parting out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he does all that, he might as well continue building it. He's done with it and pretty much wants it to be gone with as small as a loss as possible. If he puts $500 more into it, I highly doubt he will get that back.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

"Spend more money on it" isn't really the most sound advice lol. Anyways it's good to have other people's opinions in on the matter.

Comment

I'm talking small fixes like install the window regulator you already paid for? Or get an alignment so someone can get a good test drive?

Do what you will, you're going to anyways.
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

^ This. I disagree with Theos. Stock can be a very good look with an H swap... it's a sleeper. And personally I like the painted trim; makes it look more modern to my eye. Fix the annoying things you can easily do through parts you already have or quick junkyard visits. P/S should be made to work; no one but a real enthusiast would want to go without (I don't even want to go without again). I bet it wouldn't take long to find a trunk in that color in a jy... if it's factory. The only other major cosmetic thing I'd do is take the wheels back to silver if it can be done easily/cheaply. It simply looks more mature.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
            I'm talking small fixes like install the window regulator you already paid for? Or get an alignment so someone can get a good test drive?

Do what you will, you're going to anyways.
            My post was directed towards putting coilovers and shit on it. Yours is sound advice

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
            ^ This. I disagree with Theos. Stock can be a very good look with an H swap... it's a sleeper. And personally I like the painted trim; makes it look more modern to my eye. Fix the annoying things you can easily do through parts you already have or quick junkyard visits. P/S should be made to work; no one but a real enthusiast would want to go without (I don't even want to go without again). I bet it wouldn't take long to find a trunk in that color in a jy... if it's factory. The only other major cosmetic thing I'd do is take the wheels back to silver if it can be done easily/cheaply. It simply looks more mature.
            I think I'm just gonna fix the little things like power steering and the regulator etc and relist it in a few months when it's nicer out. Probably not gonna mess with paint but I'll do what I can to get it nice looking

Appreciate the insight guys

Comment

Looking at your listing, if it was my sale, I would take care of what I've got listed below, then edit it to read like this in an attempt to appeal to a larger demographic. I list Phearable's website so the buyer has the opportunity to check them out and see that they're a reputable team and not eBay garbage.

1990 Honda Accord LX

- Manual transmission conversion, in great working order.

- 200hp Prelude engine swap to better cope with modern traffic. Includes new OEM: timing belt; water pump; crank, cam, & rear main seals; and valve cover gasket; Aftermarket parts include a conversion from the factory automatic to a more reliable Kaizenspeed manual timing belt tensioner, Innovative polyurethane engine mounts, AEM fuel rail, higher-flowing OEM Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G63 fuel injectors, and an ECU base map tune by Phearable.net. Engine runs strong! Mild-mannered but can still offer up some good fun!

- Suspension maintenance includes new front upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, as well as new wheel bearings, and brake pads & rotors.

- Alloy wheels with plenty of life left on the tires.

- Heater blows hot! [Only worth mentioning if it's a winter sale]

Asking $2500 or will consider trade for a 4x4 Tahoe, automatic Civic/Accord in decent shape, or automatic/4wd CRV.
              - Fix the idle issue.
              - Update the pictures to reflect: the P/S install. The transmission actually bolted to the block. Those are the biggest scares in my eyes. Vacuum the car. Take the seat covers off (or are they that bad underneath?)
              - Install the window regulator
              - Replace the trunk with a junkyard panel.
              - Get an alignment
              - Get the speakers working
              - Install the stock clutch, Stage 2 is not necessary on a stock engine and it will scare some buyers away. Sell it separately.
              - No need to mention the money you've got in it or that you're bailing on a project.
              - $2500 isn't a bad price imo, especially if you take care of all these fixes.

In short, you should be able to fix what all appear to be small issues, then emphasize the car's strong points. You want to paint an accurate and attractive picture with your ad without lying or hiding anything.
              Last edited by CyborgGT; 12-16-2015, 11:04 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Looking at your listing, if it was my sale, I would take care of what I've got listed below, then edit it to read like this in an attempt to appeal to a larger demographic. I list Phearable's website so the buyer has the opportunity to check them out and see that they're a reputable team and not eBay garbage.
                I appreciate it man, I'll definitely format the ad much better when I repost it.

- Fix the idle issue.
                - Update the pictures to reflect: the P/S install. The transmission actually bolted to the block. Those are the biggest scares in my eyes. Vacuum the car. Take the seat covers off (or are they that bad underneath?)
                Seats aren't good...trans is bolted to block not sure what you mean../maybe angle of picture throwing you off?
                - Install the window regulator
                Agreed
                - Replace the trunk with a junkyard panel.
                I'll see if I can find one the same color, I work at a body shop and repainting cost much more than what I'm willing to spend on this car but I'll see what I can do
                - Get an alignment
                Agreed, I'll just see if one of the guys can knock it out after hours for some beer or whatever.
                - Get the speakers working
                Gonna ebay the FUCK out of some speakers
                - Install the stock clutch, Stage 2 is not necessary on a stock engine and it will scare some buyers away. Sell it separately.
                This is my first stick car so any clutch is dramatic too me, I've since had several people drive it and it's rather normal to them so I'll let it fly.
                - No need to mention the money you've got in it or that you're bailing on a project.
                - $2500 isn't a bad price imo, especially if you take care of all these fixes.

In short, you should be able to fix what all appear to be small issues, then emphasize the car's strong points. You want to paint an accurate and attractive picture with your ad without lying or hiding anything.
                Pretty much agree with this whole post...I'll just do what I can for cheap and list it in a few months for whatever I can get

Comment

Well damn man! You work at a body shop. Get another trunk, see if you can mix up matching paint at work or if the local paint shop can mix some up for you, you don't need much for just the lid. Slap that bad boy on there. Paint the molding black too, some time with a cheap can of trim black and some tape and paper, will make the car look less abused lol. detail the hell out of it. How bad are the seats? ripped, bad foam? Or just dirty? Clean them if so, or just find some matching seats.
                  1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Yeah I actually work at a Honda dealer with a body shop attached lol. Seats have seen better days but I don't think anyone buying a car this old can expect perfect condition seats. I might get bored one of these days and fix some other stuff on it in the next few months. I really wanted something else to drive for the winter but oh well...this new job has a shit ton of traffic to and from work which is the main reason I don't want the car anymore, screw 5spd in traffic when my other cars are auto so I just take one of those instead

Comment

Some motivation
                      http://www.apidaonline.com/index.php...rt-of-the-flip

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The painted trim would be fine if it wasn't all chipped up, I had it painted on my old car. Painting it black would be an easy, cost affective fix. I would agree on painting the wheels back to silver and throwing the front plate in its normal position for a stock look.

Unfortunately the sleeper idea doesn't really seem to be working out to well for you, and that Is why I suggested to do a few more things to the car to get it to what most people would want it as. Cyborg may be one of the few people that are interested in it the way it is now, but most people now want something that is a little bit more "done up" sometimes you have to put money into a vehicle you are selling to add value. Take it for what its worth from me, but I have bought and sold over 40 vehicles since I was 16 years old, and I have managed to make a profit on every one but two.

Comment

Very glad I posted this thread, I've got like a second wind to finish this car properly. Good thing is I got all the expensive shit done and can now focus on cheap things to make it better. Also gives me and my friends something to do between everything listed since none of us have project cars this winter. Be on the lookout for the end result in a few months, it's gonna be decent.

Comment

Theos, I'm just thinking along the lines of putting minimal work into a car he's not keeping. If I was in the Wheeler Dealers kind of game trying to put out a nice "turn key" car that the owner would have to put zero effort into having something they'd be proud to live with as is, I'd go your route with wheels and fixing all the tiny paint imperfections. But as Moore just wants to get rid of the car, it's money down the drain. The paint's not bad at all for a 25 year old car. Putting effort just into the real issues will help him get rid of the car quicker, which sounds like the only goal. It's the mechanical issues that would scare me away from the purchase. Fix the trunk, and it'll look great on the outside, compared to all the CBs out there with rust and tons of dings.

As for the tranny not being bolted up, look at the third to last photo in the ad. There's a huge gap between the block and trans. Get rid of that photo; it looks like something you took during the swap rather than after.

* ED. - Oh damn, that's a rod or cable or something. My bad, haha! That is trippy.
                            Last edited by CyborgGT; 12-16-2015, 07:07 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I agree with cyborg on this one. Even if you were to buy rims for the car to make it look more appealing, would those rims be appealing to the new owner or just you. I know you already said the easy things though, just stating my opinion.

Comment

Theos, I'm just thinking along the lines of putting minimal work into a car he's not keeping. If I was in the Wheeler Dealers kind of game trying to put out a nice "turn key" car that the owner would have to put zero effort into having something they'd be proud to live with as is, I'd go your route with wheels and fixing all the tiny paint imperfections. But as Moore just wants to get rid of the car, it's money down the drain. The paint's not bad at all for a 25 year old car. Putting effort just into the real issues will help him get rid of the car quicker, which sounds like the only goal. It's the mechanical issues that would scare me away from the purchase. Fix the trunk, and it'll look great on the outside, compared to all the CBs out there with rust and tons of dings.

As for the tranny not being bolted up, look at the third to last photo in the ad. There's a huge gap between the block and trans. Get rid of that photo; it looks like something you took during the swap rather than after.

* ED. - Oh damn, that's a rod or cable or something. My bad, haha! That is trippy.
                                Bro you were FREAKING me out as soon as I got home I was looking at my car for a while like...did I really fuck something up that bad??? Hahahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X