Am I better off parting out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I better off parting out?

So I built this cb7 a few months ago...turns out I don't like it. We don't have to go in to reasons why and all that. But it seems there is zero interest in this chassis. I've already accepted the fact that I basically poured ~5000 over the past year into a trashcan and set it on fire, but I'm not getting any bites whatsoever on this thing. Am I better off parting out?

Here's the details
    95 jdm h22a swap
    New:
    timing belt
    water pump
    crank seal
    cam seals
    rear main seal
    kaizen speed h22a manual tensioner
    valve cover gasket
    ALL OEM HONDA PARTS
    No balance shaft belt currently on the car
    Aem fuel rail/gauge, stock h22 regulator
    450cc dsm injectors
    phearable ecu with custom basemap

innovative 5spd swap mounts, no front mount
    m2f4 trans, no pops no grinds, runs fine.
    Bought the trans swap as a bundle, not sure what brand clutch but was told some random brand stage 2, is a bit touchy as it was intended for a turbo prelude but works fine. I have a stock clutch and flywheel to go with the car if this bothers you but I'm sure it won't.

Suspension:

New upper control arms
    Inner tie rods
    Outer tie rods
    Lower Ball joints
    Wheel bearings
    Rotors
    Pads

EX alloys with 195/60r15 tires with really good tread
    It's not so much about the money...although I'd like atleast SOMETHING for what it is, it's more about freeing up the space for my next project and getting over this whole ordeal. What do you guys think? What would you do?

i parted out my race car. i tihnk it was worth about 5k and got around 3k back.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Part it out. Our chassis is not a popular one, and no one is going to buy a modded cb for over $2k anytime soon. So if you can wait, you'll probably get a max of 3k for the car OR sell the Motor/Trans/ECU, swap an f22a6 in there and sell the whole car, stock.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

That might be the best route sonik, I just don't have the time to mess with this thing anymore. I'd probably take somewhere between 2000-2500 for it and might get a little less than that trying to put a stock motor back in and selling the H separate and wasting all that time lol. Really regretting getting in to building this car now, massive waste of time and money

Comment

I guess it's too late to tell you this, but building a car like this that isn't mainstream popular isn't profitable, build a Civic or something if you want to get money out of it. This is the reason I don't sell cars I like.
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Perhaps you misunderstood, I'm not trying to get a profit out of this thing, I just want it gone period.

Comment

This whole hobby is technically a waste of money, sucks but that's just the way it is. I've come to see it as a learning experience versus flushing money.

How long have you had it for sale?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Been on craigslist 2 months or so and forums and what not for about a month. Havn't had 1 text/call/email. Figured I'd at least get lowballed and just go with that LOL. I guess you're right about the learning experience. Didn't know anything going into this and have since swapped a couple other cars

Comment

You'd have to get something classic, and be able to do as much of the work yourself as possible for any hope of getting your money (or potentially a profit) back. American cars are an obvious choice, but lately Japanese cars have really been gaining value. Something like a 240Z would be a great investment while prices are still on the rise. Datsun 510s and Z31s will likely go up as well with the recent celebration of Paul Newman's life since he was a big Nissan guy.

But anyway, I'd imagine parting out would get you more money in this case. For just wanting it gone, slowly lower the price until someone bites.
                  Last edited by CyborgGT; 12-15-2015, 03:42 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Im not trying to get profit lol just don't want to let it go for nothing...I've spent way too much in the past year on this car so even letting it go for 2 would still kinda leave a sting. I'm gonna be buying another truck soon and this is gonna have to sit in the back of my yard and just...rot when that happens, would be a shame but it is what it is I guess

Comment

throw some on c list and some on ebay. it'll get it gone. throw some on here and build your selling rep while you're at it. too bad u felt it was a waste of time
                      <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Parting out is your only option at this point. As soon as I read your CL listing below I was out. Yeah for 3k or 2,500 a cb7 has to be in better shape. Not many are willing to inherit someone else's build issues.

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5338792655.html

1990 accord LX started as auto but has been swapped to manual with h22a.
                        Car has a few issues, but runs and drives.
                        Idles low after a long drive like 1+hour
                        driver window doesn't roll down, needs a regulator(I have the part just haven't installed)
                        Needs an alignment because I replaced everything in the front end
                        Pretty good sized dent in the trunk
                        Only like 2 speakers work lol

Comment

Such a shame...a few little things kills a whole build. Tough lesson to learn. Think I'm gonna just take a weekend and pull the motor/trans/harness/ecu/mounts and scrap the shell or something. I'm half tempted to let a salvage yard pick it up as is just to not deal with it haha

Comment

Little things? haha no wonder you can't sell it. Sorry but not doing the basics on a build, don't expect top dollar for your car. If I'm paying on the high end of the market for a car, I'm expecting something I can hop in and drive! Not doing little things makes people think You've taken shortcuts elsewhere. I'm not being down on you bro, just trying to give you advice. Like if you spent $5k to swap the engine and bought quality parts, etc, why not drop the $80 to get it aligned? Or spend 30 mins of your time to install the new window regulator? That can't be harder than a 5 speed swap.

Also, you are advertising at a bad time of year. Everybody is broke from the holidays. My advice, if you aren't hurting for cash, take down your ad. Spend a little time and money to fix the little things. Re-write your ad and don't mention issues, since you'll have fixed all those, and then post it around march or april. By that time people will be getting tax returns back and they'll be hungry for a toy to spend it on. Trust me. Again not downing you here bro, just helping you with some advice. All those shows where they fix up cars and flip them, they make money cuz they finished the car! People with money to blow on top dollar cars don't wanna deal with issues.
                            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Here are your issues. The majority of the people that are looking to get into Hondas nowadays; if they do not build the car themselves, they are mainly concerned about looks+performance. No one is going to drop money on a car that looks like a stock accord. Your car needs some minor cosmetic work to make it more sellable. You can start off by painting the trim back to black, the one solid color thing kinda makes it look like a cheap respray, plus its chipping up in a few spots on the molding. Next, I would give her a little drop, then pick up some decent aftermarket wheels. You can probably take care of everything for under $500 (paint is maybe $20, you can pick up a cheap set of rotas or something on craigslist, and swap your tires over , $200-250 for those, and a set of lowering springs, $200 for those) If you did all of that stuff plus fixed the existing issues, you probably would have a lot more interest.

If you don't want to do anything and sell it as is, you would probably be better off parting it out, selling the swap, and either selling the shell for a few hundred bucks or swaping the stock motor back in and selling it for maybe about $1200-1500.

Comment

Working...
                              X