Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost Bought a CB9 Today

Hey all,

I just wanted to share a story today about my almost-purchase of a 91 EX-R wagon. I actually gave him an offer that he accepted, but I ended up walking away from the deal after a quick call to my mechanic. I think I made the right decision, but maybe I can get some ideas from folks here if it was worth walking away from. Here's what I saw/experienced.

1991 Honda Accord Wagon EX-R bought from Dalt's Honda in Orillia Ontario in 1991, apparently maintained exclusively there and was the original owner's son selling the car. No service records as they were still in Orillia.

Exterior thoughts:
    Dented/scratched hood with a bit of rust, rust holes in rear fenders, poorly patched with playdoh and rubber still attached which caused the rust in the first place. Paint was OK, and still had the original pinstripe, though falling off. Wheels in good condition, and no rust along the doors, wheel wells or windows. Front windshield was cracked in 3 places.

Interior thoughts:
    Non-working A/C (deal killer for me), fuel door latch replaced with rusted coat hanger. All 4 windows work but rolled up slowly, however the sunroof worked flawlessly. Top of steering wheel was no longer glued to the wheel and could be moved forward and back. Dirty seats but no rips, yet strong cigarette smell throughout. Power mirrors worked for the most part, but clicked when positioning. Rear windshield fluid never sprayed, and power antenna had issues retracting.

Driving thoughts:
    Several holes in the exhaust and muffler. Sounded like garbage driving around. Brakes worked well yet sounded like something was moving around in the roof/A-pillar when heavy braking applied, engine was smooth although screeched when started up. Steering felt normal. Drove a lot like my current CB7.

Deciding thoughts:
    He told me the car is leaking like crazy due to the damaged windshield, and the transmission will get stuck in second while driving and the S light will turn on. The entire engine is covered in oil, thick sticky dirty oil. The ignition also thinks the key is always inserted after removing it, thus chiming indefinitely.

He was up front about the car being a winter beater, and based on the condition it was pretty obvious. I'm not worried about mechanical or body issues as those can be fixed, but the A/C and the fact that so many small things were broken that I ended up walking away.

Here's where I'm sure I'll get some heat. The car was listed for $600CND, which is like $50 US now. I offered him $300 and he accepted it. Since I walked away he'll be sending it to the scrap yard. I felt it was too far gone, and didn't want to sleep on the couch for buying another car without A/C. Here are some photos from the original ad. Any questions? What would you have done?

I think I would've walked away too.

I just spent two weeks in SC and GA and seeing all the cb7s that are rust free was really making me want to come down here in the future and pick one up. It's amazing how a 25 year old car can make it this long without rusting through! It's too bad I can't find anything like that in NY.
    Originally posted by cb7dazz
    And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    ...for example

Comment

at least he was up front with u. Thats a quality that is hard to find nowadays with people selling cars on c list. Too many shady people.
      <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Lol, I'm kinda in the same boat right now. There's a '91 EX wagon with a manual transmission in Denver... looks amazing (says it overheats despite new radiator, and odo is wrong due to intermittent speedo; both easy fixes), but I was planning on getting a 92/93 because I really want the ABS and manual belts.

Can't tell if I see rust on this side

Asking $1500... I'm working up the cash, and if by some stroke of luck it's still there when I get it, I may actually "settle" for the older model. 9293s are so rare in the EX-wagon-manual combo, and this one's already got great interior and exterior colors. And little to no rust. I gotta admit, this thing's got me excited.
        Last edited by CyborgGT; 08-08-2015, 01:19 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

There's a pretty nice rust free and clean white 92 or 93 manual wagon in my area. Ad says 91 but i can clearly see manual belts and orange front bumper lights. Probably an LX though since it has hubcabs. Don't know the price though. 187k, pretty clean blue interior.

Its all Gud! I have a feeling they're filopino haha http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/5141735689.html

Last edited by Losiracer2; 08-08-2015, 02:34 AM.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
            Lol, I'm kinda in the same boat right now. There's a '91 EX wagon with a manual transmission in Denver... looks amazing (says it overheats despite new radiator, and odo is wrong due to intermittent speedo; both easy fixes), but I was planning on getting a 92/93 because I really want the ABS and manual belts.
            Did you look at it in person? 91 Wagons have manual belts since they came with an airbag...might have ABS too
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Both of those wagons look infinitely nicer than the one I saw :/ love the green, I think it would be my second choice for colour. The dark grey on the one I saw was really nice, and would look good beside my current sedan.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                Did you look at it in person? 91 Wagons have manual belts since they came with an airbag...might have ABS too
                ?!?!?!?!?! WTF don't say that!!! Now I'm hating myself even more for being so bad with saving money. I know ABS was an option on 91s, but Wiki (yeah) says it was rarely selected. I haven't seen it in person, it's an hour away and nobody likes tire kickers.

Losi, yours is an LX. No sunroof.
                Last edited by CyborgGT; 08-08-2015, 11:20 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post

Can't tell if I see rust on this side

Asking $1500... I'm working up the cash, and if by some stroke of luck it's still there when I get it, I may actually "settle" for the older model. 9293s are so rare in the EX-wagon-manual combo, and this one's already got great interior and exterior colors. And little to no rust. I gotta admit, this thing's got me excited.
                  There is absolutely rust on that side. There's a reason there's a bunch of photos and they've conveniently missed the passenger rear quarter. I can see it in the photos.

Comment

That's what I was thinking. Still doesn't look like much.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Just FYI, Wagons in the 91 year did not come with ABS. They do come with driver's air bag and manual belts.

First thing I did with mine was do a rear disc swap, along with the 40/40. Now my red 92 has ABS.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                      JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Yeesh, rear drums is a let-down too. I thought all EXs had discs. Think I'll forget about a 91 then, I'm planning so much with the brakes already so I really don't care to tack a conversion on top of all of it.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

For $300 it definitely would have been a good beater. I would have bought it, but then again I bought my accord for $350 and it needed a ton of work. The auto trans kinda scares me, that might have made me walk.

Comment

For $300 for sure, but in Ontario we're required to have the car safety certified before we can transfer ownership and get license plates for it It's still for sale though, I posted a wanted ad on Kijiji and the owner's sold emailed me trying to sell it for $1,000.

Comment

For the price, that would've been a worthwhile purchase if you were willing to put about $3000 into restoring it.
                              The rust wasn't out of control. Rust repair and paint could've been done for under $1000. AC can be replaced for $500 or less, especially if you source the parts yourself. Windshield is a $300 job for a full replacement... less if you just have someone reseal the old one, if the glass isn't damaged. Muffler (or the entire exhaust system) is fairly inexpensive to replace (about $150 for a full stock-diameter catback). Cigarette smell fades, and a good cleaning or two would essentially eliminate the smell in time (the interior looked quite clean otherwise.) Mirrors, rear washer, fuel door, antenna... all tolerable flaws that can be fixed with inexpensive junkyard parts over time. Other restoration would be wise... tires, suspension, bushings...

Not a bad decision to walk away, if you weren't looking for something to restore... but I feel the extremely low price and overall decent condition of the car would make for a worthwhile project. A total of $3500 invested may exceed the car's resale value, but I would still see it as a reasonable investment on a car that you'd both enjoy and use.

Comment

Working...
                              X