Moving to 2 Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to 2 Wheels

So I have decided to start driving on 2 wheels. I would be very new to motorcycles and I am trying to figure out the appropriate attire I would need for a simple commute. Jackets, helmets, gloves I have figured out but I am trying to find suitable pants that do no break the bank nor my ass. I am looking for something I can wear to class and work or something that would just slip over a pair of jeans. Any other riders out there with some advise regarding pants and other gear or anything for a new rider? Maybe a good place to find the gear used?

I am looking for cheap but fun transportation for commuting so I am hunting for Honda "Twins", really have my eye set on a CM400T with 5000 miles that is including a jacket and helmet with a seized caliper (should be nothing since I already repaired 4 on my BMW) but for $900 which seems high but I really do not know. Nice that insurance is dirt cheap for me at $90 a year for it.
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing. So I'll be following this one. I have very little experience also, maybe an hour or two riding time.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Start here!

...then here!

There are so many options. When it comes to safety, you'll end up spending a lot. For my normal commuting, I ride with probably $1500 worth of protective gear (boots/helmet/jacket/back protector/gloves). I probably have over $2500 worth of protective gear, and some of it only gets worn once a year. I also ride (normal commuting) really hard and really aggressive.

Have fun! It's an fun, but very expensive hobby/means of commuting.

Here as well, then keep going 'til you reach the end of the internet.
      Last edited by Straight Success; 07-29-2015, 08:30 PM.
      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Thanks! This should get me somewhere. I guess I can justify a credit bill in the name of safety.

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
          Thanks! This should get me somewhere. I guess I can justify a credit bill in the name of safety.
          Try to do the cash option if possible. One piece at a time. Start with a good helmet and build from there.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Hopefully if I get the bike I am looking at, I will have the helmet and jackets covered. That is if when I get back on the 11th and I get the money too which is owed to me. You think 3 people would be able to lift a bike in the back of a truck?

Comment

Got a lot of my stuff from dennis Kirk, they are local to me but very reasonable. I bought a speed and strength jacket for $80, it has spine armor, shoulder, and elbow armor. Also my helmet was on sale for $89 and than I ended up buying to different shields for it. Up next is a pair of jean armored pants. I just bought a ninja 500 and am getting close to 50mpg. Spent more on accessories than what I paid for the bike already though.

Comment

Originally posted by ol blue View Post
                Spent more on accessories than what I paid for the bike already though.
                That seems to be true with every auto enthusiast regardless of the number of wheels. Buying clothes for your self for a bike does not seem any different than buying wheels for a car.

Comment

My other concern is a helmet and prescription glasses. But from what it seems take glasses off, put helmet on, open the visor, put glasses on. But then comes the fogging issues. I have never really been able to enjoy paintball/airsoft since all I see is blur or fog.

Comment

You can buy thousands of dollars of protective gear and still be killed....I wouldn't do it for a daily commute, risk is too high, maybe weekend cruises. But that's just me, I can't even fathom getting on a bike anymore.
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

$1500 spent on gear comes up fast when decent/cool helmets are $600+/- anymore.

I ride with a $75 helmet most of the time. $75 helmet for a $75 head.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                        You can buy thousands of dollars of protective gear and still be killed....I wouldn't do it for a daily commute, risk is too high, maybe weekend cruises. But that's just me, I can't even fathom getting on a bike anymore.
                        This I true, but remember, you can get killed while driving your car at 34mph in a 35mph zone with your seatbelt on. Things happen.

You must of had some sort-o'-bad experience I presume.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

90 a year? That's nuts! I originally had my bike insured with an Ann Arbor address at 1500/year (1200 of it is collision) and when I just moved to Ypsilanti it went up to 2000/year. I really want to commute on my bike, but it's hard to bring myself to riding 80mph in bumper to bumper traffic for 30 miles... I have a helmet that converts from 3/4 to full face with a sunshade built into the helmet. 250 dollars.

'93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

My buddy had a helmet just like that one in your pic, I really like that style, unfortunately some dick stole his right off his bike a few days ago. I got a quote on insurance yesterday and it's around $150 a month for me through progressive for a ninja zx6.

Our cars are insured through geico now but they wanted $2233 a year.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                              This I true, but remember, you can get killed while driving your car at 34mph in a 35mph zone with your seatbelt on. Things happen.

You must of had some sort-o'-bad experience I presume.
                              friend of mine died 2 months ago while commuting to work, he had all the gear but that didn't stop a car from pulling in front of him and fracturing his spine.

Things happen yes, but you tell that to his 3 children.

I don't post this in anger, just a cautionary tale and also remember it's not the gear that'll save your ass. and be safe, most drivers are inattentive and won't see you.
                              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Working...
                              X