Considering Buying A Harley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering Buying A Harley

I've been wanting to get a bike for a while. A lot of my co workers ride, but never on the streets. They just track and race. I want one for commuting and enjoying the ride. I love going fast, but a sport bike isn't me and, don't argue and flame me, I'm never going to buy something that isn't American again. I'd make an exception for an R32, but that's beside the point. I also have zero interest in a figurative hog, which Harleys are. But then I recently saw their water cooled Street 500 and 750. And they're like 5k new. They're sporty and nimble. So fast forward 6 months to yesterday and my dad who rides a $28,000 cruise says hey, let's stop by Lone Wolf. I see the street bikes, they look cool, and 0 down at 1.99%. In I'm think that's cool, the the salesman says "You seem like a man more interested in this" and he walks me over to a Night Rod. It's a sports frame, massive 240 rear tire, and a liquid cooled 60° engine (instead of 45) made by Porsche that wraps up to 9k instead of 5500. 130hp and highly restricted by the EPA so intake, exhaust, and tune really wakes it up. And it looks savage. Sticker price of 17k. So now I'm thinking about getting one. If I do I'm going to get rid of my Charger and buy a beater. So I'd like to hear some feedback from fellow riders.

'93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

I know this is kind of off topic in off topic, but I think my next cars are probably going to be American as well. From the outside (you actually work with an American car company), it looks like they've really stepped up to the plate these last few years as far as the driving experience. Mazda may be the only Jap company I'd by a late model car from...I'd have to drive one to say that certainly.

I'm not really a bike rider type so my opinion probably won't matter, but that shit looks angry in black. 17k is high to me for a bike, but you're balling so money isn't a factor I'm going to look up sound clips now.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

It's funny, I made a thread like this in OA the other day. I was looking at a CBR250 because my bud has one and they are pretty cheap.

He has been hounding me to check out the "new" Harley 500's and I never got 5 mins to look them up.

Now that you posted this, I just logged in and checked them out and holy shit do they look nice.

A Harley built for urban riding.

If I were you I would save the money and get the 500 or 750 even.

You can even customize them to your liking. 15k is a lot of money.

In any case enjoy. My wife is not interested in entertaining the idea of me riding a bike so im hit haha.

Comment

Most of my bike-enthusiast friends regard Harley as overpriced and unreliable. An image that sells an inferior product. I have no personal experience with them, so my opinion is based primarily on the experiences of my friends.

Harleys are indeed unique. You're not going to successfully get the look or sound out of any other make, that's for damn sure. Still, I tend to think of Harley owners in the same light as I do the owners of old Muscle cars, or 80s-90s Mustangs and Camarobirds. They often fit the stereotype far too well.

I wouldn't want a sport bike, if I were to buy a bike at all. Sport bikes are fast, sure... but I prefer to be surrounded by metal if I'm going fast! I'd definitely want a cruiser. I'd probably find myself looking at Indian before Harley for an American bike. I'd also look into Triumph and BMW. Then, of course, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda (the Valkyrie Rune is one of my dream bikes.)

Still, if a Harley is what you want, you can really only satisfy that desire with a Harley. Just like you can't replace an American muscle car with anything foreign (except an Australian muscle car!) The experience is far too closely tied to the machine.

If you get one, and what the rumors say is true about them being unreliable, it might be wise to buy a repair manual and familiarize yourself with it so you can fix it up yourself. Unless you feel like paying big bucks to have it fixed professionally.

Comment

Before I even read past the title my first thought was v-rod/night rod or find something else. But thats just me and my style. I prefer sportbikes for sure but those are some really badass bikes. My dad does own a street glide though so I can respect cruisers but just way too boring for me. Had more fun on a modded ruckus than that thing. If you do decide to go the cruiser route instead of getting a v/night rod then honestly id highly suggest going Japanese. American bike companies arent on the same level our car companies are.
          Looking for a new CB. Sell me yours!

Comment

So my dad convinced me... pics to come. With gear, extended warranty, and some upgrades, 22k out the door.

Comment

Beautiful purchase man! I'm jealous

Comment

I didn't realize how fast it is. Most people run 11s, a few very good people have actually broke 10s completely stock. It has a very strict break in procedure. 2200-2700rpm first 50 miles, then 2200-3700 up to 500 miles, then I can run it up all the way excluding WOT up to 1000. Then I go in for a 400 dollar tune up... After that I can do whatever I want. Which is good, this bike is a but scary, even at 2k rpm. It's Harleys fastest bike.

Comment

Holy crap thats one hell of a first bike hahaha.

Enjoy it man!

Cant wait to see the pics.

Comment

Harley tech wasn't familiar with the V Rod I guess haha. I read the manual. Don't go over 5000 for the first 500, then 7000 up to 1000. Then she's clear.

Comment

Oh my Jesus, 10s? That's pretty damn fast man. Pics please.

Comment

I just have my phone so here's a few. I'll get more later.

Comment

Man, that thing just looks like it wants to eat someone.

Comment

I wouldn't say I'm an impulsive buyer, I say no to a lot of things. But I'm also a person that when I know I want something I know it. And I have to get it. But I'm pretty sure it runs off 93 and 10w-30 baby seal skin oil. And it's a liquid cooled Porsche engine so it's gonna be reliable.

Comment

^^^ baby seal skin oil! Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X