Home Design Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Design Project

For class we are going to be designing a house from the rough sketch and all the way being just short of being built. But I do have plans to actually build this for my self after I find a great job and a place I plan on staying. I figured I would share, see what you guys think.

I had a thread similar to this a few months ago and here was the original sketch I did on MS paint.

The drawing for school is heavily based off this concept to fit some of the requirements such as minimum square footage, room requirements, garage requirements, etc. As it sits, the foot print is just below 1900 square feet, 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage. I only have some phone camera pictures I took of the computer screen since I cannot figure out how to properly transfer AutoCAD drawings to a file my computer can open. I think I will take a screen shot on the school computers and make it like a word document or something.

First picture I have is of the floor plan I have with some rough dimensions. I have slightly modified one of the rooms and added a closet, extended the garage, and changed the front windows. This was done with AutoCAD so the walls you see are right size of what they are supposed to be.

And because I have no girlfriend and well ahead of schedule I am working on some 3D models despite it not being required, but it is stuff like this that almost got me seriously considered for a real career twice.

Here is the house from the front. Did not do any interior at the time so it looks empty.

Here is some of the interior and an idea for colors to be used.

The master bedroom. It will have windows like the front of the house which I think would be the coolest thing. I like the vaulted roof idea with a tall ceiling like in my mom's new house.

I will be updating this periodically as thing changes and more is added and I hope to get better quality photos, maybe tomorrow since I will be in the area to get my glasses fixed and I can pop into the CAD room for a bit since I got nothing going on. So what do you all think?
    Last edited by XCRN; 02-05-2015, 06:44 PM.
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Nice work. As someone who has built homes, it is a pretty straightforward concept and would be pretty cost efficient. I'd open up the kitchen and put an island and/or bar where you have the wall though, just my two cents. And for safety I'd have a 4x8 mechanical room in the garage for the central heating and water heater.

RIP my last two CB7s.
    New rides:
    '82 Volvo 245 drift project
    '87 Volvo 244 daily
    Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

AutoCAD 2014?
      How long did that take you? I'm cutting my teeth on that program...it'll be great for car parts.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunk View Post
        Nice work. As someone who has built homes, it is a pretty straightforward concept and would be pretty cost efficient. I'd open up the kitchen and put an island and/or bar where you have the wall though, just my two cents. And for safety I'd have a 4x8 mechanical room in the garage for the central heating and water heater.
        Thank you. I was hoping for a more open concept and I originally thought it would be more open in my head with the big opening with a bar like set up. I am thinking just getting rid of the walls complexly. The heating and water heater, etc will be in the space in the garage on the right.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
        AutoCAD 2014?
        How long did that take you? I'm cutting my teeth on that program...it'll be great for car parts.
        Yes 2014, and overall it took me maybe 5 hours. It is a pretty decent program for orthographic but I have not really used the 3D enough to compare, but I prefer Solidworks for 3D small parts. Though I hear Inventor might be similar to Solidworks with the buttons in different places.

Comment

Got some better pictures. Just did screen shots and pasted them to paint then cropped them so I could save them and view them on my computer.

The dimensions are hard to read, especially in that clusterfuck of numbers and lines in the hallway. It is not finished but you got the idea.

Did more with the 3D model but still need to add the rear windows which I am still coming up with a design. I am thinking the rear door will be a glass sliding door and it will have an extension up top mimicking the front widows. The kitchen window will be a basic square.

Here is a photo of the roof, real basic.

And just a better quality photo of the same rooms again.

Comment

Nice, I like to mess around with sketching up my own custom house every once in a while, too. I'd love to design my own real home some day. The only thing I'm not a fan of is attached garages. My idea is a separate building that doubles as a kind of hang-out, a-la Tokyo Drift but without the suspicious bunks, lol. Like a game/entertainment room at least half a floor off the ground, where you can look down on a two- or three-car garage fully decked out for mechanical work. Maybe I'm thinking too much about the garage and not enough about the actual house... functionally, they're all pretty much the same inside anyway.

Nice design

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
            X