No announcement yet.

Compressor / Air Tools help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would go with the breaker bar for sure. 3/4" would be the best all around, only thing is the good quality sockets start to get a wee bit pricey. 1/2" drive, impact grade, would be the minimum I would use.

Cheap tools are just that, cheap. In both price and quality! Look at what you will be working on. If it requires high tq numbers then impact grade tools are what you should be buying. This doesn't mean go out and buy a 3/4" impact gun... just the sockets and a breaker bar will work.

Note: 3/8" - 1/2" drive ratchets are not what you should be using to break the hold on nuts like this. That's why they make "Breaker Bars" and high tq impact guns! Do not buy breaker bars with ratchet heads ether. they are complete junk if used on anything more than wheel nuts.
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
      I would go with the breaker bar for sure. 3/4" would be the best all around, only thing is the good quality sockets start to get a wee bit pricey. 1/2" drive, impact grade, would be the minimum I would use.

Cheap tools are just that, cheap. In both price and quality! Look at what you will be working on. If it requires high tq numbers then impact grade tools are what you should be buying. This doesn't mean go out and buy a 3/4" impact gun... just the sockets and a breaker bar will work.

Note: 3/8" - 1/2" drive ratchets are not what you should be using to break the hold on nuts like this. That's why they make "Breaker Bars" and high tq impact guns! Do not buy breaker bars with ratchet heads ether. they are complete junk if used on anything more than wheel nuts.
      I would never use a ratchet on this. I was using this - a 3 foot, 1/2" breaker bar with a proper impact socket. Then using a 4 foot 2" steel pipe over the bar.

I know the breaker bar should work but if I buy a new 1" bar and socket and it won't budge with my weight on it (plus a 2" 4 foot steel pipe on it) then I'm stuck again. I'm leaning towards heat and the electric impact gun right now. So debating still if I should go buy a 1" breaker bar with a 1" 36mm socket or go buy a 300+ ft-lbs tq. impact gun. I would hate to break the breaker bar again, although this 1" one is rated to 1600ft-lbs tq. Either way I'm looking at spending the same amount of $$$. Does anyone think the 360ft-lbs tq. electric impact gun will have an issue with this bolt?

Appreciate the help folks. I'm going today after work to buy these tools based on your suggestions.

Comment

Get that breaker bar from Sears. At least when it breaks they give you another one.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
          Get that breaker bar from Sears. At least when it breaks they give you another one.
          I will buy a 3/4" breaker bar with a new 36mm 3/4" socket and use the pipe and see what happens.

Thanks everyone

Comment

+ heat + luck = fingers crossed

Comment

well dam. 5min of propane torch + 3/4" breaker bar + 4' 2" pipe + all my weight or pulling on it and no go

That breaker bar is rated for 800ft-lbs tq. and it was bending.....

Also tried 5min of heat then impact gun.
              Also tried hitting on the nut edges with hammer to shake things loose.

I think I need to call defeat on this one.....

we are off topic anyways, i'll continue this on my MRT......

Comment

Hell no get a propane blowtorch and let it stay on it and use the breakerbar and use another bar a cheaterbar at the end of that and watch it come off. Its sad when some tools out there don't hold up like the old ones are made out of that good iron or that cold steel. Don't give up you need a thicker bar

Comment

I like to use the yellow bottle (MAP) gas, as it is just a bit hotter than Propane. An O2/MAP mix is the hottest mix in the BernsOmatic small bottles. The next step would be going with all out Oxy/Acetylene setup.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

That'll definitely make it glow

Comment

Went and rented this........

434ft-lbs tq........ and 60min later. Nothing. (stopped to let the tool cool down).

So I don't have the proper heat, so I'll have to take it out and take it to a shop

Comment

What bolt you trying to get out?

Comment

What bolt you trying to get out?
                          Axle nut

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                            Axle nut
                            Did you unstake it well enough? Are you using the right axle bug to take it off. You need a cheater bar of steel not the chromoly material that they have in the autopart store that easily breaks with a cheater bar at the end of that with it being thick enough with a bit more leverage.

At one point I did this I jacked up my car in the front I put the tool on with the breakerbar and put it in reverse the direction it loosens up in it should work. This is what I did

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=umMJ9Sbcia8

The first vid is the weight of the car trick

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Didl7tDfFMg

This second videos is with the cheater bar. I would heat it up with the torch too from home depot the the yellow can.

Comment

Cut the nut, crack it off with a chisel. I have ran through many ratchets and breaker bars on axle nuts, then ten years later I learned the right way. I know it's hard to get at the nut so maybe even a couple holes with a drill bit, a little knick with a hacksaw blade, then open it up with a chisel.
                              ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Did you unstake it well enough? Are you using the right axle bug to take it off. You need a cheater bar of steel not the chromoly material that they have in the autopart store that easily breaks with a cheater bar at the end of that with it being thick enough with a bit more leverage.

At one point I did this I jacked up my car in the front I put the tool on with the breakerbar and put it in reverse the direction it loosens up in it should work. This is what I did

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=umMJ9Sbcia8

The first vid is the weight of the car trick

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Didl7tDfFMg

This second videos is with the cheater bar. I would heat it up with the torch too from home depot the the yellow can.
                                Read the whole thread, i tried all these but all I had was propane. If fact I had better tools than any of these videos.

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
                                Cut the nut, crack it off with a chisel. I have ran through many ratchets and breaker bars on axle nuts, then ten years later I learned the right way. I know it's hard to get at the nut so maybe even a couple holes with a drill bit, a little knick with a hacksaw blade, then open it up with a chisel.

That is a good idea, but since I have the hubs/axles out of the car now I'm going to take them to a buddy who has a 1100ft-lbs. tq. gun and acetylene torch. Should do the trick.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X