wow the domestic car scene is jumping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
    I am in the same boat as you though, I don't know what I would buy next. I love the Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6 speed, but it needs an LSD. The TLX is nice, but it is auto only in the AWD version now. I would probably get a BMW 3 series or a used S4 or something if I were in the market this second (assuming it wasn't the Accord 6MT).
    I don't know if I'd want to deal with the Germans. A good friend just sold his E92 328i xDrive for a 2012 GTI because he went out of warranty and things started breaking quickly and expensively (coupled with it being an automatic, which he despised). My concern with those cars is the level of technology that are in them and the myriad of silly things that go wrong in them. I mean, his car had a little electric motor that pushed the seatbelt towards you when you shut the door. Neat feature, sure, but that's weight and complexity that the car doesn't need.

EDIT: I know there's irony in that he traded a BMW for a VW when it comes to reliability, but he had other reasons for selecting that car (driving experience included) and I think he got a CPO with the extended warranty from VW directly, so he should be good for awhile.

I was looking at LED bulbs for my truck for the license plate lights for example and there has to be a special subset of LEDs for the German cars as a single incorrect bulb throws the electrical system into a tizzy. Another co-worker had the newest generation 535 and her battery went and it was $600 to replace. I looked into why they were so expensive and I guess the cars are designed to such tight electrical tolerances you need some crazy power supplies for it to work.

That's neat while everything is under warranty, but that seems like just such a headache to maintain. I always laugh when I see someone who wants to project wealth by a 7-10 year old S-series, 7 series or A8 instead of a comparable entry level new vehicle. Chances are they aren't going to be able to keep up with the maintenance of the vehicle.

My truck outside of the e-locker has basically the bare minimum electronics required by US law and I'm pretty happy with that. I've added a bunch of stuff myself, but that's by choice and really simple wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
      Since everything is going to be more electric based they really should leave the civic si and type r alone. They are making the cars heavier and less appealing. I still think the 8th generation is still good compared to the newer models.

The new models are heavier with a little more power that's really not making a difference to the power to weight ratio. I wonder about these newer generation of cars they get longer and more bulky every generation.
      Consider that the RLX Sport Hybrid has an additional 60 total HP over the gas model AND gets significantly better MPG. Also, while the sum total is only 60HP up, at low RPM's like on launch, the difference is closer to +130. It adds a little bit of weight, but not an extreme amount, and one of the main targets of the NSX was to add the benefit without adding much weight. That means more efficient and lighter motors, better (and smaller) batteries, etc. If they are able to stuff all of that into a car the size of the original, that is damn impressive, considering the original car wasn't exactly a space hog. Also, to get a car like this to come in around 3300 lbs would also be impressive, and far lighter than cars like the Porsche 918.

The other distinct advantage to a car like the NSX with hybrid is ZERO turbo lag. Since electric motors produce maximum torque from 0RPM they can be used to provide boost to the gas engine until RPM's get high enough for the turbos to be full spooled. This allows Honda to spec more efficient turbos that don't have to try to blur the compromise between low RPM response and high RPM flow because the electric can aid down low, and slowly taper off as the turbos take over the top end. That way the natural power delivery of a peaky gas engine and the electric motors compliment each other seamlessly. You also get the advantage of being able to roll along on battery only at low speeds, or off boost gas engine with electric assist at low speeds, which saves gas mileage in places like the city.

On top of that, you have the advantage of getting immediate torque vectoring at any speed, any RPM and any engine load, which is something an AWD system transferring engine torque can't do. Even better than that though, is the fact that you can overdrive one wheel (SH-AWD) while simultaneously turning the other into a generator and causing drag, which is something conventional AWD systems also can't do unless they apply a brake on that wheel.

If Honda can keep it light and get the programming right so it doesn't feel like robots are driving for you, I think it will be one hell of a car.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
        I don't know if I'd want to deal with the Germans. A good friend just sold his E92 328i xDrive for a 2012 GTI because he went out of warranty and things started breaking quickly and expensively (coupled with it being an automatic, which he despised). My concern with those cars is the level of technology that are in them and the myriad of silly things that go wrong in them. I mean, his car had a little electric motor that pushed the seatbelt towards you when you shut the door. Neat feature, sure, but that's weight and complexity that the car doesn't need.

EDIT: I know there's irony in that he traded a BMW for a VW when it comes to reliability, but he had other reasons for selecting that car (driving experience included) and I think he got a CPO with the extended warranty from VW directly, so he should be good for awhile.

I was looking at LED bulbs for my truck for the license plate lights for example and there has to be a special subset of LEDs for the German cars as a single incorrect bulb throws the electrical system into a tizzy. Another co-worker had the newest generation 535 and her battery went and it was $600 to replace. I looked into why they were so expensive and I guess the cars are designed to such tight electrical tolerances you need some crazy power supplies for it to work.

That's neat while everything is under warranty, but that seems like just such a headache to maintain. I always laugh when I see someone who wants to project wealth by a 7-10 year old S-series, 7 series or A8 instead of a comparable entry level new vehicle. Chances are they aren't going to be able to keep up with the maintenance of the vehicle.

My truck outside of the e-locker has basically the bare minimum electronics required by US law and I'm pretty happy with that. I've added a bunch of stuff myself, but that's by choice and really simple wiring.
        It sort of depends. My friend has a 2007 E92 328i, and he really hasn't had too many issues. He is also just out of warranty and is choosing to stick with it. So far, there have been some repairs such as the cooling system that have had to be done, but to the best of my knowledge, his only electrical issue is one of the automatic climate control sensors failing, which sometimes causes his blower fan to go weird. It isn't an expensive part though.

As for going BMW, I was thinking more like an E36 or E46 M3. I don't want to deal with all the new stuff too much, but Honda simply refuses to buy a car I can say 100% I want. An MT TLX SH-AWD would be that car, as would a Type-S, but they haven't built either yet. I am just not sure I want an AT yet, and the 9AT has some specific limitations with multiple gear downshifts, which hampers its responses.

I do really like our Accord V6 sedan, and it is sporty for what it is, but it isn't on the same level as my Si, and they just don't have much else other than the Accord V6 6-speed coupe (which honestly, is probably #1 on my list of would buys).
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

The wheel drag on the control came from porche. The whole energy boost gets builts up from the brakes storing the same energy from the motor

Comment

i wouldnt know if im even ready to go back to a transverse motor style setup. Subarus are all longitudinal.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

A new civic type r would cost at least 35k because type r is not some sort of temporary tattoo. Every type r made so far would have cleared 40k and I believe honda looses money on each one sold. I hope they don't mess it up and release a 25k sticker.
              ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Working...
              X