Identify these engines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identify these engines!

I'm putting this in OT since it's not really technical. More like a game for Accord enthusiasts who know their DOHC VTEC engines.

This was inspired by people that tell me they want to swap in an H23A or F20B to be "different"... I want to see how many people can actually tell the difference by sight alone!
    I'm not cracking on anyone with an F20B or H23A. I'm just curious to see who can tell these apart!

Well, they all look the same to me!
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

A) 2000-2001 H23A VTEC - The intake manifold gives it away. It's the manifold that's compatible with the PDE head.

B) H22A Euro R engine - Again, the intake manifold.

C) OBD1 JDM H22A - Once again, the intake manifold gives it away. The JDM H22A does not use any air boost valve. The OBD1 model uses a block-off plate and the OBD2 just deletes it with a small nipple protruding from it. This has a block-off plate.

D) My best guess is that it's just an H22A that has a blue valve cover. The double-row pulley makes me think that this is the case. Really, it could be anything.

E) '97-'01 F20B (manual transmission) - This is only the case if my eyes are not deceiving me and that is, in fact, a 2-wire IACV. If not, then see F.

F) Either '97-'01 F20B (automatic transmission) or '98-'99 H23A VTEC - Looks to have the 3-wire IACV making it a surefire auto-equipped car.

G) H22A Euro R - You can't see the intake clearly, but it doesn't appear to be the standard H22A dual-runner manifold.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Very close... close enough that I wonder if the source of those pictures was mistaken...

B and C are SLIGHTLY off... if you're not wrong, then I am!

Comment

I'm fairly sure those are correct. Even the lack of external coil, and P39 power steering pump on C further reinforce that it's a JDM and OBD1 engine.

Now, what could also be true is that some of these importers swap things around to sell them differently. The H23A VTEC never came as a manual transmission-equipped engine. But, you can buy them that way from importers because that helps them sell. They'll just swap parts around from different engines to get what they want. That doesn't seem to be what's done here, though.

Why, what do you know about them?
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Pretty impressed with Jarrett's (educated) guesses.

If you told me they were all H22a with different painted covers I'd probably believe you.

RIP my last two CB7s.
            New rides:
            '82 Volvo 245 drift project
            '87 Volvo 244 daily
            Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/Delete/Final_Marked.jpg

That's the answer key, as they were listed in my image search. I could be wrong, as your eye for detail is far better than mine!

Comment

The key is wrong. The one it calls "Type S" does not have the ATTS transmission as all Type-S H22As had. The closest thing without the ATTS would be the Prelude S-Spec. It was essentially the 220 ps engine without the ATTS and some of the other interior goodies that the Type S got. It also has the Euro R/H22A7 intake manifold on it. Also, the H22A1 was only ever offered in the US and Canada. That means that it would have an external coil. That engine does not. It also has the air boost valve blocked off. That would mean that the plenum was swapped with an OBD1 JDM H22A at the very least.

Comment

I tried looking for the external coil on the "H22A1". I wasn't able to tell one way or another.
                  Man you're good!

Comment

I can't tell a damn thing from the itty bitty pics.

steve

Comment

Pretty colors!!

That's all I see

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Theyre vtech!

Comment

4 cylinders, where do I collect my prize? Seriously though Jerrett cheated with his brain and should be disqualified. Put Jarrets description next to the corresponding pictures and call it a sticky.
                          ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
                            I can't tell a damn thing from the itty bitty pics.

steve
                            That was exactly my thoughts and they were even smaller on FB.......I am seriously impressed with Jarrett though, wow!
                            1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                            1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                            1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                            1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

haha, i legit, didnt know any of these. all ive ever messed with were non vtec F and H series and non vtec B series.

seems to be a theme in my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X