should I give up on my first cb7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I give up on my first cb7

It has finally now come to the point where it's been sitting in my backyard for almost 2 years.

problems:
    won't start (most likely just the main relay again)
    no exhaust system
    gas tank rusted
    unibody frame rusted
    front shocks broken
    discs warped
    master cylinder bad
    AC broken
    Cruise broken
    4 different layers of spray paint
    trunk floor rusted out
    250+k miles
    missing some parts in engine and rear suspention

I keep telling myself I'll fix it one day but that day never seems to come. Should I hang onto it or just strip every good part I can and take the rest to salvage?

Keep in mind if I strip it , I would keep anything that can possibly be reused (interior , doors , engine , wheels , windows , ect..)
    Last edited by emosun; 05-29-2014, 04:21 PM.

Why don't you just look for a new one that has all of the features you like and in the configuration you want most, buy it, replace any parts it needs with ones from the current car, then sell the current car? Even if it means you spend more money in the long run, you'll be happier with the final product and the car along the way.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      Why don't you just look for a new one that has all of the features you like and in the configuration you want most, buy it, replace any parts it needs with ones from the current car, then sell the current car? Even if it means you spend more money in the long run, you'll be happier with the final product and the car along the way.
      I have two wagons that are in much better shape

Comment

Maybe I'm just looking for fellow cb7 owners to tell me to either

"save it , don't give up on it"

"dude , it's too far gone"

Comment

Dude, it's too far gone.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Honestly, it depends on what you want to do with it, what you're capable of doing with it, and how much work and money you're willing to put into it.
            I've had my CB7 since 2001. I've had a second CB7 come and go, as well as half a dozen other cars. I've chosen to keep my CB7. Mine is, however, not as far gone as yours... yet I've still found myself questioning whether or not I want to bother fixing it up.

If you keep it, what would you like to see done with it? Do you have a garage? Can you weld? If either answer is no, then the necessary repairs are going to be very expensive. If the answer is yes, then do you have the time to spend on it, and the desire to do so?
            Your car, with it's incomplete engine, blown suspension, and rotting rear end, would make for a perfect RWD conversion candidate. If you have the time, space, skills, and tools to put it back together, you could very possibly put it back together with the rear wheels being driven Buy a beater 240sx to rip apart, and it's just a matter of measuring, cutting, and welding.

Comment

I actually do not own a welder , just a toolbox of some sub par hand tools and very basic power tools. Also no indoor space either.

I have the time and desire to fix it.

Definitely not the funds.

Also very very little engine experience. I know how the engine works. I know how to do spark plugs and hoses and other small things. But if an engine was running poorly I'd have no clue as to why or even how to fix it.

All my engine knowledge is youtube based.

Comment

Nice lawn ornament.

Your neighbors must love you. Trash it.

Comment

Originally posted by FuriousJDMLBM View Post
                  Nice lawn ornament.

Your neighbors must love you. Trash it.
                  Actually my neighbors do like me because I'm nice to them.

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
                    It has finally now come to the point where it's been sitting in my backyard for almost 2 years.

problems:
                    won't start (most likely just the main relay again)
                    no exhaust system
                    gas tank rusted
                    unibody frame rusted
                    front shocks broken
                    discs warped
                    master cylinder bad
                    AC broken
                    Cruise broken
                    4 different layers of spray paint
                    trunk floor rusted out
                    250+k miles
                    missing some parts in engine and rear suspention
                    Keep the parts you want and trash it. Even for an experienced body shop to redo the unibody, above the tank, and the trunk is an enormous task. And if these areas are rusted then so are other areas are too. Much easier to rip what you want out of it and drag it away to car heaven.

Maybe if our cars were super rare i'd say keep it, but they are not.

Comment

That thing is all fucked up, take the good parts and junk the rest.
                      FA1

Comment

too far gone bro, focus on one of your other ones

Comment

On the bright side since it's already sat so long you could sell usable parts for a while then junk it
                          ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

junk it, too bad because its a rare color unless you spraypainted it red

Comment

That thing is junk man. Just trash it. If the unibody is rusted all the love I. The world wouldnt save it. I mean you could go to napa and start ordering parts but all the money spent on it would be pointless. It's a money pit.

Comment

Working...
                              X