CB7 Ownership reality check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB7 Ownership reality check

Why dump money into the cb7 when I can go to the credit union tell them I have $ on a down payment and would like to buy a fleet service vehicle that has been repossessed
    That's right I'm trying buy a rape van. Trying to kick off a business sorta but I digress.

I found some yonakas for like $1** USED, two mint oe fenders for $1* each, and a BNIB ebay exhaust for $*0. I cant buy any one of the items because I have serious car maintenance to be done on this car. I did find a set of Honda 15x6.5 5x114.3 steel wheels and for $*0 with ruber its a steal that I'm getting . Buying them will allow me to update the entire knuckle hub brakes das werkz a full 5 lug conversion that I've been sitting on. I am doing this btw guys front only.

Any way , the thing is I'm buying a timing kit and a full gasket set from amazon as well .Thats $106.00 , not including the $75.00/hour rate for my timing job which I don't even know how long that guy will take.

Im squeezing pennies out this fucking car guys,
    I still got other things like
    The transmission is really on its last fucking leg. I was doing like 80MPH
    and I heard like a zinging or screeching sound out of my transmission. Well that's where the sound vibration came from for all of creepy ass 3-4 seconds while I cautiously shifted gears. So maybe a rebuild or replacement is in order.
    Also I need to fix my AC so thats not cheap either.

I'm thinking of maybe letting it go. I don't know right now ... I might just keep it. I feel like one day after DUMPING ASININE AMOUNTS OF CASH on the car it will just either get stolen wrecked or kaput

Uh.... What?
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Say goodbye to anything that causes you stress.
      Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
      Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
      Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
      Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
      Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
      Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

No shame in dumping a heap.... sending my last CB, system and all, to the junkyard, was one of the best moves I ever made. So glad to dump that heap and get on with my life. The cars are all over 20 years old... unless you have an absolutely pristine peach and are a die hard CB fanatic it's not worth it.

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

tunning restoring or modding a vehicle is not a logical thing it is a thing of passion.
          If you don't have the passion for the car your dumping asinine amounts of money into then yes its a heap and its time for it too go.
          (better too have a car that is paid for go kaput then one your making payments on)
          CB7TUNER.com
          Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

The key word here is passion

I have a total of 15k into my 83 Malibu and my 76 Vega and they are still not on the road.

I sold my 80 Chevrolet Monza and gave my 89 Le Baron to my sister rather than put more money into them.

No passion for those two cars but passion for the rest.
            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
              tunning restoring or modding a vehicle is not a logical thing it is a thing of passion.
              If you don't have the passion for the car your dumping asinine amounts of money into then yes its a heap and its time for it too go.
              (better too have a car that is paid for go kaput then one your making payments on)
              true

and forgive me if Im out of place for saying this, but, why would CB7TUNER be the place to find reasons to dump your cb.......what? I come here to find reasons its worth it to keep it, lol. First off, new cars are kind of boring to me, even if its 300 hp, on less I could find one slightly damaged at a good price to fix it up

^founds some pics of my old integra. You can hardly find these anymore
              when I had it I paid for everything to be done to it, even the smallest, to get it done right. It ran perfectly. 2 1/4 inch piping, magnaflow and test pipe. Great sound, not too loud

Bow legged and very tight

Paint job, body work

The last mod I put on it was the fog/driving lights

and I paid the man 50bucks to string it up. When I handed the man the money he said, you couldn't a done that?" I felt bad cause it was so easy.
              I payed 1500 for it, sold it for 1350 (because I didn't do much interior work+some minor electrical stuff)
              after putting over 3k into it over the space of a few years. Sold it to a young Spanish dude, headers, headlights and other stuff in the trunk. He was happy as shit. I grabbed the wheels off though (now the stock blades are actually more valuable that he got) But it got too small and the kids got too big.

So I bought a minivan, another of my favourites, 92 MPV, v6. Dual climate, clean inside, non-sliding door, retractable rear windows, tons of room and cargo space. Guzzled gas like a mug though. 6 months I sold that shit and started looking for one of these, (I broke even).

Then I found this amazing site where I, with some balls and intelligence, could do the work my self and get the full satisfaction from my ride. So far the only thing I paid for is to have the suspension installed(Im doing that next time), cv joints and alignment, everything else I did my self, including a recent valve adjustment. Now I'm working my sperm count up to do the brakes and a timing belt job. I'm counting on the help of the people who have contributed the info that made this incredible database what it is, to hold my hand through it. I don't want them to tell me,' just junk it', like they got stock in junk yards or something, or 'you don't know what you're doing'(that's why I'm asking), that's if they even respond.

Either they want the value of theirs to go up, or they got some thing new, and forgot why they loved them in the first place. Hopefully they don't think the new car makes them more of a person. Some seem to want people to feel like losers for driving a cb, on a site dedicated to, and whose sole purpose for existence, is the cb chassis. The balls, and they get away! Don't take that knowledge to the grave, pass it on to the new guys, give them your manuals and spare parts and move on. Don't kill their vibe. U see the work XCRN is putting in? I loved these since I was a child, If I had the money, mine would look like Juice21's, DJ Hizzle's or keepinitclean's or something.

So your telling me, you can afford a car payment and full coverage every month, and if you put that same money into the cb every month you wouldn't run out of things to do before the year was up, and have a perfectly functional ride, with a swap and perks?

The old man who worked on the integra had a restored 79 corolla he kept around, till one day he put it on the lift. And I mean, this shit could have been on that car auction show on WLRN. The bottom side was cleaner than anything on mine, and that was a corolla! Z's are great, Mustangs, sure whatever, but there is only one, and will never be another, CB7

FOR SCOTLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              time to go to work, peace

Comment

I know exactly how you feel. I'm at that point with my cb and I've decided to just put it in the garage so I can work out all the kinks little by little and just buy a new car. Now that I think of it though, if I just invest more of my money into quality parts maybe my cb will get some of it's longevity back. That'll save me the hassle of paying a car note every month and higher insurance.

Comment

The majority of CB7s these days are good for one of two things: 1) a project car for a true fan of the chassis. The chassis is capable for what it is, but cars today have far surpassed what it is capable of. There are far more capable performance projects to be had, but the CB7 is a valid platform for anyone that likes it for exactly what it is. And 2) a semi-reliable daily beater. Fix up what it takes to keep it on the road, and let it fall apart around itself. Seeing as the youngest CB7 is now old enough to buy beer in the US, these cars have shown an amazing ability to stay on the road... even when neglected and abused.

My own CB is at project car status. It is off the road, pending the day when I have the time, money, and energy to fix the problems. It's not in bad shape overall, but it needs a good deal of attention. I choose to keep it, because I have that luxury. It doesn't cause me stress, and I look forward to the day when I can enjoy it again.

Comment

Cared for and mainted well with good parts, they can remain more than semi-reliable daily drivers and they don't have to be left to fall apart. As an engineer, it is somewhat of a challenge to keep them going. Even after driving new rental cars (Camry, Impala, Altima, ...) getting back into my CB7 still feels like home.

90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                    X