How does the reputation system work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does the reputation system work?

Hi I was wondering if a mod could chime in on this. Im not rally sure how it works at all. Is there any way to tell who posted them?
    Wrecked, Revived, and still Rollin'

Check out my MRT!

Originally posted by deevergote
    The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Do I really need to ask....?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ght=rep+system

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ght=rep+system

You've been served.
    '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Wait a minute, why was I served now?

My other question was, what does the rep feedback have to do with the threads? is it a way to tell why you were left a good/bad report? I clicked on the link but it only took me to the thread.

Idk, if I messed up, I like to know what I did wrong so that I can prevent any further mistakes. Plus, whoever it was asked me when I was going to start contributing to the site... 3 days after I joined? I mean, I'm all for contributing(and I feel I have, or I try to at least), but really? Who can really jump into a site and contribute information after 3 days? Unless you already know CBs inside and out, then its just about impossible.

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
      Also, I'd refrain from making rude comments when somebody asks a simple question...

And people wonder why there arent that many members on here anymore..
      Last edited by High5er; 04-10-2014, 12:59 PM.

Check out my MRT!

The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Comment

A 30 second search brought 6 recently submitted pages of quality information on the rep system and how it works.... In other words, that's how you messed up

You answered your own question on how feedback works.

What you and many other fledgeling members fail to understand is we see EVERYTHING. Do you have kids? Perhaps a younger sibling? How would you feel if that person asked you the same question, 5 times a day, and you continually had to give the same answer or you gave them a resource for them to refer to? Seems like it might get a little old? Perhaps agitating even? Yeah, something like that.

Older members like myself get tired of doing so, and eventually we either don't reply at all or half-ass on telling you what's what. As a staff member I gave you a resource which was already available to you to find your own answers. This site isn't about everyone having 10,000 posts because they love answering the "wut kind of springs kan i put on my cb7 pls thk u"; it's about moving the community forward. That is why we have a "hard time" getting new members, because if you don't use your brain, you won't enjoy being here.

I don't know if you were attempting to make a snide comment(which is not in your best interest mind you) but I spoke to you about contributing in the past. You don't have to know everything, and with 8 years in the game neither do I. But there's a certain way we can express our "ignorance" and still have a good time. I'm not sure how to tell you any better.

Comment

I have been a member of cb7tuner since 2008 and have not once worried or thought about the rep system.

You can have 10 million Rep points and still be butthead of the year.
          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
            If there was an actual vote, Deev would win in a landslide every year, with a distant runner up between Jarrett and toycar.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
              A 30 second search brought 6 recently submitted pages of quality information on the rep system and how it works.... In other words, that's how you messed up

You answered your own question on how feedback works.

What you and many other fledgeling members fail to understand is we see EVERYTHING. Do you have kids? Perhaps a younger sibling? How would you feel if that person asked you the same question, 5 times a day, and you continually had to give the same answer or you gave them a resource for them to refer to? Seems like it might get a little old? Perhaps agitating even? Yeah, something like that.

Older members like myself get tired of doing so, and eventually we either don't reply at all or half-ass on telling you what's what. As a staff member I gave you a resource which was already available to you to find your own answers. This site isn't about everyone having 10,000 posts because they love answering the "wut kind of springs kan i put on my cb7 pls thk u"; it's about moving the community forward. That is why we have a "hard time" getting new members, because if you don't use your brain, you won't enjoy being here.

I don't know if you were attempting to make a snide comment(which is not in your best interest mind you) but I spoke to you about contributing in the past. You don't have to know everything, and with 8 years in the game neither do I. But there's a certain way we can express our "ignorance" and still have a good time. I'm not sure how to tell you any better.
              That makes total sense. I try to advocate that when possible as well. I'm a firm beleiver in trying to be resourceful before asking for a hand-out. I honestly did try to search google first, then the OT section. Didn't really find anything. I also had some more specific questions that I kinda wanted to have addressed(which most have). Thats why I started the thread.

As for contributing, I understand what it means to contribute- and I do try to point newer members in the right direction when possible. I guess my question is, how does one expect somebody to "contribute" after three days? And enough to necesitate bad feedback? Also, what significance is the thread linked next to it? Is that where the reason for the feeback occured? Mine was in a WTB thread that doesnt have that many posts- which is the stem of my confusion.

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
              I have been a member of cb7tuner since 2008 and have not once worried or thought about the rep system.

yeah thats definitely true.

Check out my MRT!

Comment

The rep system was put in place to satisfy all the people whining for "some sort of feedback system". I activated it, and intentionally did not tell anyone how to use it.

It is absolutely useless, honestly. You can't see who leaves feedback (unless you're me... I can see who leaves me feedback... as a few people have learned the hard way...) and it does absolutely nothing for you. You could get a ton of rep and get a funny status (like "has boobs", or "has a huge cock"), or get in the negative and get rep that says something like "should be shot".
                People who think it's clever to flame someone anonymously via the rep system find themselves banned for a week... we don't like flaming, and we like cowardice even less.

I really should just disable it completely. It's useless.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  You can't see who leaves feedback (unless you're me... I can see who leaves me feedback... as a few people have learned the hard way...) and it does absolutely nothing for you.
                  If I go to "Control Panel", it shows who left me "Latest Reputation Received". Is that just the last few?
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

The rep system was put in place to satisfy all the people whining for "some sort of feedback system". I activated it, and intentionally did not tell anyone how to use it.

It is absolutely useless, honestly. You can't see who leaves feedback (unless you're me... I can see who leaves me feedback... as a few people have learned the hard way...) and it does absolutely nothing for you. You could get a ton of rep and get a funny status (like "has boobs", or "has a huge cock"), or get in the negative and get rep that says something like "should be shot".
                    People who think it's clever to flame someone anonymously via the rep system find themselves banned for a week... we don't like flaming, and we like cowardice even less.

Lol you wont hear any complaints here. i never really thought anything of it til I went to check my subscribed list.

Check out my MRT!

Comment

We need it boss, we're trying to make a comeback remember!

Comment

In one of the other threads on this topic, Deev, you were discussing the weight of rep comments increasing based on post count, time as an active member, etc. Do you have any freedom to alter those settings?

What do you think about increasing the requirements for adding nonzero rep points?
                        What do you think about allowing only moderators (and maybe others at your discretion) to give positive or negative rep?

These are just ideas to help increase the significance/meaning of the rep system.

It sucks that you can't change the fact that rep comments are anonymous to members. That would certainly deter cowardice flaming.
                        *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                        ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                        ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                        "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                        The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                        Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                          If I go to "Control Panel", it shows who left me "Latest Reputation Received". Is that just the last few?
                          That may be an unintentional perk of the premium member status! (or maybe it was intentional. i forget now.)

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                          In one of the other threads on this topic, Deev, you were discussing the weight of rep comments increasing based on post count, time as an active member, etc. Do you have any freedom to alter those settings?

What do you think about increasing the requirements for adding nonzero rep points?
                          What do you think about allowing only moderators (and maybe others at your discretion) to give positive or negative rep?

These are just ideas to help increase the significance/meaning of the rep system.

It sucks that you can't change the fact that rep comments are anonymous to members. That would certainly deter cowardice flaming.
                          I probably could change it, but I don't really care to.
                          As for the weight of older members, moderators, etc... it already exists. New members have no weight. Admins can change your number of green/red boxes with a single comment.

I don't really care for the rep system largely because it is an inaccurate way of determining someone's "worth". I don't want someone that is well-liked in the OT sections to receive lots of positive rep, only to give awful technical advice and be taken seriously. Of course, I guess post count and join date do these things to some extent as well...

Comment

In 4+ years on 10+ forums, I have yet to use a rep system, or even pay attention to its existence. I'm with you Deev, it really isn't necessary.

And you're spot on about people posting in OT, then giving horrible technical advice. I've seen it happen quite a bit. People try and use their post count to show that their advice is accurate and carries more weight than other members.

Comment

People assume I'm some sort of expert. I have a buttload of posts and I run the forum... so people assume I know a lot. I'm actually quite a noob.

Comment

Working...
                              X