Tough decision to make: '00 Civic 144k vs. '99 Accord 272K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough decision to make: '00 Civic 144k vs. '99 Accord 272K

In August, I purchased a 2000 Civic with 133K miles for $3500. I love it as a daily driver, except for the automatic transmission.

On my way to a tutoring appointment, I saw this 1999 Accord EX 5spd with 272K for $2970. The owner claims the Kelly Blue Book value is $3317. It is very clean!

I need some help deciding what I should do between two scenarios.

1. Sell the Civic for $3500 (I only put 11K on it since August) and purchase this after talking him down to $2900 or $2800. I am going to test drive and do an inspection at 5pm, and will only consider this option if there are only minor issues and the engine/drivetrain is well maintained overall.

2. Keep the Civic and forget about this car.

- What would you all do in my situation? Thanks for the help, I am really torn here.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.346

me personally would say civic, only because i miss my 2000 4dr and its great on gas. the accord would be the safer decision to avoid theft but you may run into the maintance needed for the 200K + it has.

my vote goes for civic
    FRIENDS
    DONT LET
    FRIENDS
    ROLL ON
    ROTA'S

Comment

The Civic also has a key less entry and a car alarm installed. I do need to replace the windshield due to a crack, replace the belts, and replace the brake pads.

I don't know what it is about that '99 Accord, but I love it. I miss having a 5spd daily driver, and I would love an F23A. Also, between my fiance and I, we would have three white 5spd '90s Accord sedans ('93, '96, and a '99). I know that is silly, but I LOVE these cars.

Anyway, thank you for your input. It does make sense to stay with the Civic.
      Last edited by af_1132; 04-07-2014, 05:15 PM.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

If you have an old car that does not burn/leak oil. Or have a major issue keep it.
        I just traded a 1996 accord with a lot of issues but nothing major for a 2001 civic that is worthless junk. Should have let well enough be.
        ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Accord with 272K?

I wouldn't even consider it at that price point. I feel like if you spent a bit more cash and spent some time searching you could easily find something comparable with significantly less miles.

I mean if it had all maintenance records, was religiously looked after and a compression/leakdown checked out, it'd be a slightly different story.

I just find at that mileage you'd be fighting an uphill battle.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
            Accord with 272K?

I wouldn't even consider it at that price point. I feel like if you spent a bit more cash and spent some time searching you could easily find something comparable with significantly less miles.
            I certainly would. These '98 - '02 Accords usually go for over $3500 around here for having under 200k miles, and they are everywhere. This one just literally jumped out at me (I wasn't looking for one), and white is my favorite color.

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
            I mean if it had all maintenance records, was religiously looked after and a compression/leakdown checked out, it'd be a slightly different story.
            This is what I am going to go check and make sure is in order in a little while. If he cannot supply maintenance receipts and strong visual/experiential evidence for a maintained engine/transmission after an inspection and test drive, then forget it. You just don't find white ones as often as other colors (and those other colors often have peeling clear coat, which I hate ).

Knowing how used cars with high miles usually are, I will probably just test drive the thing to get the irrational love for this car out of my system .

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

Oh gosh, I should have let it go, I should have walked away. Now after that test drive, inspection, receipts analysis, and owner chat, I love the car even more irrationally!

This car is pristine inside and out! Owner is a 64 year old man who showed me all receipts since purchase from certified used Honda dealership in 2002. He genuinely loves this car and hates to have to get rid of it (needs a truck or SUV in order to tow a trailer). He wants to see my CB7 project as well.

- Engine bay is beautiful, no sign of leaks, beautiful and clean F23A1 sitting in there
              - No oil on the spark plugs
              - New belts (timing belt and water pump replaced 40k ago and once before that)
              - New tie rods in '10
              - All new seals in '10
              - Clutch feels like an OEM clutch just after break in period.
              - Has run synthetic oil in there since '02

I will need to do breaks (not based on feel, but based on rotor rust) in the future and get new tires, but that is all for a long time as far as I can see. I will also be having it looked at by a mechanic tomorrow to get more information on what will be needing replacement in the future.

No decision is made until I hear from that mechanic and from you guys again after reading this post. Really, I trust you guys more than anyone!
              Thanks for putting up with me and my shenanigans so far.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

Get the accord.
                2013 Honda Fit Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic GE8
                2013 Accord Sport Modern Steel Metallic CR2

CB9 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=hostile
                CR2 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197787
                GE8 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199289

Comment

I like the Civic but would love the Accord. Looks clean, and manual...very hard to find. How does it run?
                  1990 Accord EX

Comment

I just got it!

This Accord is honestly twice the car that the Civic is. The engine runs great, and the transmission is in great condition, and the suspension is excellent. My mechanic said go for it. My dad drove both cars and said he would have done the same thing in my position (Civic has pronounced engine click when cold). It's one of those things where you have to experience the two cars to believe it. My pictures don't do either car justice.

I talked him down, as I have to replace the clutch, get some new tires, get an alignment, and do maintenance on the rotors before the end of the year (the ride and clutch are good, I can just tell that these components are worn). This, however, is the kind of car that I would want to do all that work on. The previous owner showed me all the products he uses to take care of the leather, dash, windows, and exterior. He gave me the visors he uses whenever, and I mean whenever, he parks in the sun. The car is maxed out on interior options.

I never see CG5/6 Ex 5 speeds in this good condition pre 2000. I fell in love, deep irrational love.

Thanks for all your input guys.
                    Last edited by af_1132; 04-10-2014, 03:32 PM.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

I would have chosen the Accord in a heartbeat. That gen of Civic only looks good as a coupe, imo. With those maintenance records, it's even more of a no-brainer.

Congrats!

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Nice find and congrats on the purchase man. It is a good looking car, if I bought any other Accord it'd be that gen.
                        Making the switch from auto to standard trans in a daily driver is always awesome.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                        New rides:
                        '82 Volvo 245 drift project
                        '87 Volvo 244 daily
                        Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Thanks guys. Since August, I have been lamenting about the switch to an automatic daily driver in order to dedicate the CB to the drag car project.
                          Automatic dd = bored race enthusiast in the driver's seat.

The Civic will be sold tomorrow to my housemate for more than the price I paid for the Accord. I can't argue with that .

Despite all future replacements/maintenance needed, the worn out volume, bass/fade, and treb/balance knobs on the stereo, and the worn patches of driver's seat leather, I love this car to death. I can tell it is going to do me more than proud!

This seems to be turning into an other automotive MRT, so I'll cut things off here, unless anyone has any other questions/comments.

I appreciate all your feedback on this decision.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

Congrats.

Only comment I have, is that I sold my 2002 for 3k with 130k on the ticker.

They're good cars as long as there are no trans problems, but that mostly affected the v6 and autos.

Enjoy!

Comment

Holy mackerel, and SE to boot!

What were the issues with the car?

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

Working...
                              X