Our forum vs. corporate-owned forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our forum vs. corporate-owned forums

Last month I bought an Acura CL with slight front-end damage. I bought it to swap the J32A2 and six-speed into my CG2 but decided to keep it and fix it instead. I've been doing a lot of research lately on acurazine and v6performance and the general tone of those forums makes me feel like I'm living in Soviet Russia. All content is strictly monitored. Any mention of one of the "competitor sites" is frowned upon and linking to them is strictly forbidden. Posting price information from certain companies can only be done under certain circumstances because of the other companies that pay for advertising on the site.

Another complaint of mine is the inability for users to edit their posts after longer than 5 minutes has passed. This creates a bog of misinformation that the user may want to correct, but can't unless he contacts a moderator to do so. If something is deemed as insignificant to edit by the user, he won't ask. If he does ask and the moderator deems it insignificant, it won't be changed. There's no need for this level of control.

All I'm saying is that a lot of the users on this site bitch and moan about the rules we have and how tight of a ship we run around here. Not even close. We do so because we like order and know how a good forum is run because we've had people before us these past 10 years to model the way. We aren't doing what we're doing to appease any penny-counting sponsors to ensure that profit is considered before information.

Deev, I never fully grasped the depth of what you might have been going through when companies approached you to buy the site. I commend you for not considering it.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Thanks Jarrett. That means a lot!
    I've seen plenty of good forums go corporate, and they all changed drastically. I took over here because I loved this community, and I still do. It never was, and never will be about making money.

The last company to offer to buy the site said that I could continue to run it... But I wonder how much that would change once they started bringing in corporate sponsors.

Comment

I have known this since before I signed up here. I tried to become a member of a few forums in 2004-2005 and it was just horrible. One of the sites ran me off, it was one big click, and anyone not in that click was shit on.

It was awful.

Then in 2006 I found this site and nothing about the rules ever struck me as tough or uncalled for. Everything made sense, and this place had a great flow and ebb to it. Not to mention how awesome the staff was. Problems we're usually address SAME DAY. Good luck getting that on the mega forums.

On some sites that I am on, it may be 3-4 days before you hear back from someone about an issue.

Anyone who posts here and genuinely complains about our rules, truly has no idea how bad it can be.

Comment

3 Cheers for Deev!! I`ve learned a lot from this site and still learning. I try to help and contribute when I can too. Glad I found this site, lots of good info here. Thank You Deevergote and all members here.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Working...
        X