Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California star smog

Okay guy's/ gal's

It's the smog year here in California for my old white CB and I got the renual notice in the mail. even though she has passed a span over 4 years of ownership I am still directed to a Star Certified smog shop. The new one had a bad cat on it swapped that out and the 13 tries yes 13 tries stopped yay :0 but both cb's had to go to the star certified shop

anyone else being directed to a star cert shop just out of the blue or is it just bad luck for me?

and yes I am envious of all you that do not have to get your car tested

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
    Do it once, do it right.
    Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
    Missing My
    White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
    Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

I've been directed to do my smog check at a star certified station. I think it's just random.

CALI LIFE STYLE
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=145883

Comment

I figure i'm just curious how many people have directions to go to the star cert shop and is it for pre 95's or pre 00's

just feels weird that I have 2 cars that have/had to go to the star cert shop

Do it once, do it right.
      Missing My
      Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

We don't even have any emissions at all where I live. Let alone smog. literally if your car can pass a safety basically ball joint test and brakes look good it's road worthy here.

Comment

seems to me that the state of California is making it harder and harder to keep an older car on the road

must be the new car dealers association that is behind alot of the emission regulations changes
          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

It's not random it's just that our cars are too old that they have to make a second test, mostly on checking that your hoses and stuff are ok on the bay and the pressure too..... Just got a new cb coupe and it passed on the first try, paid 70 bucks because of the second test for the star smog. So I would guess you'll be fine just make sure your cars running good

MRT Thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193631
            My fs thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=190359

Comment

a mechanic friend of mine told me that NY state did a small study on how many cars of older vintage are still actually on the road and registered.

according to him there were approximately 300 1976 model year car registered in NY

(my Cosworth Vega is a 76)

the other change they did was 20 model years old or older became emissions exempt but still required a safety inspection
              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                a mechanic friend of mine told me that NY state did a small study on how many cars of older vintage are still actually on the road and registered.

according to him there were approximately 300 1976 model year car registered in NY

(my Cosworth Vega is a 76)

the other change they did was 20 model years old or older became emissions exempt but still required a safety inspection
                That's how it should be. Or like here in Ohio where people take tractors to work.
                ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

It is not random, just you have an old car. All my hondas and now my 2000 e46 is now star. Doesn't matter, if it passes a regular smog then you should have no problems with test only/star
                  Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

1.9% is random, got a 06 tundra yesterday. ive seen those things pass with 250k on it
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I don't plan on taking a tractor to work every day but that could be kind of funny though... I could believe that it could be the cars from pre 2000's because of there age thats a good point.. I took my cb in last month the first time and because the fan timer was bad along with I want to say a bad cat it failed with high numbers. Now I swapped out the full exhaust system with my old cb, replaced the thermostat/ bleed the system and just recently got a cold air intake which has the california smog numbers for it being legal to be on the car.

Since I can run the car in my opinion cold ish ( about at the 2) with the heater core on and both fan's running I will do this for my next smog to prevent over heating I think my cat should be good to go car run's like a champ have not tested it going to the bay area from the valley but I have faith it never over heats down the freeway or in town at stop lights and I can feel it shiver like the fan kicks on sometimes (though I have never seen it come on until after the car is off) I'm going to give it a shot after my valves get dialed in

Do it once, do it right.
                      Missing My
                      Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

just ask the tech to put a fan in front of it. i always keep my eye on the temp because a cold motor will run rich and an overheating motor will run lean. i guess im the only tech that gives people a fair chance unless theyre a dickweed. kind of like treating a waiter poorly.
                        I <3 G60.

Comment

Damn. I'm a certified state inspector in Texas/Honda technician. I have to run my CB on the dyno with what they call a "sniffer" in the exhaust. She's passed with flying colors. Fucking California and it's crazy emission tests. Here in Texas depending on what county you go to/live in they either do just a safety or an emissions test.

I can go on and on about this. Any emissions testers out in Cali? Can you guys "beat the system"? I know it can be done in Texas. Hypothetically of course.
                          Long time listener, first time caller.
                          1993 Accord LX- Sold (05/2007)
                          1992 Accord EX- Totalled (06/2014)
                          1996 Accord Wagon EX (Current ride/daily)
                          1995 Accord Wagon EX (Beater)

http://www.hondasociety.com/board/sh...d.php?t=156176

Comment

saw a cobra mustang with most of the obd monitors deleted off the computer and it still passed the sniffer. i know that raised a red flag with the bureau lol

i wont discuss ways to beat the sniffer on the interwebs but it can definitely be done to an extent whether it be money, time or risk. In the end its not worth going to jail for "fraud".

i just registered my car to a county that doesn't need smog.
                            I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                              saw a cobra mustang with most of the obd monitors deleted off the computer and it still passed the sniffer. i know that raised a red flag with the bureau lol

i wont discuss ways to beat the sniffer on the interwebs but it can definitely be done to an extent whether it be money, time or risk. In the end its not worth going to jail for "fraud".

i just registered my car to a county that doesn't need smog.

So not all of cali has to test?

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Working...
                              X