Inheriting a New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inheriting a New Project

This summer I might be inheriting a 95(?) 3000GT (not a VR4 damn) that my cousin has been trying to fix for a few years and gave up on after swapping the engine twice. I believe it is electrical problems as I have heard some interesting stories from my Aunt. Apparently a lot of the wiring was replaced with speaker wire and other cheap fixes over the years. My cousin is mechanically inclined to an extent but is cheaper than the people on Extreme Couponers. Any one familiar with this vehicle?

I hope it will be a cheap fix for a really nice car. When my cousin was training at Ft. Lewis here in 2005, he drove down in the 3000GT and I was riding with him a lot and damn it was fast.
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
    This summer I might be inheriting a 95(?) 3000GT (not a VR4 damn) that my cousin has been trying to fix for a few years and gave up on after swapping the engine twice. I believe it is electrical problems as I have heard some interesting stories from my Aunt. Apparently a lot of the wiring was replaced with speaker wire and other cheap fixes over the years. My cousin is mechanically inclined to an extent but is cheaper than the people on Extreme Couponers. Any one familiar with this vehicle?

I hope it will be a cheap fix for a really nice car. When my cousin was training at Ft. Lewis here in 2005, he drove down in the 3000GT and I was riding with him a lot and damn it was fast.
    I owned a 96 Dodge stealth R/T 5mt and i am somewhat familiar with them. Mine went through three engines before I sold it off as a shell. Crankwalk just like any other Mitsubishi motor 8( body only had 132k if that tells you anything.
    I wake up in the morning and piss excellence!

Comment

Well I will have 2 engines to dick around with, but I have been looking into a 3.5 swap too, but the idea is cheap project to entertain me I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
        Well I will have 2 engines to dick around with, but I have been looking into a 3.5 swap too, but the idea is cheap project to entertain me I guess.
        What engine is in it? Sohc or dohc? I have dohc and it made good power.
        I wake up in the morning and piss excellence!

Comment

I believe a DOHC, but it has been years since I have seen it, my Aunt told me she wants it out of her garage.

Comment

I know a guy who is so cheap he tried to wash and reuse paper towel.

If you get this car, I wish you good luck
            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Thanks Bobby, I know I will need it. Atleast I will have access to my CB and my Aunt's Corolla while I work on it. As cheap as my cousin is, he owns and runs his own Sr Care home out of one of his houses.

Comment

3000GTs have more electrical problems than German cars! That was quite possibly the ultimate downfall of that car.

To be honest, if it's not a VR4, it's probably not even worth wasting your time on. You're going to spend a ton of money fixing it, only to have a slow, heavy, FWD car that looks cool.
                I love the 3000GT's looks, and the VR4 models are wicked when they're working... but they're pretty awful cars when they break. Part that bitch out.

Comment

Tube chassis with a mid mounted V8 like a NSX type setup

That would be wicked awesome
                  http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I need to waste more time, TV only goes so far, and Netflix, well on my 3rd series rerun of the walking dead. I will not know the extent of the cost yet but if it is reasonable could be flipped for a profit.

Comment

If you can find one in a junkyard, yank the harness. Replace any wires that appear to be damaged on the new harness, and install it on the car (since it sounds like the harness on there is fuxord) If that's the only major problem, it'll cost little... and it'll take a bunch of time... but if it yields a running car, it'll be worth selling. If it looks nice, maybe for a couple grand!

Comment

Even the FWD 3000s sell for almost 5 here, might be less in Ohio but still should yield a decent profit and maybe a fun commuter for a bit.

Comment

I've seen them go for as little as 1500 here, though those are usually REALLY beat. If it looks nice and it runs, 5000 can happen for sure. At least it's a 3000GT and not a Stealth (same car, but the Stealths sell for WAY less, because they say "Dodge" on them. )

Comment

And they are ugly as sin.

Comment

one of my best friends had one when i was a bit younger... car SUCKED to work on haha.

"Tucking tires and wires."
                              The Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X