Guitar Buffs! Just bought: Ovation Balladeer Acous/Electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitar Buffs! Just bought: Ovation Balladeer Acous/Electric

I can't believe the deal I got on this ONE of the very last Ovations Made in America.
    I'ts a 1771 Balladeer in black .. omg, the sound of this thing is actually Matin like!

Soo .. what do I go with here? Multi-Effects Guitar Effect Pedals or better (today)
    to stay with single pedals and patch up? heheh ..

Ralphie .. wait'll you hear what I paid.
    And this thing is in MINT condition .. case and all ..
    I want pedals nowww ... woo hoooo .. I am so stoked ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

How doyou like it? I am looking into getting one aswell
    I just Bought an Ibanez S770pb
    WE MISS YOU JO(9-04-2008)

Comment

Originally posted by sunburn View Post
      How doyou like it? I am looking into getting one aswell
      I just Bought an Ibanez S770pb
      The things a trip .. there was a brn Martin (1100 bucks) right next to it.
      He hit an A-minor, and so did I and they sounded sooo similar and lasted about the same.
      Sick smooth sound, almost muted. Not any of that heavy big box base, or the high twang.

We don't know how old it is, but it was bought (new) awhile ago.
      I suppose I could run the serial#, which I am doing in the morning.
      But I wasn't even looking. I was just jamming away. And in the corrrner,
      was this lil black beauty.

It's mellowed with it's age, and sounds just how it's supposed to.
      I'm now looking at PEDALS .. just don't know if I wanna go "Muti-Effects*
      or just buy good single ones and patch um together.

The fuggen case hasn't even got a scratch on it ...

Comment

I've never used pedals on an acoustic. But I've always found the multi effects pedals worth the money but confusing to me. I only need 4 pedals for the stuff i played and would just tweak them for different songs if they were different.

Also with single pedals you get different results depending on the order you have the effects in

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
        It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Wow. I probably don't want to know lol.

She is a bute. As far as pedals, I have multi effect boards and singles.....it does depend on what kind of sound you're going for. I prefer Digitech...i recently picked up the hendrix pedal...its moddeled after like 6 songs right from the master tapes. Sound is spot on. And the best part is using it to obtain other sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
            I've never used pedals on an acoustic. But I've always found the multi effects pedals worth the money but confusing to me. I only need 4 pedals for the stuff i played and would just tweak them for different songs if they were different.

Also with single pedals you get different results depending on the order you have the effects in
            Thanks! Very useful info Q! I'm still reading!

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
            Wow. I probably don't want to know lol.

She is a bute. As far as pedals, I have multi effect boards and singles.....it does depend on what kind of sound you're going for. I prefer Digitech...i recently picked up the hendrix pedal...its moddeled after like 6 songs right from the master tapes. Sound is spot on. And the best part is using it to obtain other sounds.
            Haha, just under 400 .. so now I can afford to spend a lil more on .. toyz.
            I was looking at some Digitech stuff .. but read some review that weren't too hot.
            I dunnno, I've always (when I WAS into it) a Peavy, Crate, Marshall, fender kina guy.

But these muti-effects pedals have me infatuated .. specially the $$$ ..
            I'l prolly figure something out and write a list down, take the Ovation in,
            and plug into a few different things ..

Thanks you guys!

Comment

Ovation's weird round bodies always bugged me. They always slide away from me when I'm playing! They do have a nice sound, though. My friend Ryan started his music career (and by "career", I mean what he does at night when he's not working to make actual money...) with an Ovation.

Multi-effects pedals usually sound like crap. They take whatever natural tone your guitar has and crunch it down to sound like video game sounds. I dunno... maybe they've come a long way. Everyone I know that has had one generally said they're awful. Fun toys in the store, but fairly useless unless you're playing a detuned 7 string guitar in a nu-metal band.

For a guitar like that, with a fair amount of natural character, I'd say go for a small amp that's set up for acoustic guitar. Peavey and Kustom have always been my favorite brands. There are a fair number of brand new acoustic amps from either brand selling for well under $200.

In most cases, though, I don't even care to plug an acoustic in. If it needs to be amplified, it can be mic'd and run through a PA system.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Multi-effects pedals usually sound like crap. They take whatever natural tone your guitar has and crunch it down to sound like video game sounds. I dunno... maybe they've come a long way. Everyone I know that has had one generally said they're awful. Fun toys in the store, but fairly useless unless you're playing a detuned 7 string guitar in a nu-metal band.

For a guitar like that, with a fair amount of natural character, I'd say go for a small amp that's set up for acoustic guitar. Peavey and Kustom have always been my favorite brands. There are a fair number of brand new acoustic amps from either brand selling for well under $200.

In most cases, though, I don't even care to plug an acoustic in. If it needs to be amplified, it can be mic'd and run through a PA system.
                You know? The more that I get into this, the more that I see just what's out there now.
                I'm getting back into this after 10 or 12 years of hardly playing and or, no guitar!
                25 years ago, I was playing in clubs and acoustic gave way to heavy metal .. or some shit lol!
                It's had a great come back, and has technology blown me away! Wow!
                What can be done through a regular PC is simply mind blowing lol!
                Where the fugg have I been? I can loop stuff and have percussion? LIVE?
                Are you kidding me? Now I'm looking at sticks and digital percussion .. lmao!
                I can rapp out a good beat too btw! Can't play base or much lead .. I do play keyboards tho.

I've got wayyy more homework to do.
                Not that I'll be playing in clubs anymore, but I really miss jus sitting around and jamming.
                Knowing what's out there today is .. oii, input over-load! I've got some refining to do.

And Deev, I know, but I've always found that the round-back ONLY slips when you're standing
                and are strapped. Never have had issues while sitting.

This is a sick pedal lol!
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boss-RC-3-Lo...item58a75a9233

Comment

Ralphie! I came Acorss this lil bugger!

This is a baaad ass lil effects pedal .. I never even heard of this one
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0as28mrc7p4

I don't really wanna get into electric sounds with an acoustic.
                  But this thing, along with a cool lil amp should work.
                  Pricey lil bitch tho lol.

I'm still learning about all the new digital shit, but I keep coming back to the ole school stuff.
                  LOL I'm no further along today then I was the other day .. ug!
                  But I do like this Zoom A3.

Comment

Can't check those links from work.

This is my main board-

http://zkcd.net/_gfx/matos/dyn/large...nx1-genetx.jpg

A digitech GNX1. I've had it since 2006, so it's pretty old by todays standards.

It has 1000s of effects. Amp modeling, midi out, drum tracks, recording, tuning, etc.

I'd have to disagree with Mike on them sounding like shit. There are a lot of "gizmo's" out there, a lot of fluff, but some shit is really good.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the GNX1 is good for touring, or live performances per say, as it's complicated, but it could be used for live shows if you had too.

For jamming though, it's great. It has blues effects, country twang, live effects, over driven, acoustic, wahwah, delay, phaser etc.

I find most of Digitech's stuff to be high quality.

Those have come a long way, they have GNX2, GNX3, GNX4 etc.

Very much refined. What I see a lot of musicians do, is build a pedal board with only the effects they want on there. So you have to decide if you want to spend a few bills and get a lot of shit in one shot, or spend a lot over a period of time and collect pedals as you go. Just remember, all those pedals need power, and have to be daisychained...and the order in which they're in affects everything.

Like I said, I just picked up a Digitech Hendrix pedal with emulated his big sounds which really is nothing more then fuzz pedals, and Octavia pedals. The difference is the emulation comes straight from his master tapes from Electric Ladyland studios.

Imo, the pedal is a classic. It sounds great(especially Voodoo Chile and the Star Spangled Banner.)

And my fav part is if I don' want to play Hendrix, I can use it to obtain other sounds while still keeping that Hendrix edge right at my foot.

hendrix- http://c1.zzounds.com/media/quality,...2a67146d33.jpg

And ill probably pick up this looper/sampler from Digitech in a week or so-

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images...-xt-630-80.jpg

Allows 39 minutes of loops to be recorded in up too 99 banks. Cd quality. So you can jam out a riff, record it, then kick it back on loop and shred your heart out.

Going to be a lot of fun.

And Ovation rocks, I do want to pick one up when I have the extra money.

Comment

Thank you SO much Ralphie!

I was looking at the Line 6 Floor Pod:
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-6-Floor...21206244619%26
                      I like the fact that you can tune both to what amp is used .. wow!

Great reviews on BOTH the GNX1 and the Floor Pod over at Ultimate Guitars dot com.
                      I really love the fact that there are percussion effects on both as well ..

Can you go directly to your CD player from an out on the GXNX1?
                      That's going to be a big + for me .. The Floor Pod does ..
                      I haven't really read up on the Digitech model you have .. but, I really like it lol!

Yes, I agree, this is my second Ovation, and they're pretty damn cool.
                      One thing I've found with them though, could be said about alotta guitars also,
                      and that is, you have to find the "right" one ..
                      I had my heart set on the Ovation Celebrity Plus CC24F Koa model ..
                      I LOVE Koa wood .. and the sound that it produces is like nothing else!
                      But literally tripping over the 1771 model for the price I got it for .. .. wellll ..

I've owned a Gibson Hummingbird, a Martin D-28 (REAL Neil Young guitar)
                      and several Epiphone's.
                      I like the Ovations for their lillll smaller keyboards (I don't have to sprreaad my fingers so much.
                      And IMHO, they sound better "plugged in". I don't know if it's because of the Lyrachord back,
                      or how it's shaped or, whatever .. but I do enjoy playing them a lot.

And isn't it sad that these pedals were made in like 06 and today, they're "outdated"?
                      LMAO! I guess though, that's one of the reasons I drive a CB7/9.
                      All the car that I need .. right now.

I guess if you're cutting CD's and performing every night .. but, that's another thread.

And Oh BTW ..
                      How do you think Hendrix woulda sounded had he played a Gibson Les Paul?

I LOVED the man to death .. he could make sounds that, well there weren't even sounds for!
                      Why he ever played a Fender .. lol.

Thanks so much again Ralphie .. great input, and it's helped me make some decisions.
                      And you're right, buying something like the Floor Pod or the Digitech is ONE device.
                      And, yeah, it is a bit price(er) however, buying a bunch of crap and spending more?
                      In the long run .. I like the idea of the "multi-effects" all in one ..

Thank You Thank You!

EDIT: gRRRR I just found a Line 6 Floor Pod PLUS on CL for 130 bucks ..
                      I won't jump I won't jump I won't jump I won't jump I won't jump LMAO!
                      dammmnn man .. soo tempting. But I have more homework .. to do.
                      Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 11-21-2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

No problem man! You helped me a ton with Camera stuff, so it's great to repay it, and besides, photography is not 2nd nature to me yet, but guitar and music is. Been playing for 15 years. Sometimes I can't believe how long I've actually played lol.

I actually decided to give this amp a try as opposed to a new pedal lol.

Even though it's only 20w, it supposedly put's out a huge sound and having a tube in the preamp section gives some good tones when cranked.

checked out videos and it sounds killer.

Right now I have a solid state Marshall 2200 series I think. 50w, it's cool, but nothing to write home about.

I have an old Acoustic 4x12 cabinet. I don't even know what kind of speakers it has, but eventually I need to upgrade to some good ones.

So since im getting a little bit of cash for Hanukkah, I might give this thing a try.

And the fact that it's the size of a tissue box is awesome.

It's only like $119 bucks. And reviewers online said that played through a stack, gives it even more edge. I can also swap out the tubes to change the sound if I get bored with it.
                        Last edited by Ralphie; 11-23-2013, 07:59 PM.

Comment

I've been LOOKING at that "Orange" .. funny I come in here, and you have it ..

hmm ..

Comment

My setup right now. That Micro terror, really is micro lol.

So far so good, got that orange sound! Could use a little more crunch but it is only 20w.

It is really fucking loud though lmao.

Good thing is I found it so cheap, Im going to be able to get the loop pedal also!

Ill post back when it comes in!

Comment

very nice ... I have sooo much to learn man ..

Comment

Working...
                              X