looking for a new vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for a new vehicle

So if you had $2000 grand roughly to spend on a new vehicle, what would you get? I want something comfortable and reliable, and i would prefer 95 newer (not huge there) , with auto trans and auto locks/windows..

Just something i can get in and drive..

And im on the fence on either a car

or SUV

so both sides of the fence options would be nice.. I just dont know where to even start so i figured i would come to you guys.. Thanks!!
    1996 Honda Shadow VT1100C

Sold
    1993 Honda Accord 10th Ann

Originally posted by Shadow91 View Post
    So if you had $2000 grand roughly to spend on a new vehicle, what would you get? I want something comfortable and reliable, and i would prefer 95 newer (not huge there) , with auto trans and auto locks/windows..

Just something i can get in and drive..

And im on the fence on either a car

or SUV

so both sides of the fence options would be nice.. I just dont know where to even start so i figured i would come to you guys.. Thanks!!
    a clean ass coupe from the south, west or southwest fuh an suv..if you only have 2 stacks to buy the vehicle how you gonna feed it. suv are ravenous beasts. ill stay with 4 banging sippers.

if money wasnt an option, Id bag an s10 blazer and put a 383 in it. or perhaps v8 a 240sx..maybe rotary a datsun 510..rotary bag and 4 link a b2200

but id stick with a mid 90s honda for economical reliability. and be really picky.

Comment

The gas issue is my biggest issue with an SUV.. But i want something comfy and it will stay STOCK..
      1996 Honda Shadow VT1100C

Sold
      1993 Honda Accord 10th Ann

Comment

I wouldn't waste my time with a $2,000 budget.

You're going to end up with something that will need $2,000 worth of work within the first year if you're not careful.

Comment

$2000 grand? That's Veyron money!

I have to agree, though. A $2000 car is either a project or a beater.
          Actually, you'd be better off buying a $1000 car and putting $1000 into it. That still won't get you much, but if you shop smart and do as much of the work yourself as possible, you could be good. Replace all important seals and gaskets, change all fluids, replace suspension bushings and shocks, get new tires. You'd be lucky to get all that for $1000, even if you buy the cheapest possible parts...

For $1000, you're pretty much limited to Japanese cars. German cars seem to carry a higher cost of repair (and from my observation, they like to burn...) and American cars really do fall apart.

Comment

I know this probably isn't on the table, but have you considered leasing a vehicle? With $2000 down, you could probably get a Base Jetta, Fit, Yaris, Mazda2, etc for like $100 a month(depending on credit). Over the course of 2-3 years, it would probably do much better than a $2000 car that might have a $500 or $1500 repair here or there.
            '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
            If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

If it's your only car then stick with honda's man.

If it's not your only car , then a p71 would be pretty sweet.

in all honesty 2000$ is plenty money for a decent car. I bought my wagon for 1500$ 3 years ago and it's a champ. Course cars in wisconsin are all dirt ass cheap.

Comment

SUV = Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ, get a 2wd model if you're worried about gas. I6 or V8 won't matter. The difference in gas consumption is like 1-2mpg. 5.9L V8 is a different story

Car = Anything japanese. Civic, accord, prelude, mazda 626, mazda 929 (those are nice), mazda milenia S or base model, protege, various base model subarus, etc.

You've also got american options; Cavalier (I recommend Z24 or LS/ LS sport models), Neon, sebring, avenger, cobalt, PT cruiser, sunfire, etc.

The inbetween vehicles; Subaru outback

You could go vintage also. (Pre 1977) VW Beetles sale really cheap in texas. You could find one here with minimal rust for about 2k and those cars are really reliable. And quite easy to fix when they break down.

Comment

i think 2 grand around here will get you a bicycle.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

only 2g's it won't get you much and it definitely won't get you a new car probably but not a new one. why not get another cb they are cheap to maintain and parts are abundant if you know where to look.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                      i think 2 grand around here will get you a bicycle.
                      Good ol' California...

You must be referring to something like this?

Its $2k, and:

Originally posted by Hammacher Schlemmer
                      This is the electric bicycle that folds in half, ideal for commutes and storage at work or an apartment. Folding around its integrated battery compartment, its front half collapses against its rear half while its front unifork folds into the frame, creating a compact 30" H x 18" W x 12" D shape. Deployed for riding, its silent 250-watt electric motor assists up hills or powers across broad flats for smooth cruising on 20" tires up to 15 mph in full-power mode. When in assist mode, sensors in the pedals detect how hard you are pedaling, which prompts the motor to engage; three-speed control is located at the handlebars; the bicycle can also be pedaled without powered assistance. Its LCD panel displays remaining battery life, speed selection, current speed, and distance traveled. A removable 24-volt rechargeable lithium battery provides a 15-mile range on a six-hour charge using the included AC adapter. Front discs and a rear hub provide confident braking. Aircraft aluminum frame supports riders up to 250 lbs. 58 1/4" L x 20" W x 47 1/4" H. (54 lbs.)

PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
                        SUV = Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ, get a 2wd model if you're worried about gas. I6 or V8 won't matter. The difference in gas consumption is like 1-2mpg. 5.9L V8 is a different story

Car = Anything japanese. Civic, accord, prelude, mazda 626, mazda 929 (those are nice), mazda milenia S or base model, protege, various base model subarus, etc.

You've also got american options; Cavalier (I recommend Z24 or LS/ LS sport models), Neon, sebring, avenger, cobalt, PT cruiser, sunfire, etc.

The inbetween vehicles; Subaru outback

You could go vintage also. (Pre 1977) VW Beetles sale really cheap in texas. You could find one here with minimal rust for about 2k and those cars are really reliable. And quite easy to fix when they break down.
                        I used to have a 1992 Mazda 929. Probably the most luxurious and comfortable car I've owned.
                        Originally posted by crazymikey
                        I thought a toaster with wheels was pretty cool....

Comment

I'm curious about the Millenia. Basically, it was intended to be Mazda's entry into the luxury market under their stillborn Cosmo brand. Essentially, it's Mazda's competitor to the Lexus ES.
                          They sell for pretty cheap these days, and I've seen some beater Millenias in surprisingly good condition. The Millenia S has a fancy twin screw supercharger, superior to the basic roots blowers found on most other factory supercharged vehicles (still makes pretty pathetic power... but it's cool nonetheless.)

Comment

Those cars were quick. My uncle had one. Threw me back in my seat every time he punched the gas pedal. Was a great car till he had an accident and it never ran right after that.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              I'm curious about the Millenia. Basically, it was intended to be Mazda's entry into the luxury market under their stillborn Cosmo brand. Essentially, it's Mazda's competitor to the Lexus ES.
                              They sell for pretty cheap these days, and I've seen some beater Millenias in surprisingly good condition. The Millenia S has a fancy twin screw supercharger, superior to the basic roots blowers found on most other factory supercharged vehicles (still makes pretty pathetic power... but it's cool nonetheless.)
                              my friend had one he still refuses to sell it maybe its for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X