Headed to Houston for an Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to Houston for an Interview

Some of you may or may not know that recently I have been between contracts and have been a jack of all trades throughout the day and an AutoZone employee part time as well. I've been out of a contract for nearly 7 months now. This is the reason why I have both been active and inactive on the forum for this time.

I'm an engineer by trade, a contract engineer to be specific.

But this coming week, on Tuesday, I'm traveling to Houston for an interview. It may be possible that this interview is a permanent position. Boy that would be nice. I've been a contractor for the last 11 years.

Anyway just figured I would drop this here and have you guys hope/wish/pray for me.

I'm not super fond of Houston, but a permanent consistent paycheck and not having to move every 6 months to a year is worth it. My CB7 deserves some constant attention that only a steady healthy paycheck can provide.
    Last edited by wildBill83; 07-28-2013, 04:46 PM.

And you'll get medical insurance And days off, and steady work, and not have to worry about your future. Ya, i'm a contractor too.

Congrats man!!

Comment

You have my number so call me if you need a place to stay. Food and drinks are on me.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I just might have to swing by and see your build Jarrett. The interview is on Tuesday in NE Houston off HWY 10 and the 610 loop at 3:30PM. I know you're a busy guy, but if you have time Tuesday let me know. I open AutoZone at 7:15AM on Wednesday so I can't stay too long. I hope you got plenty of sweet tea.

Comment

I always have tea. But the water here in Houston sucks and makes it taste funny. I still drink it anyway, but feel I must add the disclaimer. Bring your tools if you have a spare moment. There's a HUGE LKQ junkyard right there at 610 and Wallisville that would be worth your time to check out. Prices aren't bad, but they're not great either.

Anyway, I'm never free, but I can always make time. Just let me know.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Good luck bro, hope it goes well.
            MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
            1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

Good luck with the interview!

Comment

Good luck!

I was unemployed for 2 years, then a had a good job and got greedy and took another better paying job only to be let go and then broke and unemployed for 6 mos.

6 mos might not sound like a lot, but when I was laid off it was in the middle of buying a house.

We ended up getting the house, which was a miracle the mortgage went through with me being unemployed.

Now I have a FT job again doing something that is bearable but, like you said, it's a healthy consistent paycheck that is guaranteed, so I can't complain.

I got my weekend side gig, which is what im doing right now.

Getting paid to be on cb7tuner LMAO.

Good luck dude!

Comment

Thanks for all the warm wishes. I'm really nervous about this interview.

I feel like I'm going on a first date and haven't dated in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                    Thanks for all the warm wishes. I'm really nervous about this interview.

I feel like I'm going on a first date and haven't dated in a while.
                    Good luck I think you will find it easier to get around in Houston, more people so less of an eye on you in a small town.

Recently I spoke to my buddy who I help get a job in a 3 letter agency. Well turns out he no longer has that job. Now he is an administrator in Headquarters So yeah any time I feel liker relocating I gotta job there too. Things have a way of working out.

Comment

Good luck, man. I'm a contractor too, and it's scary when the workflow gets slow. I'd love a steady job with time off and benefits, but finding one that pays enough is difficult!

Living in NJ, it's beyond my comprehension how large a place like Texas really is. You say "heading to Houston" implying a fairly long trip. I travel through 80% of NJ in a single work day, up and back!

Comment

El Paso to Houston is a 12 hour trip (not stopping for gas). I'm only going from central Texas to Houston and that is still a 4 hour trek. Texas is so HUGE! Thanks for the support deev.

My nerves are beginning to calm down but I'm sure come Tuesday morning they will be fried again!

Comment

Bah, don't stress it. Look at it as if you're interviewing them, not the other way around. You're the one selling something. You're the one that has something they want. They want a good employee as much as (or more than) you want a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                            El Paso to Houston is a 12 hour trip (not stopping for gas). I'm only going from central Texas to Houston and that is still a 4 hour trek. Texas is so HUGE! Thanks for the support deev.

My nerves are beginning to calm down but I'm sure come Tuesday morning they will be fried again!
                            DFW used to be the #1 spot in texas for IT. Seems like Houston is taking its place, and with all the land and oil they have down there Im sure it will be a nice move for you. Gas is usually about $.50 cheaper there vs the rest of the nation.

Houston and Austin and the next big players in Texas, google internet is available in Austin now. Offtopic my bad

Comment

Good luck man. I'm out of a job currently as well, been so for about 2 months now. Seems like there are no Engineering positions in AZ.

I just went to Marysville, OH for a job interview with Honda R&D Americas for an Engine Development position, but the kind of questions they asked were really specific. But ended up not getting the job most likely due to my inexperience. Everyone wants someone with 5+ yrs and there's no way to get that being fresh out of college.

At least they flew me out there, took care of the hotel, round trip airfare, car rental and all food expenses. It was a nice facility to check out. And I've never been to Ohio so that was cool.

But I hope you get the job. Being a permanent hire has a lot of perks. I didn't have a worry in the world when was employed. Money was good, could get anything I wanted for my car whenever, eat out whenever, bills always paid on time. Went to work 8-5 came home and relaxed. Weekends off, 2 weeks vacation and holidays. Ahhh those were the good days.

member's ride thread
                              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                              91 Accord SE 176k
                              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                              X