Can I flip it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I flip it?

Ok cb7 fam i need your input on this. Thinking about buying this car for 500 bucks then fixing it and reselling it. My problem is i am on the fence if i can turn a profit.
    Here are the pics

Driver side door handle is broken

Missing radio though u can see one laying in the back

Dent on roof right above back passenger window

Some grey stuff i think jb weld or bondo not sure but as you can see most peels off

Missing bumper lights.
    As for mechanical issues brakes are bad metal on metal, driver side axle makes noise when making sharp turn and oil leak under valve cover.
    It struggles to starts but starts and drives fine it has 210k miles on it.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

I can do the brake job correct and get all new parts for about 260 or i can go to my local junkyard and pull the spindles for 40 bucks. I am good with mechanical stuff not good with body work.

Also got permission from deeve to post this as well. Do you think i can turn a profit on it?
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

Why is every one into flipping cars now.... Watching all those new car flipping shows?

You really need to know what the going rate for all levels of the car you are flipping are going for in your area. Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor, high or low mileage. Then you need to know what level you are willing and able to flip this accord to. Compare the cost for you to do it and go from there whether it is worth it or not.

Only you know what your time is worth to you. If you are looking to get rich quick.... I wouldn't get into flipping 20+ year old cars that are beat.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I think you may be able to resell it in the $1000 range if the A/C works and you fix it to be safe on the streets, but you are going to spend a good deal of time and money to resell it. Will your time be worth the difference in money spent is the real question.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
          I think you may be able to resell it in the $1000 range if the A/C works and you fix it to be safe on the streets, but you are going to spend a good deal of time and money to resell it. Will your time be worth the difference in money spent is the real question.
          Time is not an issue for me, i got plenty of it and money wise thats what i am trying to figure out. If i can do it for cheap and and make 200 dollar profit i will be happy. But I think your price is about right on what I can sell it for.

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
          Why is every one into flipping cars now.... Watching all those new car flipping shows?

You really need to know what the going rate for all levels of the car you are flipping are going for in your area. Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor, high or low mileage. Then you need to know what level you are willing and able to flip this accord to. Compare the cost for you to do it and go from there whether it is worth it or not.

Only you know what your time is worth to you. If you are looking to get rich quick.... I wouldn't get into flipping 20+ year old cars that are beat.
          I have always wanted to get into car flipping and house flipping, the shows didnt start my want to do so. i have compared this car to others being sold in the area and if i fix the mechanical side i think it will fall into the 1000-1200 range.
          Also i am itching to work on a car since mine is not here its in another state. The reason i picked this chassis is because i have the know how and parts are everywhere.

Thank you both for the opinions
          ~Nick~

Comment

I would check timing and compression as well as the cap and rotor condition. Hard starts are a sign of failures to come.

Comment

Very true. I also thought about picking it up and parting it out since red seems to be a rare color for that year. Thoughts?
              ~Nick~

Comment

Red interior is hard to come by, I don't think the body panels are worth much and doubt you will get back the $500 by parting it out.

Why not just buy it and keep it as secondary transportation or a parts car for your other CB7? That is what I'm doing with my LX I just got.

Comment

Wife feels we already have too many vehicles. I would love to use this as a parts car for my other cb but she doesn't want me to spend any money that i can't make back. I will probably just let this car go to someone who truly needs it. The guy who is selling it got the car for free because his renters defaulted.
                  I just realized this may actually be a 92 judging from the bumper lights and the steering wheel. I have yet to see it in person but my buddy was the one who test drove it and snapped the pics for me.
                  ~Nick~

Comment

If the engine is in good shape, you can fix the body, throw some decent wheels on it, and detail it you should be able to get at least $1,500+ for it. I sold my '90 EX sedan for $1,600 and it had around 150K. I sold it cheap because I wanted something else and it was stock. Only mods were a head unit and tinted windows(other than 92-93 conversion and wheels). My opinion.
                    1990 Accord EX

Comment

I used to flip CB's 4 to 5 years ago, when they were plentiful and cheap. The supplies dried up a few years ago. I'd buy a decent worn out car, fix it up completely, including rust work and new paint, and sell it. Made at least $1000 if not more on each one.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I have fixed a few totaled cars, even 1 cb7. If it drives straight it can be fixed with j/y fenders doors ect. The biggest problem with this one to me is the roof dent. That could represent unibody damage from the accedent that messed up the door and fender. It actually looks like the door is a different shade of worn out from the rear fender leading me to believe it was replaced, maybe its the pic. 500 might be a bit steep. 300 or 400 is my target assuming the motor is good. I like to put on alloys, junk yard leather, the nicest compilation of fenders,doors,hood,trunk basicly everything that bolts on. Once it looks pristine sell it being honest with the buyer of priyor damage, and repairs you could get 1500-2000. Making 500-1000.
                        If that roof dent is a crinkle from a wreck, walk away.
                        ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

^ you think it will really be worth $2000 with mismatched body parts and dents? I think you'd need about 40 hours of bodywork in a fully equipped shop in order to make that car worth $2000.
                          I bought a CB in 2006 for $1400 with less miles and less dents.

The car is a $500 car and any work you put into it, If you spend $250-300 on parts to make it look a little better, it will be a $750-800 car. IMO. So you'll basically do all the work for nothing. Not to mention title transfer costs and gas costs (to get to junk yard and back) and your time looking for parts and putting them on.

Comment

i wouldnt buy it....but i also told myself that i dont get anything older than 2000 to flip.

now im stuck with a 2000 audi a6 lol
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I wouldn't spend $500 for that car in the condition it's in right now. The sheer amount of bondo in that A pillar area scares me that there was some serious damage and some pretty terrible repair work completed.

That being said, let's take your target market into consideration. The average person searching for a car that cheap is going to look at year and mileage. That 2000 Cavalier is going to look more appealing than an old Honda. The enthusiast that would buy it because of what it is will most likely prefer a clean body without great mechanicals over a rusty car that looks like Maaco used it as a trainee car. Even then, it's the LX, not the EX, so there's a lot of desirable pieces that the car does not have.

That car needs TONS of bodywork. I'd pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X