• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyber attack

US-China cyber security wrangle lies ahead
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-22809936

China has 'mountains of data' about U.S. cyber attacks: official
    http://news.yahoo.com/china-mountain...000237738.html

News program of Japanese National TV also reports that some governmental agencies has been attacked by viruses written with Chinese language program that is disguised as other language.

How do they do it?
    How can it be stopped?
    My first son, a computer geek, says that only thing that can stop is one's (hacker's) moral.
    Now, who/what nation has more moral?
    Last edited by oyajicool; 06-07-2013, 10:08 AM. Reason: spell check
    A&P-IA

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
    US-China cyber security wrangle lies ahead
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-22809936

China has 'mountains of data' about U.S. cyber attacks: official
    http://news.yahoo.com/china-mountain...000237738.html

News program of Japanese National TV also reports that some governmental agencies has been attacked by viruses written with Chinese language program that is disguised as other language.

How do they do it?
    How can it be stopped?
    My fist son, a computer geek, says that only thing that can stop is one's (hacker's) moral.
    Now, who/what nation has more moral?
    I've been saying the Chinese are using cyber attacks against us for a few years and every one thinks I have a tin foil hat on. Fucking tards.

Well you can really do anything about it. The chinese are so good at scanning the network and infiltrating machines that they do not bother to encrypt the messages.

Almost all "Made in China" hardware that you own, be it what ever, has firmware inside of it that has been left unmodified so when a virus from china is introduced it can "update the software" to use the firmware on that device to shoot back user information to them.

And let me tell you most of the information that they have is 100% shit but they take the information anyway just cause they can, again most of what they take and steal is gets sent back 100% unencrypted. Even the fucking viruses are 100% unencrypted so this is actually a surprise but not alarming to me.

I mean who the fuck you know that can read manderin ?! (well you might cause if I remember you are a descendant of Asian people so you might know a Chinese guy .. idk if you are Chinese tho)

Its funny that people think China is our Ally ... LOL tards.

*EDITI*

I didnt answer your question sorry bro,
    no it can not be stopped.
    you can protect yourself by using
    Web of Trust
    Open DNS
    a good fire wall
    a good anti virus
    creating back ups
    using encryption for files and browsing
    and using self automated password keys.

its a long fucking process to explain all this shit.
    for examply my password on the forum is shit. because well IDGAF about using a password encryption or using any type of security on this forum. If something would happen I have a few friends in the 3 letter agency that would be more than happy to confiscate some shit. But I trust this forum for some reason.
    Last edited by 8ball; 06-07-2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

We(The U.S.) make it easy.

For instance, by using p2p and allowing access to your computer, and not setting it up properly, hackers have been able to snatch files from elsewhere on the system.

We've seen this in major coporations where one person installs a p2p program and then all of a sudden the companies files are floating around the internet.

The Govt takes their computer security pretty fucking serious, as do most large organziations.

Like if you plug in a non approved USB device into a govt laptop/desktop, a program automatically wipes your device. ....like that serious.

So when you want to just play your ipod on your work pc, and you plug it in, its now wiped lol.

But like I said, we make it easy for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
        We(The U.S.) make it easy.

For instance, by using p2p and allowing access to your computer, and not setting it up properly, hackers have been able to snatch files from elsewhere on the system.

We've seen this in major coporations where one person installs a p2p program and then all of a sudden the companies files are floating around the internet.

The Govt takes their computer security pretty fucking serious, as do most large organziations.

Like if you plug in a non approved USB device into a govt laptop/desktop, a program automatically wipes your device. ....like that serious.

So when you want to just play your ipod on your work pc, and you plug it in, its now wiped lol.

But like I said, we make it easy for them.
        I have to agree, I was working for the DOL and they always told us to not plug shit into those PC's. Some would make a complete copy and have the files analyzed others would just wipe your device clean.

I forgot which ones did what but all of them were linked back to the DOD because they were in charge of securing our workstations.

I ended up getting my friend a job at the DOD. Side tracked...

Comment

The Japanese news I was talking about, there's a lower level government worker. He got an email from a guy claims that he met a few years ago.
          The worker do not remember his guy but decides to reply anyways.
          The hacker sends him saying the attached photo is from when they met each other.
          The worker tried to open that and then nothing happened, on the surface. But the damage was done.

The virus spread through the server they had and many important files were copied and sent out.
          A&P-IA

Comment

My personal experience, with no speculation. In my last job working in a network operations center, whenever one of our networks came under attack from an external source, the IP address always traced back to China.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
              The Japanese news I was talking about, there's a lower level government worker. He got an email from a guy claims that he met a few years ago.
              The worker do not remember his guy but decides to reply anyways.
              The hacker sends him saying the attached photo is from when they met each other.
              The worker tried to open that and then nothing happened, on the surface. But the damage was done.

The virus spread through the server they had and many important files were copied and sent out.
              email is the easiest way to get a virus.

if you have a suspect email forward it to the proper authorities and dont just forward it send the entire header so that they get were its coming from etc. ask you son how to do this, its a long process like I said .

I forgot the website name but is made by the FBI to receive spam emails and trace them back to the people sending that shit out, not allot of people know about it. That is why I say foward it correctly otherwise you get investigated for a little bit lol. No seriously.

Comment

Its a whole other world when you enter the backend of networking, programming, and the security involved. No-one is really safe in the end. There's always someone smart enough to duplicate and hack the security developed by MS, Cisco, etc. I've worked for several large organizations where security is taken very serious! No cds allowed, no external devices, and several layers of hardware and software defense.

But these reads remind me of this - "Cyber caper: behind the scenes of the $45 million global ATM heist"
                http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/13/43...lion-atm-heist

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  Its a whole other world when you enter the backend of networking, programming, and the security involved. No-one is really safe in the end. There's always someone smart enough to duplicate and hack the security developed by MS, Cisco, etc. I've worked for several large organizations where security is taken very serious! No cds allowed, no external devices, and several layers of hardware and software defense.

But these reads remind me of this - "Cyber caper: behind the scenes of the $45 million global ATM heist"
                  http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/13/43...lion-atm-heist

^
                  yup I even retweeted that article a few hours after it was posted. That shit was crazy.

Ive known for a while how ATMs work I just would never fuck with them.

Its actually the same way gas pumps work if you know what im talking about.

Comment

I mean who the fuck you know that can read manderin ?! (well you might cause if I remember you are a descendant of Asian people so you might know a Chinese guy .. idk if you are Chinese tho)
                    My origin and the origin of brand of cars this forum is based upon is the same.
                    A&P-IA

Comment

I'm sure the Chinese aren't the only ones doing this. It's just sensational news because we're expecting something bad from China.

Hell, CB7tuner has been infiltrated by middle-eastern spammers in the past (not exactly hackers, but they've done their share of damage to this site.)

Hackers on our own soil have been wreaking havoc for decades now.

The only thing we really have to be cautious of is if the Chinese attacks are supported by the Chinese government (and that would be VERY hard to prove!)
                      If it's the government doing it, then it's one government attacking another. That's going to be a problem.
                      If it's just individuals, there's not much either government can do about it.

That's the thing with hackers... they make it their hobby to be one step ahead of all security measures. It doesn't matter what firewall, what anti-virus, what other safety measures you've taken... somewhere, there is a hacker that has already broken through it all. Especially when it comes to the products used by most casual computer users.

The only way to truly avoid a hacker attack is to never connect to the internet, and never install any new hardware or software.
                      Basically, my old Nintendo is the safest computer in my home.

Comment

don't forget that the US has initiated cyber attacks in the past as well. A worm called Stuxnet was created by the government to attack Iran's nuclear program. the worm attached itself to the control systems for their centrifuges and made them wobble just a little bit, and un-noticeably until the material that was inside was rendered useless for a nuclear program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I'm sure the Chinese aren't the only ones doing this.
                          The TV news reported that 60% of virus found in Japanese government system had a trace Chinese origin.
                          A&P-IA

Comment

I just want to note some things. For one, phishing isn't really hacking. The story oyajicool noted about a photo attached to an email is telling: the person actually downloaded the attachment, and tried to "open" it, which means one of two things:

1) It wasn't really a photo, and the system asked the person to execute some piece of software, and the person naively said "sure!" thus giving the phisher free reign on their system.
                            2) It was a photo, but the phisher crafted the photo in such a way that it would exploit a bug in the photo viewing software (or other software involved in that activity), which gave the phisher free reign.

The first case is a problem we'll likely never find a 100% solution for; some people will always fall for this no matter how much you try to help them. The second case is difficult as well, because fixing those vulnerabilities (which assumes they're known in the first place; more on this below) costs money, and businesses don't like spending money if they don't have to.

In my mind, a hacker is someone who is actively trying to find the exploits in a system, and doesn't rely on user intervention. They can do this completely without your knowledge, and without your help (as a user). They may even be doing it remotely; either finding vulnerabilities in common (or uncommon, if the target is valuable enough) software and systems, or finding known weaknesses in existing software and system, and exploiting them. Being a hacker takes cunning and intellect to be good; being a phisher is easy, because all you have to do is send an email and wait for some bimbo (to say "yes!" to that dialog that is warning them not to say "yes!"), which is simple enough and can be done in mass with the click of a button.

When you look at things like Stuxnet; those are targeted, sophisticated attacks. Honestly, I'm surprised the US had a hand in that; it actually worked as it was designed! I wonder how much that cost me as a tax payer...

Comment

Stuxnet was more Israel then the US im sure.

The US just backed them since they are our ally.

Comment

Working...
                              X