great way to start the day....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great way to start the day....

So I was driving across town today in my 2g dsm and then all of the sudden BOOM-and the car dies.

I coast over to the side of the road fearing the worst. In DSM talk, this could mean anything has happened. I pull over, and see fragments of shit all over the road behind me.

Pop the hood, things look pretty normal. Timing belt is in tact, thats a plus right?

After doing a quick run down of the basics under the hood, I cannot help but think to myself,"What was that boom?"

Lean over and look under the car and see the flesh wound.

I see oil dripping from various places. A puddle behind the car, and a trail leading up to the puddle.

I walk the road back and see what exactly is all over road.

In fragment form, it looks aluminum. Not exactly sure what is going on, I start gathering all the pieces and have a horrid feeling in my gut. Jack up the car, crawl under the car, and on the side of the road between my car and the curb, there it is;

Great.

Just what I always wanted.
    Last edited by toycar; 04-24-2013, 10:30 AM.
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Dang, that sucks. Do you have a spare 4G63 laying around, or at least most of the parts necessary to build another one?
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

The browser at work sucks so I can't see your pic. But I'm just going to throw a wild guess and say that bearings shot out of the oilpan.
      '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
      If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        Dang, that sucks. Do you have a spare 4G63 laying around, or at least most of the parts necessary to build another one?

Lol, of course I have a garage full of 4g63 parts. I own several dsm's, it comes with the territory. I actualy have a 2.3 build for my other 2g dsm that is basically finished and that car is all pulled apart getting some tuck and engine bay attention.

So, I might just swap that into this car and start over on the other one. This was an OEM motor with 164k miles.

6bolt swap.

And yeah, for anyone interested the piston basically exploded and there is a hole in the block half the size of a shoe box. Its awesome! One of my best breaks ever!!!

I was beating the snot out of this car the other night and that might have something to do with why this happened. I had a feeling the time was nearing on this engine, but aside from instinct there was no indication something was wrong. I run a holset turbo on this car and it has ran lean a few times so I think maybe there were hariline cracks hiding behind all the carbon build up, and eventually it just let loose.

Oh well. Whatever. Its all good.

I am a real DSM'er. I keep $75 in the ash tray for a tow home anytime I drive my car. Having a tow fund is about as important as having gas in the car when you drive a DSM.

Lol

This will make a nice addition to my collection of destroyed and brutally savaged engine parts.
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
          The browser at work sucks so I can't see your pic. But I'm just going to throw a wild guess and say that bearings shot out of the oilpan.
          Way worse.

Piston exploded, completely came off wrist pin and is in pieces. Bearing cap on connecting rod is gone, rod bolt location missing on half of rod. Rod is bent pretty damn good too. Rod was ejected from engine, block is not pictured but hole left behind was obviously large enough to fit a rod through. '

Lol

Awesome!!

Comment

Instead of putting the 2.3 in this one can you not just use the engine from the other one that the 2.3 would be replacing, or is the (now)2.3 the engine original to that car?
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I love that any real DSM enthusiast will be the first to admit that their cars could blow up at any time!

Sucks to see how much damage there was. At least you have the parts and knowledge to fix it properly!

4G63s have two states... awesome, and in pieces.

Comment

Was it a turbo?
                A&P-IA

Comment

I'm sure it was... what DSM is worth driving that isn't turbo?

Comment

V6 Eclipse?
                    '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                    If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                      Instead of putting the 2.3 in this one can you not just use the engine from the other one that the 2.3 would be replacing, or is the (now)2.3 the engine original to that car?
                      yeah the original motor became the 2.3

On the plus side I have a 6 bolt shortblock with a turned rod bearing that should be a good candidate for a rebuild, and I also have the 7 bolt longblock that was originally in this car too. That engine ate a valve through piston #3 about 7 years ago, but should be rebuildable otherwise.

Also, I have the rest of the 4g64 that I pulled the crank from for my 2.3 build and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

So I am sure I can get something together, but my wife is going to kill me, lol.

She was just bitching about how my son is becoming a grease monkey and how we go through more orange goop than dish soap.

I don't know what to tell her. I am in the hunt for another CB now, and she thinks since I got rid of my other one the herd is getting ready to shrink. She had the nerve to ask me to send my DSM that just exploded to the junkyard.

Can you imagine that? The audacity of that woman.

Comment

Always wanted a DSM just to know what boost feels like, but threads like these make me realize how poor I am and couldnt afford shit like this happening.

Good luck on the next build.

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                          Was it a turbo?
                          Yup.
                          Holset hy35 to be exact.

6 bolt swapped white/black two tone 2g talon with eclipse 2gb front end conversion.

I was pounding on the car the other night 8,000-8,500 rpm's on 26 or so psi-and I think that is what lead up to this. I saw boost spike to 28-30psi(out of the corner of my eye, not really sure) and saw afr's jump to 18-19:1 for a second. I am not really sure what happened, but, I did see it and noticed it when I was reviewing my log.

Knock spiked over 100 for a split second.

Anyways, totally think that is what caused this. It wasn't acting strange at all when I started it/drove it. Until the boom that is.

Lol

Comment

I say scrap the 4G63/4 engines and grab yourself a Montero block and 6G72 heads. Pick up another Holset turbo, a couple of tubular manifolds and some lube to wedge it all in the bay. You wouldn't think about an Accord again a day in your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                              V6 Eclipse?

Wait... no...

Yeah

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                              yeah the original motor became the 2.3

On the plus side I have a 6 bolt shortblock with a turned rod bearing that should be a good candidate for a rebuild, and I also have the 7 bolt longblock that was originally in this car too. That engine ate a valve through piston #3 about 7 years ago, but should be rebuildable otherwise.

Also, I have the rest of the 4g64 that I pulled the crank from for my 2.3 build and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

So I am sure I can get something together, but my wife is going to kill me, lol.

She was just bitching about how my son is becoming a grease monkey and how we go through more orange goop than dish soap.

I don't know what to tell her. I am in the hunt for another CB now, and she thinks since I got rid of my other one the herd is getting ready to shrink. She had the nerve to ask me to send my DSM that just exploded to the junkyard.

Can you imagine that? The audacity of that woman.
                              If you rebuild the 7 bolt, all crankwalk risks are gone, right? Or was that an issue with the design itself?

And most women just don't understand that a broken car isn't trash... it's the beginning of a new project!

Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
                              Always wanted a DSM just to know what boost feels like, but threads like these make me realize how poor I am and couldnt afford shit like this happening.

Good luck on the next build.
                              A decade ago, a DSM would've been an ok way to experience boost on the cheap. These days, you REALLY need to have a love for the cars. They're old, and most of them have been neglected and beat on. Very few DSMs have escaped the abuse of a teenager's wrench and right foot. The few that have are ancient, and any turbo car will have issues after enough miles (same for any car, but turbo is even more harsh.) The AWD ones, which IMO are the only ones worth owning anyway, have even more stuff to wear out over the years.
                              The only way to buy a reliable DSM now is to get one from someone that knows them inside and out, who happens to be selling their baby (or a shop that is well known for building and restoring them.) It would be very expensive to buy one worth owning... upwards of $10,000 in some cases, I've seen. I've seen partially completed project Galant VR4s go for $8000! If I went for an AWD 4G63t, it would be a Galant VR4 over the Eclipse/Talon/Laser. The VR4 is just tits... and quite possibly the best-made Mitsubishi ever.

These days, the best cars to get just to experience boost would probably be the Neon SRT-4 (or hell... the Caliber SRT-4... totally unloved, and you could probably get one for a steal!) The Cobalt SS would be good as well, though the cheap ones will be the older supercharged models (though still cool, IMO... the Ion Redline would be the cheaper route to the supercharged solution there.)
                              The older WRX isn't bad, but they tend to hold their value until they pop. The turbo VWs (GTI and GLI) are decent, but they're not very potent in stock form... and pricier than the US or Japanese cars to pull more power from them reliably. Audi is the same, only with a higher pricetag on EVERYTHING.

Actually... the best OLD turbo car to mess with would probably be the turbo RWD Volvos. The old 740 and 940. Absolutely dirt simple design, fairly common parts, not terribly expensive to buy or fix (though aftermarket go-fast options are few, and they can get pricey.)
                              I have a love of old Volvos. I regret getting rid of mine, slow as it was...

Comment

Working...
                              X