4x4
    184k miles

OR

2003 BMW 330xi
    Specs:
    3.0L inl 6
    AWD
    67,506 miles

I have always wanted a diesel and thats a steal for it where I live, But i also love bmw's.

Anyone have experience with either?

My buddy have a the same year cummins, and I know there notorius for wheel bearing problems, and injection pumps.

Don't know to much about the problems of that year bmw though

Any help is appreciated,
    Bucky
    You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
    Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

If you like helping others with moving, buy the truck.
    If not, buy the car.
    A&P-IA

Comment

It really depends on what you will need/get out of it.

Those are fucking lightyears away from each other.

I wont sit here and list pros and cons, as it's obv.

Truck has really high mileage and if used correctly, take quite a beating.Dodges hold up ok though in the long run iirc.

That BWM is probably sweet, but they are some of the most expensive cars to maintain, just even in the first 5 years according to Consumer Reports.

So id really go with what you will get the most use out of.

You don't really have long windy roads in PA(that I know of).

Trucks come in handy in a pinch.

Comment

you want a diesel truck when prices are over $4 a gallon?

If you won't use it for your job or hauling stuff, there's no need to get a truck. Unless you like spending $150+ dollars every fill-up every week or so

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
          If you like helping others with moving, buy the truck.
          If not, buy the car.
          That is sooo true. When i had my Dakota, all my "friends" kept asking me to help them move.

Comment

Even with a wagon people ask for help moving *cough* dysfunk *cough*

To the OP: Is this vehicle going to be a daily driver?

I'd like to own a truck, diesel preferably, but as a work truck and not a daily driver.

I wouldn't worry about the miles on the Cummins as long as it's been maintained. Even diesels need proper maintenance.

Both Cummins parts as well as BMW parts are expensive....
            Originally posted by deevergote
            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

If you have a house or will be buying a house in the future, get the truck. If not, get the car.

Comment

If the Cummins is not the HO engine, don't even bother. Is it a manual or automatic?

Either way, I have a real problem seeing how a newer E46 BMW with much fewer miles is priced similarly to an older Dodge pickup with much more.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Though you could profit off moving too.....cases of beer are always nice

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Even though the dodge diesel trucks are decent, that's a LOT of miles. Then again, the BMW is a decade old. Miles are low, but an old BMW will be pricey to fix. AWD will make it even pricier.

Comment

Bmw will just be a money pit that gets you from A to B. Dodge is at least useful for something, hauling stuff. A 3/4 ton diesel truck is great for towing, and you can charge your friends to move their cars. Cummins engines are good for 500K miles at least.

I've read the 1998.5 to 2002 Dodge Cummins engines have a bad injection pump design. Look it up, and find out if the truck has had it replaced. Injection pumps are $1100+, so run the other way if it's condition can't be confirmed. Usually a good price means someone is off-loading a problem vehicle.
                      Last edited by Accrdwgnguy; 03-17-2013, 12:19 PM.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

It being a diesel and a cummin's 187k is childs play to a properly maintain cummin's, hell 500k is normal around here with the hauling of X-mas trees.
                        Now the clutches are a weak point especially when trying to throw power at them, but it being a 98 means it's a 12V not as easily modified as the 98.5+ 24V's.

02 Crv
                        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

My parents have 3 e46, 2000 328i coupe, 2005 330i, 2006 330' coupe. The bmw at that age with that mileage is going to need a lot of money in maitenence things.

Pulleys, coolant bottle, cam sensors, 4 dr window regulators are all built to break or wear quickly parts. Plus all the rubber will be rotting as well as exterior plastic dry rotting( grillles, cowl, coupe window moldings, headlight seals). Interior blower fans wear out and make noise.
                          Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

184k on a diesel is barely broken in. especially of that year. And this will be a pleasure vehicle. I drive 62 miles one way to work. So neither of these would be a good option
                            You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
                            Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

The engine may have a ton of life left... but the rest of the truck is still a Dodge!

Comment

Working...
                              X