Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would be interested in solid shifter base bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who would be interested in solid shifter base bushings?

Ive been emailing back and forth with a www.corsportusa.com representative about the aluminum shifter base bushings they produce. Unfortunately they dont offer them for our chassis.

The purpose of this thread is really to gauge interest so I can refer to the rep to it in an attempt to have them produced. This is not a group buy, if I am able to get that much interest I will begin that in a seperate thread.

Let me know ladies and gents. I will create a running list on this post.
    1991 Accord Ex - H22A - Omnipower Coilovers - Greddy SP2
    1993 Civic Dx - D15B7 - T3/T04E - Ported head - Hole in block - May be going F swap

My Workout Log

Originally posted by Leung
    Well, I poked the big one in the head with the shovel while shouting at it "hey, you can't sleep here".

This sounds really interesting, Any info if its possible on them making one for our model if enough people wanted them?
    CB will be out beginning of March

Comment

I don't know to much about what a solid shifter base bushing does but I assume it improves shifting somehow. Please educate me on this topic.

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
      My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
      Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

Originally posted by EFSOHC View Post
        This sounds really interesting, Any info if its possible on them making one for our model if enough people wanted them?
        The rep told me I was the first to ask them about the bushings for our chassis, so my goal is to show there is a market for them. I have not told him I am doing this, but im sure the attention will help.

Originally posted by buzz11 View Post
        I don't know to much about what a solid shifter base bushing does but I assume it improves shifting somehow. Please educate me on this topic.
        Our shifter plates are smooshed between 2 pieces of rubber. Using aluminum they will be rigidly mounted to the chassis eliminating play in that area creating a more precise shift.

Im really excited for this guys, let me know if you would like to be added to the list.
        1993 Civic Dx - D15B7 - T3/T04E - Ported head - Hole in block - May be going F swap

My Workout Log

Well, I poked the big one in the head with the shovel while shouting at it "hey, you can't sleep here".

Comment

There is almost nothing to be gained from this other than vibration in the shift knob while driving. The bushings that are beneficial to upgrade are the on the actual lever arms that the shift cables connect to on top of the transmission. A few people on here have installed those and had decent improvements in feel. What you're talking about is just for the irrelevant base plate. In any event, CorSport already makes the cable bushings for our cars so we're already set.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            There is almost nothing to be gained from this other than vibration in the shift knob while driving. The bushings that are beneficial to upgrade are the on the actual lever arms that the shift cables connect to on top of the transmission. A few people on here have installed those and had decent improvements in feel. What you're talking about is just for the irrelevant base plate. In any event, CorSport already makes the cable bushings for our cars so we're already set.
            I have the shift lever bushings, they were a huge improvement.

Have you ever had the center console off and drove around? I notice alot of movement in the base plate just under normal stress, during hard shifting its bound to be worse.

My Workout Log

Comment

The baseplate only has give to it once the lever has reached the bump stop at the end of the throw. Unless you applied the precise amount of force for the exact duration of time it took for the lever to just contact the bump stop then the additional force would need to go somewhere. That excess force is what's transferred into the rubber bushings. Assuming you have solid cable bushings the shift itself was already as precise as it was going to be and adding solid baseplate bushings would only "improve" feel after the fact. In my opinion the cost of a vibrating knob and lever is not worth the illusional benefit.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Just moving the shifter over into the 1&2 gate the base plate shifts, atleast in my experience. Im sure some vibration will be evident, for some it wont be of concern.

My Workout Log

Comment

i just used washers in my auto-x car
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Bingo!

Comment

I think I've heard of STi guys doing this to great effect. I think my Cadillac could benefit from it as well. Then again, designs differ. I'm curious to see where it goes, though. A new product for our cars is always good, and it's nice to see that some are still willing to put forth the effort to get new stuff made for us!

Comment

Honestly, there is no reason to spend $30 on bushings when $5 in shorter bolts and washers do the same thing. The shifter feel in my car is great, with the stock Prelude shifter + base bolted directly to the floor. Shifts are positive and smooth. Vibration is non-existent with the cable shifter.
                        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          I think I've heard of STi guys doing this to great effect. I think my Cadillac could benefit from it as well. Then again, designs differ. I'm curious to see where it goes, though. A new product for our cars is always good, and it's nice to see that some are still willing to put forth the effort to get new stuff made for us!
                          The shifter your CTS-V is bolted to the top of the transmission so it's more or less integrated into it. The Subaru is less so, as it's attached to the side with a linkage assembly, but still could benefit from the solid mounts more than the CB could.

And again, I'm not saying that solid bushings won't help. If we're talking about the ones on the levers on the transmission itself then it most certainly will help. The base plate is what I'm having a hard time with.

Comment

mine has been welded to the car, no bushings, bolts etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X