Schooling help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schooling help

My brother is currently in grad school and has a degree in city planning. He knows his stuff and plans on being in school for another 5-7 years.

I've been unemployed for over 6 months with little to no signs of change. The other day my brother texts me and says, "If I paid for you to get in, would you consider a year long degree in service tech or body shop from a local school? Pell grant would pay for most of it."

It starts in august but FAFSA needs it and my 2012 tax return by April.

I'm stuck. I love cars and I'd love to have that knowledge but IDK if;

A) a year is long enough for ASE certification
    B) I'd enjoy being a tech

The dealership I used to work at was an awesome place and I loved the guys I worked with but a lot of them who were my age (30) and older said that if they had another chance, they'd choose a different career. Not sure if that was just that specific dealership, because it was GM, or if they meant being a tech anywhere.

I'd still have to find something between now and august and it'd be tight while going to school, but I think I could make it.

I guess my question is, for all you technician/mechanic people, what do you think? What do you recommend? Is a year long enough to learn the basics and important stuff? Would you recommend such a career path, knowing what you know?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

I am not a mechanic but my father was his whole life and I spent a lot of time with him in the garages.

Is a year long enough to learn everything? No, of course not.

However, a year is a long time, and you'll probably see everything you would need in a year.

It takes YEARS to be a great mechanic. Problems don't always manifest the same way and it takes some thinking outside the box sometimes to diagnose a problem, and soemtimes you need the help of fellow mechanics.

As far as the work, its brutal.

Again, I never did it full time, but a few hours here and there and it isn't easy.

Granted, youll have great tools at your disposal, but it's still very physical and your constantly in cramped spaces(sometimes no heat or a/c)

Comment

If he's paying, what do you got to lose?

Go for it. Beats sittin on ur arse. lol
      wat?

Comment

1yr= no beuno for a career in mechanics. Maybe to get you started, but there's a ton of continued education involved in keeping ase certifications. I have a couple, and its tedious keeping up with everything that is constantly changing.

Personally, I went to oregon state for automotive electrical engineering, minor in business management. Originally I wanted to own my own custom shop. Go figure right, 20+ years later I still love cars and pretty much turn a wrench any chance I get.

I've done a TON in the automotive world and am very well known around my neck of the woods for doing quality work and being involved in the "scene"

As you get older though, you wrap your head around the idea that money is what you are after, and there's little in the form of money when turning a wrench. I bet the highest paid mechanics for the fanciest dealerships, make 1/2 of what I make developing commercial real estate.

I'm not bragging, just pointing out that most mechanics make far less than 58k/year, which would be half of my income. I love cars, but my time is way more valuable.

Most mechanic jobs pay hourly, and at that $25/hour would be desireable. $25/hour is 52k/year.

If you are going to go through all the hassle of education, make sure you get paid in the process. I currently hustle 15-20k/year out of my garage, turning wrench in my off time. Last year I made almost 30k doing custom work.

I'm not trying to punch a clock till I die, so, just like me, you should be thinking about getting paid.

When you have money you can do whatever you want, on your time. If you are talking about selling your time, who cares what you do, you want your time sold for the highest dollar right?

At some point in the pursuit of success I realized what I WANTED to do for a living had shit to do with getting paid.
        Last edited by toycar; 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

But if the thing I wanna do for a living doesn't pay well, or enough to support me, I either can't do it or have to do it along with something else.

I like cars. I like modding them and I'd like to have more, better knowledge about them so that I could do work on my own car or friends/family's cars. Or just as side work. But I've heard that while it's a nice paying job, it's expensive(certifications, tools, etc) and it's hell on your body. I already have one bad knee and my back isn't the best either.

At the last place I worked, the average world-class tech made $40k at roughly 50-55 hours a week. There was one guy worked 12+/day, 6 days a week. I'm sure he made a considerable amount more but the man never saw his family.

It is better than nothing and it has the potential to lead somewhere. I just don't wanna get in debt for a career that I either can't keep up with or grow to hate.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
            1yr= no beuno for a career in mechanics. Maybe to get you started, but there's a ton of continued education involved in keeping ase certifications. I have a couple, and its tedious keeping up with everything that is constantly changing.

Personally, I went to oregon state for automotive electrical engineering, minor in business management. Originally I wanted to own my own custom shop. Go figure right, 20+ years later I still love cars and pretty much turn a wrench any chance I get.

I've done a TON in the automotive world and am very well known around my neck of the woods for doing quality work and being involved in the "scene"

As you get older though, you wrap your head around the idea that money is what you are after, and there's little in the form of money when turning a wrench. I bet the highest paid mechanics for the fanciest dealerships, make 1/2 of what I make developing commercial real estate.

I'm not bragging, just pointing out that most mechanics make far less than 58k/year, which would be half of my income. I love cars, but my time is way more valuable.

Most mechanic jobs pay hourly, and at that $25/hour would be desireable. $25/hour is 52k/year.

If you are going to go through all the hassle of education, make sure you get paid in the process. I currently hustle 15-20k/year out of my garage, turning wrench in my off time. Last year I made almost 30k doing custom work.

I'm not trying to punch a clock till I die, so, just like me, you should be thinking about getting paid.

When you have money you can do whatever you want, on your time. If you are talking about selling your time, who cares what you do, you want your time sold for the highest dollar right?

At some point in the pursuit of success I realized what I WANTED to do for a living had shit to do with getting paid.
            you sound like you could potentially be a great advisor to the mafia.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
              But if the thing I wanna do for a living doesn't pay well, or enough to support me, I either can't do it or have to do it along with something else.

I like cars. I like modding them and I'd like to have more, better knowledge about them so that I could do work on my own car or friends/family's cars. Or just as side work. But I've heard that while it's a nice paying job, it's expensive(certifications, tools, etc) and it's hell on your body. I already have one bad knee and my back isn't the best either.

At the last place I worked, the average world-class tech made $40k at roughly 50-55 hours a week. There was one guy worked 12+/day, 6 days a week. I'm sure he made a considerable amount more but the man never saw his family.

It is better than nothing and it has the potential to lead somewhere. I just don't wanna get in debt for a career that I either can't keep up with or grow to hate.
              listen to toycar

I know its hard to really feel like working on a car is piss work but listen to my own little story.

I sell clothes jewellery phone accessories etc. on my spare time (apart from other job and going to school). One night after putting in work I pulled into the G station to pump some 84 octane
              any way next to me is 600 cl AMG benzo. I was like wow.

The guy pumping gas was actually really down to earth looking and I approached him with a question. Now I know most white people would be like OMG RUNZ RUNZ OMG THUG ALERT! but this dude was like "Howdy!".

So we talked and he noticed that beside looking like a complete thug I run my ship through any storm. We chatted a while. Before he left I asked him, what advice can you give me, coming from a guy that went to school, pulled loans and invested all of it risking bankruptcy and now finally has millions?

He said this. "It does matter what you do to make money if you are happy and passionate about it, because the money is needed but it won't make you happy or fix your problems."

Then he was like I like you and the way you think I want to help you open you mind here is a movie about me. The movie is titled "Spoiled"

Comment

Nobody says you have to turn any less wrench, or learn any less about cars, or be any less involved with cars/the scene.

What I'm saying is at this point you are talking about putting together a plan(auto school) and wether or not its a good idea.

You should value your time more than that. Who cares if you like what you do for a living, working a job shouldn't define you as a person. You only work to make money right? If you had endless funds, you would do whatever you wanted. Go get funds, so you can do whatever you want.

Don't settle on doing something you are just content with, like its a negotiation or compromise. Fuck that, get paid man. I'm gonna say it again, you only work to make money right?

You get paid for what?

Your time.

How much is your time worth, compared to mine? Well that all depends on how valuable you can make yourself. You only get one shot in life.

Only once in your life will it ever be January 2, 2013.

How much do YOU value your own time?

Life is short friend, don't sell yourself short. You can always do what you want. Your job shouldnt influence that, ever.

Job time, get paid. Mike time, do whatever you want.

That's how I roll anyways.
                im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Mike, can you imagine yourself turning a wrench 8+ hours a day, 5+ days a week, for the next 20+ years? If you think you're up to it, and you wouldn't absolutely HATE it, then it's an option.
                  I have friends that went to the fancy tech schools, such as UTI, and racked up serious loan debt. I have friends that have gone to smaller tech schools that are far less prestigious, with significantly less debt. Of the 3 friends I'm thinking of right now, one UTI grad is a Ford tech, doing well. Another UTI grad has since passed away, but was working as an independent mechanic (or unemployed... it varied.) The third went to a smaller, cheaper school, and is a Honda tech... also doing well.
                  I believe it may be possible to get the necessary education for an ASE certification in a year's time, but I'm quite sure a certain number of work hours have to be completed as well... that may take longer. Additionally, you can be ASE certified, but still have uncompleted certifications (like, you could be certified on engines, but not transmissions.) To get the good jobs, you'll need to show you're competent all around.

Personally, I wouldn't want to wrench for a living. I hate wrenching "for fun", to be honest! I'm 32, preparing to start grad school... another 2-7 years, depending on the path I take... and potentially a quarter million dollars in loan debt... I'm not happy about it, but I'm not going to get any younger... and it's a step towards a career that I know I would enjoy and excel at.
                  Before diving into cars, which are obviously an interest and hobby, and seem to be where a fair amount of your previous work history lies... take a look at other things that you excel at. Look at jobs that 1) you could see yourself doing, 2) that seem to be in demand, 3) will pay you enough to justify pursuing an education towards that career, and 4) that you think you'd be able to handle said education (most of us probably wouldn't do well in the pursuit of an astrophysics degree!)

Comment

I want to like my job. I care if I like my job. I don't care what other people think of me or my job. I've found that life works two ways; you live within the means of your job and the money it makes. Or you work to support your lifestyle.

I don't have an expensive lifestyle. I don't want a lot out of life. I'd be happy making 25-30k/yr. The more I make, the more I'd have.

Comment

Deev, IDK what I see myself doing 8hrs a day for the next 20 years. That's my biggest problem. There's lots if things I'd like to try or THINK I'd enjoy doing but I don't wanna spend my life, and money, on educations for jobs I don't know if I'll like. There's. Our telling how long it'd to find the perfect one. By then, who knows how much I'd be in debt.

Comment

15-20 years from now you'll feel different. I know it sounds silly, but I'm being honest.

Anyways, all I was really saying was I wouldn't do mechanics. Get into an easier, better money making field.

My opinion. There's plenty of things you'd enjoy, that pay well. You just need an expensive piece of paper that justifies hiring your ass so make sure you get the right one

Comment

Last I checked you needed at least 2 years real life shop experience just to take the ASE tests. 2 years in a tech school for general automotive counts towards 1 year experience. Dealerships are the way to go to make money as long as the business is there, and most dealers here will pay for your ase tests. They also have to pay you more if you have the certifications.. At the toyota dealer it was $1.25 more per hour for every certification you have. You must have 8 of the 9 tests completed to be considered master tech. A master tech at the toyota dealer made $26+ hourly no matter what the job was. That's flat rate of course so like I said before, as long as the business is there, chances are you'll make good money.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Agreed. To be a mechanic, you're better off starting as young as possible... having a love and an aptitude for it. That way, by the time you're in your 40s, you're HOPEFULLY a master tech with serious seniority in your shop, making bank.
                            Starting in your 30s, you're going to be the bitch at the bottom of the barrel until you're 40. You'll be an old man with major back problems by the time you start making the really good money, if you ever get there at all.
                            At least that's how I see it happening.

Do you have any college experience under your belt at all? You could look into going to a community college. It's quite inexpensive, and the credits would often transfer to a 4 year school (many community colleges are working as satellite campuses for 4 year schools now, as well.)
                            The first 2 years of college are basic, fairly directionless crap that you'll need regardless of what you choose to do. You can start working on that stuff, and take a few elective classes that deal with subjects you might enjoy... you might find something worth pursuing as a career.
                            Depending on what you go for, you could potentially find a job that will pay for your schooling outright. My friend is doing that. Started working in a company that dealt with fire safety, and they paid for her bachelors degree... now they're paying for her masters degree in public safety.

I guess it's part of my dislike for physical labor... but $26/hr wouldn't be enough for me to be a mechanic! That's barely 50k/year!

Comment

Isnt it crazy how getting paid hourly st $26/hour sounds nice, when you get paid hourly. If you get paid salary, 52k/year isn't much for a "business professional"

And I just want to point out that 50k/year, is 20% of the cap allowed to claim middle class status. 250k/year is now "middle class" in America

I wish I made 250k/year.

Thing is guys, I probably live similar to anyone making 40-50k/year, I'm just going to get to retire eventually.

I'm not ballin. I'm savin. I don't want to waste my ENTIRE life working. Maybe another 12-15 years, but then I'm done for good. Isn't that what we are all working towards anyways?

Comment

Working...
                              X