What engines are found in UPS trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What engines are found in UPS trucks?

I know this is probably better suited to the "other automotive" section... but I'm posting it here. Sue me.

Anyway, my friend said he's looking for a diesel engine for a project, and he claims UPS trucks had a 4 cylinder turbo diesel at some point.
    All my research returns a mix of fairly uninformed forum posts, and not much else. I'm seeing reports of GM 6.0L, GM 6 cylinder, Ford diesel, Cummins, Mercedes Benz, and Renault... and possibly some others that I'm not even familiar with.

So, does anyone know for sure if there was a decent turbo diesel I4 in a UPS truck?

I assume he is looking for a Cummins 4BT? Those could be found in late 80's to early 90's Grumman vans typically, or maybe even GM P30 step vans. These stepvans usually came with GM 350's or 6.2 diesels from the factory, the 4BT was a popular re-power for these vans.
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I did a little reading, and apparently UPS does not re-sell its retired fleet vehicles. They basically run them into the ground, strip them of re-usable parts, and crush them under employee supervision to confirm the destruction of the vehicle. So unless your friend works for UPS, I doubt he's going to get ahold of a good engine from one of their trucks.

Comment

Interesting.
        I have to ask him what his plan is. Apparently a friend of his turned him on to the idea... so chances are he's done no research himself. I told him to get a Benz or VW I4 diesel... common, well supported, and pretty damn reliable (and for me to recommend ANYTHING VW is rare!)

I didn't realize Cummins made anything but an I6! (there was a time where I thought Cummins-powered trucks were V8s... so I'm a bit of a diesel moron... )

Comment

When I worked for chevy, we serviced a number of FedEx and UPS trucks so I can confirm that bit. Not sure what motor they were but very rarely were they handled by our diesel guys.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
          Originally posted by Jarrett
          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

From what I've read, the newer ones got some form of the LS (apparently the throttle body was a 4 bolt variety similar to my own LS2)

My friend definitely thinks it's a diesel in at least one of the models...
            I think Eric might be right about the 4BT. 3.9L turbo diesel 4 cylinder... that thing must produce some pretty impressive torque!

My friend's intention is to drop it into an old Tbucket.

Comment

Those 4BT Cummins are the shit! With a little tuning of the injector pump those things can put out some really impressive power. Watch some videos on youtube
              Originally posted by deevergote
              These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

If that's what it is, I'm sure 4BTs can be found in other trucks... as you seem to be right. UPS runs those things until the wheels fall off... then they put on new wheels and keep em going!

Comment

yeah, Frito Lays trucks and bread van can have them.
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

From what I've read, the newer ones got some form of the LS (apparently the throttle body was a 4 bolt variety similar to my own LS2)
                    That is likely true, some of the newer ones probably use Workhorse chassis, GM sold their P-chassis to an outside vendor who now produces them as Workhorse using GM drivetrains.

If we wants it for a t-bucket I would use an older Mercedes diesel from the 80's cars, since he'll be able to pull an entire RWD drivetrain from a single car, instead of piecing a setup together from multiple sources.

Also diesel parts aren't cheap, and the power doesn't come cheap either! I'd say he would be better off using an LS-based drivetrain. 5.3L can be had complete for $300!

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
                      yeah, Frito Lays trucks and bread van can have them.
                      Those Grumman aluminum vans, still plenty of them around, they don't rust!

The 4BT re-power kits were designed to directly replace a 350 V8, so you can plenty much bolt them in anything that has a Chevy V8 (which is everything lol). Part of the reason they are so popular

Comment

He's talking about doing a veggie oil conversion... so he'll have an eco-rod. Actually kinda cool...

Benz is my first thought as well. Old Benz diesels are dirt cheap, and I see a TON of them still on the road. I bet the transmission, rear diff, etc... is shared with the gas versions as well, which means even more available junkyard parts.

Comment

Buy a rotted one for 500 or so, pull the engine and trans and scrap whats left. Put on a couple of ebay turbos and it might be fast.

Comment

Making a diesel fast is weird... TOTALLY opposite of a gas engine! I was briefly researching a diesel Jetta, and I learned that the first thing to do is replace the injectors. With a diesel, more fuel DOES equal more power, apparently!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              Making a diesel fast is weird... TOTALLY opposite of a gas engine! I was briefly researching a diesel Jetta, and I learned that the first thing to do is replace the injectors. With a diesel, more fuel DOES equal more power, apparently!
                              Which is why turbos work soooo well with diesels. The more air you can stuff in, the more fuel you can dump. More turbo=more fuel=more power!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X