Honda techs, chime in, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda techs, chime in, please.

My girlfriend has a 2008 Civic EX sedan that she bought from a dealership in College Station, TX. She goes there for just about all of her maintenance because the vehicle is still under warranty for a little while longer.

Today she took it in to have her brake pads changed and the brake fluid flushed. She walked out having spent roughly $550. I don't remember the exact amount but when I have the bill later I'll update this thread.

Is this right? This doesn't even seem close to right. Roughly $300 of this is labor. The rest is parts, fees and tax.

If you work at a Honda dealer I'd like to know your pricing structure. Please don't turn this into a "Well, we have to make money too, you know." type of argument because that's not what I'm looking for. I simply want to know your labor rates and what a job like this would cost for a vehicle under warranty. I know that this is a wear item and not covered under a powertrain warranty, but still, is there a difference there in how the dealer would price the repair?

Thanks a lot.

Edit*
    Here's the invoice.

Last edited by Jarrett; 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

when I worked to the local Honda dealer a few years ago we had different labor rates for the different jobs we do. I was just an oil tech so don't know for sure.

that price seem about right but still a little steep. brake pads and fluid flush should not be covered under warranty. you don't HAVE to get your fluid flushed and unless it is causing problems that are covered under warranty its the customers choice to have it flushed. Also you are right...brake pads are a wear item unless they wear prematurely.
    visit vgruk

Comment

That sounds a bit off to me. Pads and fluid shouldn't cost $250. Mechanical labor where I work is $95/hr and 3 hours for those jobs sounds a bit slow, but about right.

Pads are definitely a wear and tear item that, in almost all instances, are not covered by a warranty. The same goes for fluids.

A full list of what was done and the expenses would help.

Comment

Front and rear brakes? Pads and rotors? If so, that could very possibly be that much. I was quoted $150 just to have my rear drums done on my Fit, and the front pads and rotors (OEM) cost me about $120 for parts alone.

Comment

I'll be 100% honest. I work in a Toyota dealer & I've worked for Honda. This seems a bit too high to me. A front brake job(turn rotors and pads) & a brake fluid flush is $429.90+tax. post a pic of the bill and I can tell you what was done for what price.
          Last edited by 4U2H8ME; 11-24-2012, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4U2H8ME View Post
            I'll be 100% honest. I work in a Toyota dealer & I've worked for Honda. This seems a bit too high to me. A front brake job(turn rotors and pads) & a brake fluid flush is $429.90+tax. post a pic of the bill and I can tell you what was done for what price.
            If it can be $429 for just the front brakes, with rotors turned rather than replaced, then I'd say for full pad/rotor replacement on all 4 corners, $550 seems reasonable.

Comment

the reciept will break everything down, and pretty sure it's right

normally changing all 4 brake pads will include machining of all 4 rotors

we charge 4hr's to do a full brake job, plus 1hr for the flush and this is at $135@hr

in labor alone you would have looked at $675 if you owned an Infinity

the pads and fluids was probably $150-$200 and the rest was labor, so it seems right

it might be hard to swallow for you because you're looking at it like pads and bleeding brakes, and that's all that it is but the dealer has its cost's
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

At the Honda dealership here, they charge $90/hr and I believe they pay for less then 3 hours of work. I don't know what the price on the parts is though since i don't usually buy my parts at the dealership. I was there for a year and did plenty of brake jobs but never did any flushes. For that price I would expect for it to be all 4 wheels and the flush. If it was only the fronts then that is likely too much (though I am not sure)
                1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

I went through a few of my older receipts from my Em2 when I had my brakes serviced years ago at the dealership and wanted to state what it costed me. I had the front rotors & pads replaced, and the rear drums serviced. Plus a full brake fluid flush. For everything, it costed me nearly $475. Keep in mind that with your 2008 Civic EX that does come with disks all around, the price isn't surprising. Whenever you goto a dealership, it will cost you more then if you went to a general mechanic shop. But if you want it done to factory specs, a dealership is the way to go. Hope that helps some.

Comment

At my dealer, our labor rate is roughly $110 an hour. A brake job, and brake fluid flush is a menu price item and we have a set price, it's not dependant on the time or what not, it's "competitive" with our competitors. A brake job for us (maching rotors, replacing pads) is $279.99 and a brake fluid flush (with a power flush machine, not just gravity bleeding) is $110 or so, maybe a tad more. We also charge for brake clean, and a roloc disc with the brake job.

It does seem a bit high to me.

Comment

What's throwing you off is use of the brake flush machine. PR had it right; use of the brake flush machine, cost of brake fluid, cost of pads, turning rotors, and probably a couple hours worth of labor.

You also have to remember that dealers mark up quite a bit. You might saved a few bucks had you brought your own pads.

I used to work at a dealership and employee prices on things as simple as oil changes was still in the mid-$20 range. That's why it helps to either DIY or have a friend in the business.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                      Originally posted by Jarrett
                      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Stealerships are terrible....could have replaced it in a driveway for a little less than half of that.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I've been out of pocket for a bit today but I've been keeping tabs on the responses. Give me a few minutes and I'll get the bill posted for those interested in the specific breakdown.

Originally posted by badfish82 View Post
                          Stealerships are terrible....could have replaced it in a driveway for a little less than half of that.
                          I'm well aware. I'm a very competent at-home mechanic and have been to school specifically for that purpose previously when I was at TSTC in Waco, TX. However, my girlfriend's parents don't approve of me tinkering on her car so this isn't an option. It's not rational but it is what it is. After today I'm sure that changes.

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord View Post
                          At my dealer, our labor rate is roughly $110 an hour. A brake job, and brake fluid flush is a menu price item and we have a set price, it's not dependant on the time or what not, it's "competitive" with our competitors. A brake job for us (maching rotors, replacing pads) is $279.99 and a brake fluid flush (with a power flush machine, not just gravity bleeding) is $110 or so, maybe a tad more. We also charge for brake clean, and a roloc disc with the brake job.

It does seem a bit high to me.
                          This seems fair to me. It would seem to me that for things people call about most often you'd like to have a price ready to give them. Not some mumbo-jumbo about how you're not sure what's involved yet until we see it and we'd have to run some calculations. The brake flush was an advertised flat rate, though.

Originally posted by 604CB7 View Post
                          I went through a few of my older receipts from my Em2 when I had my brakes serviced years ago at the dealership and wanted to state what it costed me. I had the front rotors & pads replaced, and the rear drums serviced. Plus a full brake fluid flush. For everything, it costed me nearly $475. Keep in mind that with your 2008 Civic EX that does come with disks all around, the price isn't surprising. Whenever you goto a dealership, it will cost you more then if you went to a general mechanic shop. But if you want it done to factory specs, a dealership is the way to go. Hope that helps some.
                          I understand dealerships are more expensive. This just seems exorbitant. My best friend's mom just had brakes done on her Tahoe a couple of months ago at a GMC dealer and it was $239.00 plus tax and fees for trucks and large SUVs. This is double that! For a smaller car even!

And saying factory specs on a brake job is laughable.

I'll post the receipt when I edit out personal info.
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Well for one thing, where you live is a vital piece to anything. For those of us who live in Vancouver, BC, Canada, things do tend to cost a bit more. It is well known that American prices are not as high as Canadian prices and therefore, maybe those who live south of where I do, do spend a bit less. Unfortunately, living in Vancouver it is well known that we spend much more then most in the world as our cost of living is much higher. But either way, best of luck on your brakes man.

Comment

Good private shops are hard to find. I've found a lot of shop because I work in the machining industry. Just from that, I can refer people to manufacture specific shops that do good work. People at dealers don't care.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X