Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walt Disney Company Acquires LucasFilm

Discuss..

Dunno if the Starwars films will be the same in the future, lol.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/3...i-set-for-2015
    My FB Page - http://www.facebook.com/hellaflush3d

My 3D Work --> http://samauripizzacats.deviantart.com/

So now they will insert subliminal sex messages into Star Wars?

Comment

i hope they dont turn it into an animated thing like they do on tv.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
      It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post

Comment

Quashish, I'm still upset with you for not getting my Star Wars joke in your Member's ride thread a while back.

It's not the fact that these new Pixar-produced versions will be done in a vastly different way that scares me. It's the fact that they plan to release a new one every other year or so after the 9th planned episode. To be honest, I hope they're failures. They won't be, but it would likely cause them to reconsider going past 9.

In the '90s the Thrawn trilogy was widely considered to be the effective episodes 7, 8 and 9. Those stories are good and exactly follow the guidelines set in place by the movies. Many other of the Extended Universe books started moving away from that and to a point where some were practically not Star Wars related other than the cover on the book. The Clone Wars series, while I watch it anyway, serves the audience of children viewers and cares little for the story. Anakin's character is the hero type and not the conflicted soul necessary to the story line. That will likely continue to be the case with the newer episodes as well, and that's unfortunate.

For as much as I bitched about Greedo in Episode 4 and the fact that every rerelease had a more intense Death Star explosion than the last, it will still be the lesser of two evils in comparison to what Disney will deliver.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            Quashish, I'm still upset with you for not getting my Star Wars joke in your Member's ride thread a while back.
            about being my car being C-3po not a clone?
            i did realize your pun afterwards and said something about bantha fodder
            Last edited by Quashish; 10-30-2012, 07:17 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
            It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
              I've always heard that Disney was anti semitic.

Comment

You can only remake your old movies so many times and without any real talent to create good new ones, this seems like a good way to cash out.

Did Lucas keep licensing rights to the merchandise and toys or did Disney get them? That is where the value is.
                Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

I don't see things changing all that much, honestly. Unless they re-make the original 3 movies, I don't imagine Disney really ruining the Star Wars universe. As Jarrett pointed out, many of the books have already deviated from the core storyline so much that they're barely even in 'the world' as it is. Those books, to my knowledge, are all approved by Lucas (or at least someone appointed to do so in the company), and are regarded as canon.
                  I'm not an avid reader of Star Wars novels (I've only read Splinter of the Mind's Eye, for the novelty of the author's ignorance to Luke and Leia's true relationship.)

IMO, Lucas gave us Jar Jar Binks... and that absurd romp of a kiddie flick that is Episode I. After that, I don't think Disney could do any more harm!

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                  I've always heard that Disney was anti semitic.
                  Walt himself was born in 1901... a very different time. Many early Disney cartoons had racial overtones that by today's standards would be considered hateful. Back in Disney's day, they were just the way people viewed the world.
                  Disney was associated with a group called the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals, which was an anti-Communist and antisemitic organization. (that is lifted directly from Wikipedia, a quote from Disney biographer Neal Gabler.) Disney himself doesn't seem to have shown any outward antisemitism, or any outward prejudice to any ethnic group, other than perhaps just the ignorance of his era. Apparently, the Disney company hired people of all races, religions, etc...

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                  You can only remake your old movies so many times and without any real talent to create good new ones, this seems like a good way to cash out.

Did Lucas keep licensing rights to the merchandise and toys or did Disney get them? That is where the value is.
                  Lucas is one hell of a businessman, so I'm sure he's ensured a steady income stream from his creation... now with little to no effort on his part!

Comment

as of right now , i'm looking at it this way:

disney acquired marvel, and so far have done a stellar job.

george lucas himself did a terrible job with the prequel trilogy.

my favorite star wars movie, the empire strikes back, was neither written or directed by george lucas (he just wrote the original story, and the screenplay was written off of it by screenwriters)

my 2nd favorite, return of the jedi, was not directed by him, and the screenplay was cowritten.

seems like the pretty common theme here is the less lucas does past the ideas and general story, the better things become.

i for one am semi excited to see what disney will do with star wars. i think they realize that there is a lot of money to be made staying in the more popular parts of the "canon" universe, and staying semi tight to the books and major story lines. (as proven by the marvel movies)
                    Last edited by Hopeless; 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Even though most hardcore fans will argue with me, I still believe Lucas made the original movie as a stand-alone story. There was very little in that movie to even suggest a sequel.
                      Sometimes I wonder if Lucas REALLY had further plans... or if he just said "holy crap, people like this! I can cash in!" The original was actually a pretty low-budget flick, despite the ground-breaking effects used in it. I've also heard that the majority of the cast was stoned out of their mind for most of the filming.

The original is still my favorite. Jedi was too whimsical, and Empire was too dark (I know, that's what makes Empire great...)
                      I never saw Episode III. Episode I was too juvenile, and II seemed rather incoherent. If it wasn't for the fact that I could oogle Natalie Portman, I don't think I'd have even watched the first two!

Comment

ooooo Natalie Portman ... I'm sorry were you saying something?

Comment

Black Swan?
                          (I saw it... couldn't tell you a damn thing about the story... but holy hell, I saw it!)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            Black Swan?
                            (I saw it... couldn't tell you a damn thing about the story... but holy hell, I saw it!)
                            I could only imagine how open your eyes would be if someone sent you a Black Swan movie poster with Kunis and Portman on it.

Comment

Stolen from HappyGilmore:

Comment

Working...
                              X