I need some cheering up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some cheering up...

I recently lost a dog to intestinal blockage. I sat with him until I could bring him to a vet, the vet did surgery and he died anyway.

First off I feel like I tortured him by letting him go through the surgery.

Second off I feel like I neglected him.

Third off I feel like I let him down.

I'm just in a rut now and keep kicking myself in the ass and thinking of what I could have done different to save his life or make him more comfortable that I didn't do.

Please someone tell me something to cheer me up.

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
    I recently lost a dog to intestinal blockage. I sat with him until I could bring him to a vet, the vet did surgery and he died anyway.

First off I feel like I tortured him by letting him go through the surgery.

Second off I feel like I neglected him.

Third off I feel like I let him down.

I'm just in a rut now and keep kicking myself in the ass and thinking of what I could have done different to save his life or make him more comfortable that I didn't do.

Please someone tell me something to cheer me up.
    I have two dogs that are about a year and a half old. I find myself already fearing the day that i will have to go on without them.

Your first off- You gave him the best chance to live as you could. Its an animals instict to live. They go through things people cant mentally endure all the time. Im sure your dog would have done the same and would be glad that you gave him his best shot.

Your second off- Your dog wanted to be a dog. And being a dog isnt having someone shoved up their ass all the time. Im sure alot of his time was spent just being a dog. Just like he wanted it.

Your third off- You did all you could for him. You gave him the best chance possible. For any dog. Thats the best thing that can be done. There isnt anyone that can help an animal more than a vet. And you did that.

EDIT: Honestly you dont have any reason to feel bad for anything. The thing is he wasnt hurt or betrayed. He was taken care of until the very last moment of his life. He knew he was being taken care of and he wasnt alone. Dogs are smart, they know that stuff. And that alone was comforting. Most likely the most comforting thing he could receive.
    Last edited by H311RA151N; 10-24-2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Honestly man, it's never fair when it comes to dogs. Some people don't like the human element I give to mine sometimes but I know for an absolute fact that they would give their lives in a second for my well-being. That kind of love doesn't exist in most humans. It's what makes dogs so special. They're more humane than humans. All that they ever want in return is to be loved on occasionally, fed and greeted with a handful of attention when you come in the door. If you were able to do that throughout his life then he was unconditionally thankful to you.

Take comfort in knowing that you were able to give him a much better life than what statistically most dogs have the misfortune of living. Move on from remorse but always remember the relationship you had because those are part of what make you who you are. For my family and I just remembering something funny about their individual personalities and getting the chance to smile while thinking about it is enough for us.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

^^^^^^ "Take comfort in knowing that you were able to give him a much better life than what statistically most dogs have the misfortune of living." Very well said.

Comment

your dog loved you and most likely loved you more that life its self. He was happy to be with you and be your dog. im sorry im not the best at cheering up but i hope my comment helped a little
          visit vgruk

Comment

Thanks guys, it means a lot.

I miss him, and the other dogs notice him gone too.

He was a rescue, we brought him in because he was a stray. The previous owner beat him and left him for dead in the country at around 2 months old. At first he wouldn't even come in the house or come near people. It turned out he was related to another stray I saved about 4 years earlier and they loved to run and play together. After he became comfortable with us he was a normal part of the family.

I am considering purchasing pet insurance for the other dogs now. The part that hurts the worse is that I feel like I put cost over his life. I could have taken him to an emergency vet on Saturday and he might have lived, but chose to save money and wait.

If there is anything I have gained from this is to not wait, a larger vet bill is worth it.

Again, thank you for the kind words.

Comment

It is so tough dealing with sort of thing. My family had a neopolitan mastiff and she was only 5. She couldn't get in or out of the house. Long story short we brought her to vet and they said both of her hips were shot. We had to put her down and i was right there next to her when she passed. It was so sad to sit there and hold her paw watching the life go out of her.

My mom and step dad were blaming themselves for keeping her in pain and not getting the surgery to have both hips replaced. So i know what you mean when you say you feel responsible because you could have paid the extra dough.

I look at it like this man, the dog(mine) was suffering and even though she was only 5 she had a great life. Always protective and lovable no matter what mood I was in.

It is a very difficult thing to go through and i wish you all the luck, atleast you have others, we had just her Good luck man atleast she isn't suffering anymore.

Comment

I've always had a dog (From a sheltland collie, german shephard, bully's etc) since i was little it's one of those things in "My" life i have to have as they are better than any human. So with that being said i have lost alot of good buddys and you can't save them all, sometimes it's just ment to be. My sheltand(Stormy) was attacked and rushed away and only lived a week longer. My very first pit (Pebbles) i picked out for my 18th bday and after a long dogless streak after my shephard ( Bonnie) at the age of 15yr passed, i decided to get another decent size breed. Loved this dog to death got a call one evening that she had ran away. On the way there from my GF house i was staying at i found her on the side of the dirt road barley alive. I put her in the back of the crv and got her home where she lived long enough to see us all. I took that pretty hard i love my dogs to death (Still tears me up) i would give my life for mine as they would for me. After her i decided a pit is the breed i will stick with & have.

02 Crv
                02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

I now personally have a mixed 15in beagle named Speck and my female bully Coco pebbles (Pride and joy right there) and her son Mighty mouse i love em all and it would suck without them. I hate to hear you lost a good friend, but he was with ya atleast for abit. Chin up buddy.

02 Crv
                  02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                  92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.

Comment

Your dog will forgive you, believe me you didnt let him down, you saved him from the previous p.o.s that had him before you...he will always love you.

SOLD!!
                    Boosted H22
                    375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

My dogs are brother and sister. Their father was half Rott and half German Shepard. Their mother was half Australian Shepard and half wolf.

Both my dogs have the wolf paws and tails. Both weigh 67lbs,

I hope they live to be 15+

Comment

Our male gabriel weighed in at 110lb's before he was fixed now his gained more solid dog.

And yeah i wish i could keep mine forever, but a long plentyful healthy life is all one can expect at the most.

02 Crv

Comment

Mine should weigh about 75-80 fully grown. Ive been told anyways its a good guess. Its a very uncommon mix and the mother was an accidental breeding.

To be honest this thread has made me spend alot of time with my dogs today. When someone loses a dog you can only imagine how they feel. It hits the heart pretty hard.

Comment

Yep it's not a good feeling at all.

02 Crv

Comment

Thanks for the support guys.

My dogs love car rides, I just wish his last car ride was not to the vet to die.

I'm going to go home and give my other dogs a ride and a trip to the park tonight.

It does really make you think about putting yourself in their spot and how confused they can sometimes feel. We humans are nowhere near as compassionate as dogs, but this is helping me to think more about them and what they go through.

Comment

Working...
                              X