Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slammed cars makes the newspaper.

http://www.westernfrontonline.net/fe...a4bcf6878.html

Two cars in a Starbucks parking lot display stickers fastened low on their windshields, emblazoned with messages such as “Gangnam Style” and “Tailored Gang.” Both cars are gray, like the pavement below or the overcast sky above. But what truly separates them from the rest of the cars in the parking lot is they both hover just inches above the asphalt, the bottom of the car nearly touching the road.
    Western students Kee May, Naveed Naficy and Julian Gossage have spent hours dismantling and redesigning these cars, bringing them lower and lower to the ground. The style is called “slammed,” but despite the speed implied in the name and the aerodynamic appearance of such low suspension, these cars are not for racing. For these Western students, it’s all about looks.
    “It’s just aesthetically something we’re interested in, it’s a hobby we like to put our time into,” Naficy said. “We just kind of want to get the message out that [slammed cars] are not out there to street race or cause trouble.”
    Most of the drivers he sees or the people he meets at car shows are college-age, despite the finances and expertise required to slam a car, Naficy said.
    About $1,000 goes into the process, Naficy said, although there’s a lot of preliminary work that leads up to that ride height, in addition to the extra price of any customizations or enhancements. Most of the slammed car drivers in Bellingham, about 60 to 70 he estimates, are still in their teens or early 20s. Some of these drivers have given the slammed car community a bad reputation because slamming cars isn’t about flashiness or drag racing and is instead about the work put into them. Naficy said.
    There are two ways to achieve this low effect, May said. The first is called “static,” meaning the car cannot rise up or be lowered. The second method allows for more mobility. Some slammed cars can be lifted, creating a different riding experience where the driver can move up and down as they travel by pressing buttons on a controller. Both May and Gossage opted to have static cars, but they aren’t stopping there.
    “You get addicted to going lower, [to] always adding something to your car, to starting a new project,” Gossage said.
    Gossage wants to sell his slammed car and start again, although he said there isn’t much of a market for slammed cars in Bellingham. They are seen more often on the streets of big cities, such as the metropolitans in Japan where the style originated, May said.
    That is one of the divides between slammed cars and low-riders. At Western, the M.E.Ch.A. club hosts a car show every year, but their focus is on low-riders. Low-riders also rely on different methods to achieve their height. Naficy said slammed-car drivers are generally younger, but not only is it a different environment than slammed cars, low-riders generally use hydraulics or an air-bag system to drop the car, Naficy said.
    Bellingham has Tailored Gang for the slammed car scene. Tailored Gang is a group of guys who slam cars together and it is the name they gave themselves for when they go to car shows. Naficy said Tailored Gang is a way to present a unified, cohesive crew at car shows, but also a way for the guys and girls to advertise their work and share with the community. On Facebook, Tailored Gang has garnered more than 1,500 fans who can see photos of the group’s work, watch videos of the cars on the road, or buy Tailored Gang Tee-shirts.
    “We’re just a group of friends who decided to put together a team,” said Naficy. “We’re just a group of guys who have a similar interest, and this way we’re unified.”
    Tailored Gang has a lot of supporters, but the response among their friends is mixed. Some people find the style pointless, and some people are impressed, but how their work is perceived is not what pushes these drivers to lower their cars, Kee-May said. The reward for the hours spent with their cars jacked up, tires off and the suspension pulled out is simply knowing they are able to slam cars and seeing how the ride looks when it’s done. The cars represent a level of dedication and responsibility that many people strive to emulate.
    “It’s just like a lifestyle,” May said.
    Still, despite all the “likes” on Facebook and the commitment required to accomplish slamming, the cars still have dissenters. May and Gossage said people have yelled at them or given them thumbs down as they drive past because they don’t like the cars. Even Gossage’s girlfriend has urged him to buy a truck and replace his car.
    Gossage has had problems with the police too; he said cops have pulled him over about 10 times in the last year. Gossage said they will “hassle” him because his car is so low.
    These are minor problems compared to the limited routes available to slammed-car drivers in Bellingham.
    While tires usually hoist a car far enough off the ground to make even the most unpaved street navigable, slammed cars offer no such protection. Since the underside of the vehicle is so close to the ground, it’s more vulnerable to any dangers on the road, such as speed bumps, sewer caps, potholes and the C-lots here on campus.
    Also off-limits is Fred Meyer’s, most of High Street, Garden Street and Indian Street, May said. The roads are just too uneven, inclined or coarse, meaning slammed-car drivers have to carefully plan their routes and be prepared to walk if they want to protect the delicate mechanics beneath their car.
    Despite their limitations, the cars are still expensive. Gossage said his oil-pan was broken at least eight times while he was driving, and he has to spend money on replacing his oil every few weeks in addition to whatever he spends upgrading or reinventing the car.
    “If you have money and you’re willing to be patient and dedicate your money to your car, [then slammed cars are worth it,]” Gossage said. “If you don’t have a job, if you don’t have steady income, you probably shouldn’t get one.”
    Gossage and May learned most of the techniques online and now are able to completely disassemble and reconstruct their own cars. Passing these lessons on is something Gossage cannot and will not do — Gossage said it’s something people have to do themselves to learn. Still, it’s a skill they encourage people to acquire, because building a slammed car is so much more gratifying than simply owning one.
    “I wouldn’t say [slamming cars is] for attention, because I don’t really like when people know what car I drive,” Gossage said. “It’s for my own satisfaction, like ‘I built that.’”

STANCE|WORKS

BOOOO!

Asthetics = crap

It's all about performance! Slamming is not performance...

Silly newspaper, asthetics are for posers!

The dudes they interviewed seem like dicks, if he learned it all on the internet, then why don't he share his knowledge? It's not like he went to college and paid tons of money to learn something special.

EDIT: LOL @ GANGNAM STYLE VYNILS
    Last edited by wildBill83; 10-23-2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

for a split second there i thought you typed all that OP
      visit vgruk

Comment

LOL, of course he wants to sell his slammed car, after destroying 8 oil pans, adding oil every two weeks and wrecking suspension components to get that low I'm sure it is really reliable.

Comment

One of the "Tailored Gang" kids in his flat black EJ civic coupe comes by the dealership every once in a while. Shit is slammed to the ground and had taken chunks out of our drive way (and his lip). He's not allowed to park on the lot anymore and has to park around the block.

Haven't seen any others from the 'gang' though. Might have to run up to B-ham to visit my buddy and see if i can spot them around town...

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by Function>Form View Post
            One of the "Tailored Gang" kids in his flat black EJ civic coupe comes by the dealership every once in a while. Shit is slammed to the ground and had taken chunks out of our drive way (and his lip). He's not allowed to park on the lot anymore and has to park around the block.

Haven't seen any others from the 'gang' though. Might have to run up to B-ham to visit my buddy and see if i can spot them around town...
            LOL, you know what roads NOT to find them on...
            Since the underside of the vehicle is so close to the ground, it’s more vulnerable to any dangers on the road, such as speed bumps, sewer caps, potholes and the C-lots here on campus.
            Also off-limits is Fred Meyer’s, most of High Street, Garden Street and Indian Street, May said. The roads are just too uneven, inclined or coarse, meaning slammed-car drivers have to carefully plan their routes and be prepared to walk if they want to protect the delicate mechanics beneath their car.
            Maybe you will find them walking with their fancy t-shirts to "protect their delicate mechanics".
            Last edited by wildBill83; 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryandavis33 View Post
              for a split second there i thought you typed all that OP
              He'll no copy and paste lol save pepole the trouble of trying to click the link or the pepole that are on their phones.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                BOOOO!

Asthetics = crap

It's all about performance! Slamming is not performance...

Silly newspaper, asthetics are for posers!

The dudes they interviewed seem like dicks, if he learned it all on the internet, then why don't he share his knowledge? It's not like he went to college and paid tons of money to learn something special.

EDIT: LOL @ GANGNAM STYLE VYNILS

not sure if trolling....

anyway... who cares!!!?! its not your car, build a bridge and get over it! you dont ever see people who like visual mods talking trash about others...

"Tucking tires and wires."
                The Chronicles.

Comment

Damn, sarcasm doesn't transfer well via text...

Sorry if you are offended, I thought it was FUNNY!

You must have missed my Trix cereal pun too...

Only thing serious was this:

Comment

I love how the article treats it as something new... "slammed" cars have been popular for as long as I've been in the scene. Well over 10 years now. It's been popular longer than that, but the import tuning scene has been pretty "underground" until the release of the first F&F movie (and the popularization of internet forums such as this one.)

Comment

Slammed casr are not Inches off the ground. To me slammed cars are mm's from the ground.

Anyways I hope the newpaper reporter had the ok to snap dudes car.
                      Last edited by F20A CB7; 10-25-2012, 09:04 AM.
                      **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                      Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                      Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Could have been worse, they could have covered *********...

... quick someone call the writer and blow his mind about super stretched low profile tires and ********* stance!

I just have a slight problem when modifying your car makes it drive worse or be unsafe and the mod was done for looks only...

Comment

Leave it to the Pacific Northwest to be embarassing and have a newspaper article like this come out as if it was the hottest new trend.....

Comment

Originally posted by MDJ-7BC View Post
                            Leave it to the Pacific Northwest to be embarassing and have a newspaper article like this come out as if it was the hottest new trend.....
                            Reminds me of the midwest, I went to boarding school there so I have tons of friends there and they're just starting to listen to odd future and all that stuff that was popular on the west coast like a year ago

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                              Damn, sarcasm doesn't transfer well via text...

Sorry if you are offended, I thought it was FUNNY!

You must have missed my Trix cereal pun too...

Only thing serious was this:

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
                              not sure if trolling....

"Tucking tires and wires."
                              The Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X