Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnny Cockrin Dies at the age 67 1937-2005

Superstar Lawyer Johnnie Cochran Dies
    (AP) - Johnnie L. Cochran Jr., who became a legal superstar after helping clear O.J. Simpson during a sensational murder trial in which he uttered the famous quote "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit," died Tuesday. He was 67. Cochran died of a brain tumor at his home in Los Angeles, his family said. "Certainly, Johnnie's career will be noted as one marked by 'celebrity' cases and clientele," his family said in a statement. "But he and his family were most proud of the work he did on behalf of those in the community
    ================================================== ========
    Litigator Johnnie Cochran Dies at Age 67

Johnnie L. Cochran Jr., who became a legal superstar after helping clear O.J. Simpson during a sensational murder trial, died on Tuesday at the age of 67.

Cochran died at his home in Los Feliz of an inoperable brain tumor, according to news reports citing his brother-in-law, Bill Baker. His wife and his two sisters were with him at the time of his death.

With his colorful suits and ties, his gift for courtroom oratory and a knack for coining memorable phrases, Cochran came to epitomize the formidable litigator sought after by the famous and wealthy in legal distress.

The phrase, “If it doesn’t fit, you must acquit,” would be quoted and parodied for years after the Simpson trial. It derived from a dramatic moment during which Simpson tried on a pair of bloodstained “murder gloves” to show jurors they did not fit. Some legal experts called it the turning point in the trial.

But long before his defense of Simpson, Cochran was challenging the Los Angeles Police Department’s misconduct.

From the 1960s on, when he represented the widow of Leonard Deadwyler, a black motorist killed during a police stop in Los Angeles, Cochran took police abuse to court. He won historic financial settlements and helped bring about lasting changes in police procedure.
    ================================================== =======

Damn man i had no clue he was that old, he was a hell of a lawyer. its a shame

My Cb bad, Cb bright and the cops can kiss my Cb lights - I’m gone!
    Frost White Member 13
    My Ride
    "Girls are like a new car... lease w/ option to buy"

Comment

R.I.P.

'04 SB AP2 211whp 150wtq

Comment

Originally posted by icedplaya123

yea , the only reason that he won the case for oj is because he played the "racial card" ..... but whatever it takes iguess to keep crimnals out of jail

Comment

[QUOTE=Crayola-r]yea , the only reason that he won the case for oj is because he played the "racial card" ..... but whatever it takes iguess to keep crimnals out of jail [/QUOTE

What "race card" that statement was irrelevant.

Sad to hear. R.I.P

Comment

That sucks, RIP

Comment

...R.I.P. Johnnie...

Great work...i woulda had em if i was in LA

“If it doesn’t fit, you must acquit" Johnnie

No more accord...I got a 99 Protege!
              New Project...84 camaro Z28

Comment

You know he went to hell
                my ride

Comment

Originally posted by icedplaya123
                  thats what i said too!! i was under the impression that he was in his late 40's maybe in his 50's... damn this just goes to prove my theory that black people age really well...

Comment

i hate how he always played the race card

Comment

His job was to keep his clients out of jail. If the race card accomplished that, so be it. It's our legal system that's flawed enough to allow it to work!

He was a master of his field. I didn't really like him myself, but I do respect what he's done.

Also, if a rich former football star approached you and said "I need help. I'll pay you whatever it takes" wouldn't you help the man get off as well? On the OJ case alone, Johnny lived the last 10 years of his life in luxury (though I'm sure he was already there)

Comment

Working...
                      X