No announcement yet.

6k or 8k hid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your car could also have a better setup than others.
    I HAVE seen some CBs with blinding HIDs, though, which is why I cling to that idea on here.

I don't understand the driving with brights on thing. I've noticed it more and more lately as well. Especially in the rain. Yes, lights on in the rain makes you visible (I've come close to hitting cars in the rain that had no lights on, and paint the color of wet asphalt!) But brights? Really?

Comment

Ya I mean im not going to kid myself, projectors are the correct way to do it.

I understand the hatred for stock housing hids is because of the young kids who throw them in to headlamps that are probably improperly aimed making it even worse and so the consus is that it is ricey.

Not everyone has a few hundred dollars for a retrofit.

In some circumstances, I agree, do it right or not at all.

In my case I think its worked out good but im probably the exception.

Comment

I bet if I threw HIDs in my stock Fit housings, they'd be blinding unless I aimed them at the ground. Just way too large of a light to no throw that glare everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
          ...it still illuminates reflective signs plenty far making it easier to see exits/merges etc...
          This is how i know your lights emit gobs of glare. If you're scattering enough light to reach out and touch highway road signs before you can read them then you're definitely 'shining' anything and everything else on the road as well. The glare doesn't just go up...it goes in every direction.

HID Projectors have something called a "squirrel finder", which lets a small amount of light escape upward to illuminate road signs and such without casting light in all other directions......another +1 for projectors.

As far as 'not getting flashed', as so many others have used as a "how annoying are my lights" guage...it's just not credible enough. Some people aren't comfortable with doing that to others since it may be too distracting, therefore dangerous..

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

That is a good point, and I see what your saying, but I don't mean that the road signs are lit up like a xmas tree...

all I am saying is that my lights are def aimed in a downward direction, but some light still reflects off of road signs(which all headlights should, even my halogens did but not until I was on top of the signs)

I really don't have any other way to guage it, and im sure it is annoying to some drivers, but I have even had a friend tell me that to him, my lights were not distracting/annoying.

Im really not trying to argue your point tho, because it is valid and very good at that.

I was just trying to make a case for "whack".

Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

I personally don't see the issue with throwing hids into stock housings as long as they are aimed properly and not 55w or 10k.

Are you going to get the same effect as in projectors? No.

Are they going to be more annoying then projectors? Maybe.

Let me ask you this...

have you EVER been annoyed with OEM projectors?

I have been in front of cars with OEM projectors and either because they are not sitting right or from maybe damage, they are also blinding.

And im talking about cars that come with projectors stock.

So I isn't just halogen housings that can be annoying, projectors can as well.

Comment

I don't consider this an argument. It's a discussion, so i hope you're not taking any of this personally. I'm just a zealot for proper automotive lights these days...so when i see someone pop up asking what HIDs to plug into their headlights, it's like blood in the water.

As far as im concerned, any HID+halogen reflector housing setup=ricer/uninformed hipster/whatthefuckever. It's just not cool in my book. The light cannot be corralled as easily as a projector setup nor is it as useful...(lens focus) <---another subject for later..

Whack is whack....yes, i've seen some OEM projectors aimed improperly..from nissans to mercedes', but that's usually just an alignment issue that CAN be resolved. If someone with a PnP kit is annoying, tough titty. There's not much you can do about it, for reasons that should be obvious.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

No I deff wasn't taking it personal LOL.

I wanted to make sure you didn't think I was trying to start an argument.

I get that, and it's cool. It's not your thing and it's a pet peeve of yours...

I still don't think its that serious.

I don't want to spend the money on a retrofit on a car that I won't be doing mods on for the most part, and will be getting rid of next year possibly.

I wasn't unimformed, as I thoroughly read about it before hand and decided I would give PNP a go and see how I fared, and if it didn't work out, I could either sell the kit or save it for a future retrofit.

I did mine for better light output.

It may not be as good as with projectors, but I can assure you in my case, its better then the brightest bulbs you could buy(I should know, I had a set)

Is it blinding? Maybe to some people, but I wouldn't know because I have never been told. I have passed cops and not been pulled over. Never flashed and my output seems to be mainly on the street in front of me.

Not a lot going sideways either.

I guess I just don't think it is right to label anyone who does them in oem housings, whack or a uninformed hipsterrr

It's like an elitist attitude that only those with projector retros are worthy of HID light.

I don't agree is all lol.

And im not saying this merely because I feel like I have to defend my stance since I rock them in stock housings....

I wish I could afford a car with stock projectors so I wouldn't have to worry about halogens as they are wholy inefficient at light out put and much more costly.

Alas, I cannot, and I do not have the time for a retrofit nor the money for a complete set.

Comment

So where ca i get an inexpensive projector?
                  visit vgruk

Comment

The retrofit source garage sale, or save up $300.

They have them on ebay they look real, I saw some on an ef and I asked the guy he said "they're bright" I wouldn't trust them in my housing but I guess thats an option.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
                    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

What is that?
                      visit vgruk

Comment

What is what?? The retrofit source, ebay, a projector? I have no idea what your talking about bro

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Im going with the 35 watt in stock housings. is that ok? i have seen some cbs on here with hid in stock headlights and they looked really good
                          visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
                            What is what?? The retrofit source, ebay, a projector? I have no idea what your talking about bro
                            Lol sorry i ment the retrofit source
                            visit vgruk

Comment

4300k or 4500k
                              10th Anniversary Accord.
                              05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Sure try them and see how it goes you can always change them if you have to.

Edit: TRS is an online company where you can get everything retrofit related.
                                I was on a budget and got ballasts from ddm tuning (shipping takes forever with ddm)
                                Last edited by Quashish; 10-13-2012, 12:12 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Working...
                                X