• Show
Clear All

^ you do ,, i just hope people get your point
    10th Anniversary Accord.
    05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

I just lurk every once in awhile now

Comment

This is something we're trying to address as of late. If you look back a few weeks, you'll see a thread by me saying pretty much the same thing.

The unfortunate thing is, it's getting more and more difficult. The new members these days are setting the bar lower and lower. In the past, it was the occasional exception that would make 10 threads without even trying to answer their own question. It was the occasional exception that would "typ lik dey dun care cuz dis aint skool yo". It was the occasional exception that clung steadfastly to the notion that they can modify their car to be fast and safe for less than they spent on the car.

Now, we get people posting new threads about topics that are covered not only in the threads that say "READ HERE FIRST!!!", but also in another thread, created earlier that very same day, bearing a near-identical title! Searching isn't even required... they just need to open their eyes!

Now, 4 out of every 10 members can't type a coherent sentence. Here's a moderate example, from a couple years ago (by a member that has since learned to communicate clearly, which is why I chose this example.)
        okay so i try and start my car and it does not like turn over and after i mess with the ground and then i try again it work and turns right over
        also were is a good place to get kit to relocate the battery to the trunk ???
        and wat r some things that will help with a trunk battery
        or wat should i expect will doing so
        Difficult to read and understand, needy, not focused on the problem at hand... Just "gimme gimme gimme!" without any apparent effort to even make themselves understood!

Now, these cars are able to be bought for $500-$1000. A proper suspension setup... a SAFE suspension setup... will cost more than $500. Kids today don't want to spend $700 on a suspension setup for their $500 car (and that's not including axles, bushings, bearings, ball joints, tires, brakes, etc...) Worse, those cheap kids are encouraged by older members to cheap out. "I been running on stock shocks slammed 4" and its fine. u dont need a camber kit its toe that ruins your tires."
        For the members that actually understand the importance of doing things properly... especially for things that are required for safety, that can get VERY frustrating.

"SEARCH NOOB!" is almost always forbidden on this site, unless it is accompanied by a link that answers the question, or a direct answer in the thread. I will say it occasionally, but usually only to people that have clearly made a habit of making thread after thread asking questions that are answered elsewhere (usually in the "sticky" threads, there for easy access.) Yes, I know people never read those things... but tell them once, and anyone that reads that comment MIGHT figure it out in the future!

The two primary causes for negativity on this site are laziness (especially in typing) and the insistence that unsafe mods are acceptable.
        If someone comes on here and makes a thread saying:
        "cn sum1 sho me all da best suspensin part 4 r cars i wana b hellaflush o ya i have 300 to spend so wuts gud??????? dont tel me 2 get sumthin dats like a grand cuz i aint spendin dat much i got my car for 400 lolololo"
        That person is going to get laid into. I honestly do not care if they get offended and never come back. We were all noobs once, but I remember a time where "noob" wasn't synonymous with "types like an idiot."

You're right, and we're trying to do something about the overall negativity of this site... but it's very difficult to do. Perhaps those people that are complaining about it could help out by leading by example.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I honestly do not care if they get offended and never come back.

I agree with your entire post, except this.

The explosion of cell phones and really autocorrect/spell check has made younger kids really fucking lazy.

Hell, im guilty of it in some instances and I have been called out on English grammar/syntax mistakes myself and English is my first language.

The notion of not caring about offending and them never coming back, is harsh though.

That is an attitude that would not foster change, and it isn't only you that feels that way or we would not have this thread.

It just is that it is really hard for older members with knowledge and experience and who didn't grow up typing like that(because they hand wrote every single assignment for school and didn't really use a PC) to accept the change and not get frustrated.

Now Im not saying allow them to write lik dis and shizzzz...

not at all.

That writing isn't accepted in the business world and in REAL life lol, so it should not be accepted on here....and even though people hate grammar nazi's, I praise the ones who consistently do it, because it is in a sense teaching others the right way and that is what we need.

My post basically is trying to explain that newb and idiot typing is not the same thing....they are not synonymous....they just happen to be a double edged sword because of timing.

What Im trying to say is, the noobs should still be shown some respect and decency even if they type like shit because in the example you have shown, it is possible for people to change.

Chasing them off is only hurting the productivity of the board, because you never know who that person might become.

Comment

I just hate n00bs and want the hotties hotties hotties thread back. Is that to much to ask for??

Plus I hate getting PM's and then when I reply and don't answer their question they get mad. F U!!!!!!!!!!!!
            H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I think threads like these two are what I find annoying and absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192903

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192839

Respect? Yea non-existent.

Comment

That 2nd one is pretty bad.

Comment

The key is to figure out where to draw the line. If old members stop being rude to stifle the ignorant, lazy noobs (not all noobs, just those that meet those criteria), then we'll be encouraging such behavior to continue.

There has been a lot of negativity going around lately, I agree... but honestly, I feel that the negativity is fairly well focused. Either the people learn how to communicate effectively, and show respect to those they are asking for help, or they get fed up and move on.
                  There are a number of members that I personally had come down on pretty hard for typing like they were txting their little girliefriends... but they have since come to understand the need for clear communication. They have learned to respect the other members of this forum, and thus have earned MY respect, as well as that of the other members here.

Comment

I Now understand 100% what Deev is tring to explain.
                    I am co-administrator with Vic on the AccordObsession site. After a few members joined..the rules were simple...No flames.That and the normal rules like profanity or massive bumps.
                    So what starts? Guys come in and are new yet tell others how wrong they are! Some use profanity. So I warned them and promised to ban. I saw what I said and said..."hey! I got on Devver for that" So now I know.
                    Now my most frustrating point is what Deever points out..the same questions asked week after week. And what pisses me off are the ones that just type and either are clearly uneducated or just plain don't care. The last part that pisses me is that I have more members on our Facebook page posting unusable rant than members on the actual site helping and giving good advice and sharing car experiences. I may (with Vic's approval) require the FB crowd to be members of the forum BEFORE I approve them to FB.
                    So yea..like any parent, it takes constant consistent looking at to maintain a good running family. It takes a respectful and helpful family to make it run smooth. I commend all the ones here in seeing how it almost ran away from home here and brought it back. This site is still the best to get the info and ideas from!

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                    New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                    My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
                      I think threads like these two are what I find annoying and absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192903

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192839

Respect? Yea non-existent.
                      I hope you're talking about the OP, because one can only try so much, i finally gave up on this kid especially in the low oil pressure thread after he would not listen to reasoning nor could he grasp the concept. Everybody in that thread tried to help him and lead him down the right path with good solid information but he wouldn't have it.

02 Crv
                      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                      Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

To be honest with everyone here to be be an original o.g member who has already obtained their reputation you have to remember there are others here after you who are trying to obtain theirs. Let them prove their worth by contributing to more constructive positive projects.

If they have nothing but negative things to say just leave them be and let them fail on teir own. I love it when they do things and then complain about costs to modifying a car properly makes it all fun until it breaks down. Then theyll blame the car,blame other members things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                          I hope you're talking about the OP, because one can only try so much, i finally gave up on this kid especially in the low oil pressure thread after he would not listen to reasoning nor could he grasp the concept. Everybody in that thread tried to help him and lead him down the right path with good solid information but he wouldn't have it.
                          That too in that thread you can take a horse to the water but you cant make em drink. I do it like I do it for others dont save em they dont wanna be saved.

Comment

I think the negativity that smokinspeeds is talking about isn't so much that from the new members, but from the old members.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              I think the negativity that smokinspeeds is talking about isn't so much that from the new members, but from the old members.
                              I try not to be negative and give my advice, but i am pretty much to the point when doing so that's just who i am.

If an OP ask such questions and gets the right answers back in return , but yet acts like they know better that is what gets me. I guess it all goes back to "The truth hurts" statement and most don't want to believe in what you're trying to tell them even when it's facts.

02 Crv
                              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

It was a bit of both deev. And I know moderating is not easy on a board like this. I just think people should leave threads alone after they have tried to help and start to get upset. Let's see the person try to understand what's been given instead of piling more of the same info on mixed with anger. I find useful info in such threads even if the OP wasn't such a good student, the subsequent pages after of, you should listen to me, (and in guilty of adding to such threads too) make it hard to find what I'm looking for.

I do think the mods do a good job here considering what is dealt, but I still hold to my statement that a switch to the tail sends them home crying not wanting to come back. Let them cut their springs, scold but don't chase away, so they will come back to do it right later.
                                My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

Working...
                                X