Which car to take for my road trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which car to take for my road trip

Now that i own 2 cars i have the dillema of which car to take. The answer is almost easy but i'm getting caught up with a few things

Slight background, i'm taking a road trip with 2 friends to seattle from md, its about a 3 day trip. Neither of my friends know how to drive a manual either. ( but really what do you need to know how to drive one for to drive on the highway for hours on end? Once you get going you're golden )

Anyways

Accord

Pros
    Cruise control
    automatic
    4 doors
    Nice interior
    comfortable suspension

Cons
    Not the greatest gas mileage
    needs rear brakes and calipers
    Needs a driver window run channel badly, leaks air inside which is annoying

Integra

Pros

i've gotten 33mpg highway and i think it could do better then that. The accord gets 27mpg highway from my previous experience
    Much quicker, i mean come on were going to be driving in SOUTH DAKOTA
    More luggage room if you don't include the roof rack

Cons
    No cruise control
    Rough suspension
    not nearly as comfortable as the integra
    its a manual so my friends wouldn't be able to drive it but on the highway

So it basically all boils down to comfort vs economy

The difference is economy is about $200 in gas for the round trip.

Both cars have working a/c and whichever one i take is going to get the windows tinted, no way in hell i'm having the sun beating down on me for a 3 days straight and then again on the way back.

So what would you take?
    Integra
    27.27%
    Accord
    72.73%
    Last edited by Tippey764; 07-13-2012, 07:02 AM.

I thought you took a trip like this a little while back? i think in that other thread though, you were asking what to take with you and what to look at before leaving.

Comment

Sure that wasnt me? That thread was only from a few days ago though. And I would take the accord 3 day drive I take comfort.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
      It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
        Sure that wasnt me? That thread was only from a few days ago though. And I would take the accord 3 day drive I take comfort.
        I'm pretty sure it was Tippey because i remember replying back if he had a smart phone to download an app called GasBuddy because it shows a map with all the gas stations that were nearest him.

Comment

Yah not me

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
          It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

for solo road trips 2door tegs are awesome but once you throw in even a single passenger its always nice to have that huge back seat. hell my 4dr still gets crowded with all the random crap me and my wife pickup on our trips. plus we like to bring our own food and cooler.

now when it comes to driving you deff. want that to be shared if possible. on my trips by the 10th hr the heel of my right foot is soo tender it cant touch the floor(i think BMW design their gas pedals to remedy this) and then that start putting a strain on the muscles to keep the foot in a certain position.

safe journey!

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
              I thought you took a trip like this a little while back? i think in that other thread though, you were asking what to take with you and what to look at before leaving.
              That was me but we haven't taken it yet, itwas just planning ahead of time.

We're leaving August 13th.

Anyways I just remembered,

The accord has cruise control, the Integra does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                Now that i own 2 cars i have the dillema of which car to take. The answer is almost easy but i'm getting caught up with a few things

Slight background, i'm taking a road trip with 2 friends to seattle from md, its about a 3 day trip. Neither of my friends know how to drive a manual either. ( but really what do you need to know how to drive one for to drive on the highway for hours on end? Once you get going you're golden )

Anyways

Accord

Pros
                Cruise control
                automatic
                4 doors
                Nice interior
                comfortable suspension

Cons
                Not the greatest gas mileage
                needs rear brakes and calipers
                Needs a driver window run channel badly, leaks air inside which is annoying

Integra

Pros

i've gotten 33mpg highway and i think it could do better then that. The accord gets 27mpg highway from my previous experience
                Much quicker, i mean come on were going to be driving in SOUTH DAKOTA
                More luggage room if you don't include the roof rack

Cons
                No cruise control
                Rough suspension
                not nearly as comfortable as the integra
                its a manual so my friends wouldn't be able to drive it but on the highway

So it basically all boils down to comfort vs economy

The difference is economy is about $200 in gas for the round trip.

Both cars have working a/c and whichever one i take is going to get the windows tinted, no way in hell i'm having the sun beating down on me for a 3 days straight and then again on the way back.

So what would you take?
                Well the integra is not nearly as comfortable as the integra? Take the accord.
                Go with reliability over anything else. Both have some minor flaws but that integra suspension would have me worried. Never know what kind of roads you will come across.

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
                  Well the integra is not nearly as comfortable as the integra? Take the accord.
                  Go with reliability over anything else. Both have some minor flaws but that integra suspension would have me worried. Never know what kind of roads you will come across.
                  The integras suspension is rough because it's after market not because it's worn.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                    The integras suspension is rough because it's after market not because it's worn.
                    So it's not rough it's stiff? Only problem I can see with that is if your buddy in the back is tall and you hit a bump he may just hit his head.

My most recent trip we took my girlfriends 07 Civic instead of my 02 V6 Accord. I went with the economy over comfort, that and my Accord needs tires, the two passengers sitting in the back we're not comfortable at all. Me and my girl were for the most part. Not as comfortable had we taken the Accord.

Here's my thought, instead of asking us (CB7tuner) ask your friends what they would rather do. Take the Integra, save gas, be uncomfortable, and you have to drive the whole way possibly delaying the time it takes you to get there OR take the Accord, pitch in a few extra bucks for gas, ride comfortably, and share driving duties which will put less stress on everyone enabling the drive to be done faster.

Comment

I'd take the accord.

My gf and I are planning an epic road trip for next summer from NC to CA, up the coast to WA then back east to ME, then back to NC. It's going to be over 10k miles. Options for cars: 04 civic EX, or my CB9. I am so much more comfortable in my car.
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

I would just take the car that is most comfortable in, you said the suspension in the integra was not broken in yet so the ride is rough. Another deciding factor is your accord is a sedan right? I'd still take that car instead because i hate leaning forward or getting out to let the rear passengers out.

Comment

I would take the CB. You have a month to fix the window run channel and rear brakes.
                          The Integra's fuel economy will likely decrease when you have a car full of people anyway. The CB's larger engine will have less trouble hauling extra weight (and will probably show a smaller decrease in fuel economy because of it.)

Do a full tune up, make sure everything is running properly, and you should be able to get 30mpg out of the Accord on the highway. I know I can get better than that with my H22 when driven carefully!

Comfort is good, cruise control is good, and having a car that all occupants are comfortable driving is good. You don't want one of your friends to panic in an emergency and crash because he thought at the last second "crap, I have to stop and I don't know what to do with the clutch!"

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
                            So it's not rough it's stiff? Only problem I can see with that is if your buddy in the back is tall and you hit a bump he may just hit his head.
                            Well its stiff which gives a rough ride. It handles great on back roads though

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
                            I'd take the accord.

My gf and I are planning an epic road trip for next summer from NC to CA, up the coast to WA then back east to ME, then back to NC. It's going to be over 10k miles. Options for cars: 04 civic EX, or my CB9. I am so much more comfortable in my car.
                            Obviously the cb9 in that choice lol

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                            I would just take the car that is most comfortable in, you said the suspension in the integra was not broken in yet so the ride is rough. Another deciding factor is your accord is a sedan right? I'd still take that car instead because i hate leaning forward or getting out to let the rear passengers out.
                            Well theres only one other person so its not really that big of a deal to let them in and out.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            I would take the CB. You have a month to fix the window run channel and rear brakes.
                            The Integra's fuel economy will likely decrease when you have a car full of people anyway. The CB's larger engine will have less trouble hauling extra weight (and will probably show a smaller decrease in fuel economy because of it.)

Do a full tune up, make sure everything is running properly, and you should be able to get 30mpg out of the Accord on the highway. I know I can get better than that with my H22 when driven carefully!

Comfort is good, cruise control is good, and having a car that all occupants are comfortable driving is good. You don't want one of your friends to panic in an emergency and crash because he thought at the last second "crap, I have to stop and I don't know what to do with the clutch!"
                            I doubt the MPG would go down that much even with a little extra weight. The accord is shit for MPG, i got 27MPG highway with the a/c off 100% straight highway. Mixed driving gets me 21/22. The car has had a full tune up fairly recently. I also don't really think that .4 liters really makes a difference, the accord feels very sluggish to drive in comparison.

I do agree with the point about the clutch though. Ehhh i'm leaning twords the accord myself

Its more than just the rear brakes and window seal though. It needs a rim since one is bent, a rear motor mount, an oil change will will require a new oil pan because the drain plug is stripped, probably a timing belt. The integra isn't work free either though.

Comment

Your going to hate life if you take the car without cruise control and stuck driving the entire time. I've drove from Miami to Minneapolis(1800+ miles) like 5 times now and one time took a car without cruise and it just sucks. I bought one of those adjustable rods like 1-2 feet long like a shower curtain twist adjustment and jammed between the gas petal and seat but that only works on flat roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X