Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
    Regular 911 Carrera is already shit to drive, let alone Cayman and Boxster
    I agree with this 100%. We have a 911 in the family and it can't even keep up with my Slowbaru which is the slowest car I've owned.

And after trying out some newer 997s, I'd rather buy american muslce as at least it will have some balls.
    Last edited by rexload; 06-12-2012, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
      Do people actually consider Cayman to be an exotic? Weird..I can see 997 Carrera Turbo and above (GT3, GT3RS, GT2, GT2RS) being considered an "exotic", if that, but not anything below that...Carrera GT is an exotic, but any other Porsche is just a regular everyday sports car IMO..Regular 911 Carrera is already shit to drive, let alone Cayman and Boxster Sorry, I beat on these Porsches all day long, as well as actual exotic supercars, and never once do I see Porsche as an exotic, especially the cheap Boxster, Cayman and regular Carreras..

Anyway, a brand new Cayman is definitely a waste of money, especially if you're not planning on keeping it forever..When it comes time to sell, no one's going to want it, unless you're willing to let it go for half the price you bought it for..Obviously not a wise choice..

Used 3-5 year old 997 Carreras, as long as it's a Turbo or better, it's not too too bad..Prices for these have already dropped to a point where it's almost a flatline..If you find one with a decent low kms, manual trans, and no dec, and a good price, it'll be worth it, you can drive it for a few years without having to lose too much money..

We had a few 997 Turbos for sale a few months back, full Techart kit, Techart wheels, PSS10, AWE exhaust, manifolds, GMG sway bars, GMG Carbon Stress Bars, etc., and we had to let it go for pretty cheap because these cars in general are getting cheap. US$70k'ish? Like I said, if you can get one around that price range with low kms, you can beat the shit out of it for a few years and put kms on it, and you won't lose too much when it comes time to sell..Porsches are generally pretty reliable, as long as you maintain them properly, they'll be just fine. Worst problem I ever ran into with them was just leaky manifold gaskets, they kept on blowing, car wouldn't boost properly, and sounded like shit. Other than that though, no major problems. Ours was pushing 650whp, we beat the shit out of it all day long for a few years, and nothing ever went wrong!

Armada, I don't know..Get a used one, I'm sure they're pretty cheap, if you need an SUV to do errands in? It's cheap, it's no luxury SUV by any means, and it's a Nissan, so maintenance is dirt cheap too, as long as you don't buy a lemon.

As for the first option, I guess none of us would know whether or not you need an additional room and bathroom. Is it necessary? If you REALLY need an extra room and bathroom, then do it I guess? It doesn't hurt, and your money will be put to better use. Whether it will bring the value of your house up or not, again, we don't know. You'd know better than any of us would!

I guess in the end, it all depends on how much extra money you're playing with..If you're planning on spending $100k just for the fun of it, and you don't need an SUV to run errands, get an '07-'08 997 Turbo (Stick) with low mileage, and call it a day, if you really want a Porsche. You already have a place, if the extra room isn't necessary, why bother? OR, if you want to buy an ACTUAL exotic, I think '04-'05 Gallardos go for around the same price range (US$80-90k)..Just do yourself a favour and get one with manual trans, and NOT E-Gear!

Hope that helps!

Ronald
      i can see what you mean about the exotic comment but it is a sales marketing term so i can't really follow any for sure requirements. for me atlease it goes exotic, then supercar and then hypercar. we can both agree that the boxster/cayman are the civics of porsches

i want to buy a used porsche 911 turbo but then it would be old, i have looked at used bentley continental, maserati gran turismo, aston martin db, lamborghini gallardo, and ferrari 360 but those would also be old. i want a transitional vehicle that i would keep for the lifetime of the car hence the reason for the new car. another reason is that i don't think i'm ready for the cars listed above. maybe when i'm 30 i can buy an f430 which is what i really want but not now

and yes manual is one of the things i am looking for, i know it may not be as fast as the autos but i'm not looking for a car to win races

Comment

Neither.

The housing market right now is pretty poor. It IS climbing back up... but with the upcoming election... no idea what could happen again to the prices. Also... the value of a property is very dependent on the location as well as the condition and value of the surrounding properties and the demographic. This is not a racist or discriminatory comment in anyway. It's more of behavioral. If your neighbors are drunk all the time and blasting music and things like that... your value will drop. The key thing is that perception of what a property is worth.

Houses and such are a lot of work.

Cars will always lose value unless you have a classic that is garage kept and never sees rain, snow, etc.

Until they find a way to completely stop rust (new material, idk) car will generally speaking always depreciate from wear and tear and to the condition of the car deteriorating.

I have invested in Silver as well as Intel. Intel captures a HUGE portion of the processor marketshare. Now I know people are going to come on and say well AMD does this and that, which is true. But... we are looking at the processor market as a whole. If we think about that from a logical standpoint, all computers need a processor. Any job or w/e has computer systems integrated. Intel is NOT going anywhere and unless they make some huge mistake or AMD blows them out of the water, they will maintain a high market share for a LONG time.

I have also invested in Merck as well as GE. Again these are long term investments that I am looking to hold onto.

Other than those three... I have mutual funds where it is a very stable investment for long term growth at a low risk. It is a low reward, low risk scenario. However my ROI is still better with that than having it sit in my savings account.

That's my opinion anyways. Like I said... I don't really know where the housing market will go.
        my 91 cb7
        Originally posted by 4doorfury
        I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

Working...
        X