suv or exotic or rennovation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suv or exotic or rennovation?

i have an option of either making my room into a suite (adding additional room and bathroom), or buying a new porsche cayman or a 3-5 year old 911 or a nissan armada. still on the fence on this one. which would you choose and why?
    Last edited by HondaB18; 06-08-2012, 01:04 AM.

sounds a bit random for all those choices. Do you have a reason behind all of those things you want to buy? why not save up?

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
    My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
    Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

No and No and No.

Comment

Honestly man if you need the extra room (in case of a child, family, gf/bf, ect..) i would go that route.

Porsches are nice but i have never drove one (or even rode in one).

The armada is not a bad investment a co worker of mine lives an hour away and he has been driving it for a few years now and loves it to death with no complaints.

But to each his own and i hope you do not regret your decision good luck man

Comment

Invest in cars, lose money.

Invest in house, house gains value and eventually you make money....

Seems like a no brainer to me.
          Originally posted by wed3k
          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I found a way you can have them all! Renovate your room and get a porsche bed frame, and have a naval themed bathroom (Armada). Boom!

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
              Invest in cars, lose money.

Invest in house, house gains value and eventually you make money....

Seems like a no brainer to me.
              this.
              if the house is yours then its an investment. cars are a waste. buy a porsche when you have nothing better to spend that money on. or you have so much money that it doesnt matter

Comment

Porsche's are nice firstly. But their upkeep it crazy expensive and you always have small things that come up at the worst time. Having owned a 2006 911 Turbo for a few years, I have to say that it was a nice toy but not much more.

Armada's are good if you require the extra space for whatever you do. If you are getting it just to get it, why bother. You'd be better off with your CB7 as it'll be cheaper to run and less worries when you go out.

If you require more room to live in, it's always a good investment to add an addition or do renovations. Just be sure that you do it right or it'll cost you more in the long run.

Either way, best of luck on your choice. For me, I'd just add the addition to your room and be done with it.

Comment

So I gotta ask, why are you asking this on a forum full of mainly 18 year olds who drive sub-$1000 cars?

Your posts always seem to be like "look how awesome I am with all this expensive stuff!" You're rich, we get it.

The Cayman might be the better drivers car but it will never have the fanboy credibility of the 911. While vintage Porsches as a whole are appreciating in price, the 911 still pulls the strongest resale and I don't see that changing. As such the 911 will hold its value longer. Didn't you just buy a new car as well? What is the purpose of this, a toy? If so can you afford the upkeep as well as have a place to properly store it?

You talk about turning a bedroom into a suite. Are we talking about a condo or house here? The bathroom will add value to either but unless you see yourself living there long term that type of renovation doesn't seem particularly wise in this market if its truly just one room you're adding. How does your place compare to others in your area? Are you on the low end or high end in value. If you are on the low end it's not terrible but if you're already on the high end you'll never see a return on investment.

If you aren't upside on the house why not just take advantage of the low rates and upgrade. It's apparent you're not hurting for money.

Comment

used cayman with lsd unless you can get a 2011 911.
                    just do the bathroom and don't extend.

Comment

Originally posted by FuriousJDMLBM View Post
                      So I gotta ask, why are you asking this on a forum full of mainly 18 year olds who drive sub-$1000 cars?

Your posts always seem to be like "look how awesome I am with all this expensive stuff!" You're rich, we get it.

The Cayman might be the better drivers car but it will never have the fanboy credibility of the 911. While vintage Porsches as a whole are appreciating in price, the 911 still pulls the strongest resale and I don't see that changing. As such the 911 will hold its value longer. Didn't you just buy a new car as well? What is the purpose of this, a toy? If so can you afford the upkeep as well as have a place to properly store it?

You talk about turning a bedroom into a suite. Are we talking about a condo or house here? The bathroom will add value to either but unless you see yourself living there long term that type of renovation doesn't seem particularly wise in this market if its truly just one room you're adding. How does your place compare to others in your area? Are you on the low end or high end in value. If you are on the low end it's not terrible but if you're already on the high end you'll never see a return on investment.

If you aren't upside on the house why not just take advantage of the low rates and upgrade. It's apparent you're not hurting for money.

real estate is always the best investment, car prices go up and down
                      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by buzz11 View Post
                        sounds a bit random for all those choices. Do you have a reason behind all of those things you want to buy? why not save up?
                        random indeed, but here are some reasons

room addition - this would be done for my parent's house, neither my parents nor i would care much if we don't gain value from this. we are all well vested in other areas

porsches - what else to buy than the most reliable exotic brand. cayman would be new and i think looks good. 911 is well... what makes porsche even if it might be entry level

armada - considering this only because my friend wants to sell his for a good deal. i can sell at a late time and could be an interesting daily driver

Originally posted by FuriousJDMLBM View Post

never said i was rich, did you know i am a bit depressed at my salary. i guess my expectation and standard for myself is too high for myself. i'm still living below my means but not a millionaire yet

porsche would be a fun car that i plan to keep for my lifetime and maybe eventually give to my son or daughter

house is neither on the low end or the high end but around here the land is worth much more than the house that it sits on

i'm sure there are a few member here that make more than me and i'm sure there are a few members with experiences with porsches. i'm sorry if it sounds like i'm bragging about it but its not like i'm assuming member here can't do any of the ones listed (ie. 604CB7 who said he had owned a porsche, ronald works with them as a living etc)

is there a salary limit to become a member on this forum? cause i joined because of a reputable member that referred me here and i think this forum is alright

and yes i recently just bought a car that i use as my second daily driver

thanks for all the input guys, will make my final decision by the end of this month. no worries i won't update because animosity sits me better

Comment

Do people actually consider Cayman to be an exotic? Weird..I can see 997 Carrera Turbo and above (GT3, GT3RS, GT2, GT2RS) being considered an "exotic", if that, but not anything below that...Carrera GT is an exotic, but any other Porsche is just a regular everyday sports car IMO..Regular 911 Carrera is already shit to drive, let alone Cayman and Boxster Sorry, I beat on these Porsches all day long, as well as actual exotic supercars, and never once do I see Porsche as an exotic, especially the cheap Boxster, Cayman and regular Carreras..

Anyway, a brand new Cayman is definitely a waste of money, especially if you're not planning on keeping it forever..When it comes time to sell, no one's going to want it, unless you're willing to let it go for half the price you bought it for..Obviously not a wise choice..

Used 3-5 year old 997 Carreras, as long as it's a Turbo or better, it's not too too bad..Prices for these have already dropped to a point where it's almost a flatline..If you find one with a decent low kms, manual trans, and no dec, and a good price, it'll be worth it, you can drive it for a few years without having to lose too much money..

We had a few 997 Turbos for sale a few months back, full Techart kit, Techart wheels, PSS10, AWE exhaust, manifolds, GMG sway bars, GMG Carbon Stress Bars, etc., and we had to let it go for pretty cheap because these cars in general are getting cheap. US$70k'ish? Like I said, if you can get one around that price range with low kms, you can beat the shit out of it for a few years and put kms on it, and you won't lose too much when it comes time to sell..Porsches are generally pretty reliable, as long as you maintain them properly, they'll be just fine. Worst problem I ever ran into with them was just leaky manifold gaskets, they kept on blowing, car wouldn't boost properly, and sounded like shit. Other than that though, no major problems. Ours was pushing 650whp, we beat the shit out of it all day long for a few years, and nothing ever went wrong!

Armada, I don't know..Get a used one, I'm sure they're pretty cheap, if you need an SUV to do errands in? It's cheap, it's no luxury SUV by any means, and it's a Nissan, so maintenance is dirt cheap too, as long as you don't buy a lemon.

As for the first option, I guess none of us would know whether or not you need an additional room and bathroom. Is it necessary? If you REALLY need an extra room and bathroom, then do it I guess? It doesn't hurt, and your money will be put to better use. Whether it will bring the value of your house up or not, again, we don't know. You'd know better than any of us would!

I guess in the end, it all depends on how much extra money you're playing with..If you're planning on spending $100k just for the fun of it, and you don't need an SUV to run errands, get an '07-'08 997 Turbo (Stick) with low mileage, and call it a day, if you really want a Porsche. You already have a place, if the extra room isn't necessary, why bother? OR, if you want to buy an ACTUAL exotic, I think '04-'05 Gallardos go for around the same price range (US$80-90k)..Just do yourself a favour and get one with manual trans, and NOT E-Gear!

Hope that helps!

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

having an extra bathroom is like having the 3rd row seat in an expedition. even if you dont use it often, it's really nice to have at times (especially if you have an expedition full of bitches)
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

The only Porsche that seems to hold value, as everyone stated above, is the Carrera.

My family owned a Cayenne S (2005), beautiful truck, capable off road, wonderful on road, but it depreciated like a bitch. We got it brand new and it was around 80+ grand, sold it last year for aound 20k, WITH low milage.

The Cayman doesn't look like it would hold it's value any better. Honestly you should just save the money you have, buy a used M3 or even a new M3 and call it a day. THose will hold their value and car just as capable as the Cayman.

At the end of the day guys, it's his money and he'll do what he wants with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X