No announcement yet.

Cheapest "fast" car possible (modified)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That Fiero description is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, here!

Comment

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
      Lol @ you guys saying anything AWD.
      AWD belongs at rally/auto-x.

you need to consider suspension geometry first over all things when your talking a road car. Use a benchmarking tool like a specific track, say Nürburgring?

Dev has it more on par with a miata. Corvettes are nice but how about an american mid rear car?

Pontiac fiero Gt. The only problem with using this vehicle is part of its suspension geometry. When taking it to the cars limits, there are some very scary results. The fix for this is to fit the vehicle with some corvette front suspension.

You then gut the 2.8l v6 and drop in a 350 small block. You could get crazy with it for power. Personally id twin turbo it with some gt3071's. Convert to fuel injection and modular heads by using a Motown block. I guess you could drop in a crate engine like the corvettes ls7.

For import id do a 2nd gen Crx, s2k, or the overplayed ae86. For fwd vehicles, id get a 4ws prelude, and have fun. 66.5 mph stock slalom run on a 89-91 economy car? Great starting point.

the Fiero's came from the factory fuel injected so putting it on the small block is super easy,

old Nissan 240 260 280 Z with a small block properly modified can go fast and handle well
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
        the Fiero's came from the factory fuel injected so putting it on the small block is super easy,

old Nissan 240 260 280 Z with a small block properly modified can go fast and handle well
        That's not the problem, its the 350. Getting fuel injection on it is the issue If you were doing it on a cheap budget like the thread suggest gotta get a nice manifold. Because dropping in crate engine sbc's /W fuel injection isn't cheap.

Sds-efi stand alone ems FTW though. The only other problem with that build would be intercooling it. But you could run water/methanol injection and some small DSM side mount intercoolers pretty easily.
        Last edited by MortsAccord; 05-13-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

http://staceydavid.com/projects/banshee

Saw the re-cap edisode for this build the other day, its pretty cool! According to Stacey, you can build it without the bodykit for about $10k. Thats factoring in his cost of $2500 for the clean rust free Miata with a blown engine that he started with.

The bodykit makes the car but sadly it's out of production. Its kinda out of the scope of this thread, the point is that a 400hp V8 Miata can be built with all new parts for under 10k.
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

That body kit really does give the Miata a much more exotic appearance, for sure.
            I drove V8 Miata about 10 feet once...
            It belonged to a member here that I met at a meet. Of course, he doesn't come here anymore because 1) he has a V8 Miata, and 2) I pissed him off.

Comment

Yup, I'll take the '06 GTO to the track with the exotics.
              The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

500hp+ crx is easy and cheap enough to build. can "detune" it a bit for track.

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
                  500hp+ crx is easy and cheap enough to build. can "detune" it a bit for track.
                  Crazy.

Too much for FWD. Things get pretty hairy with that much HP on FWD even with any GOOD LSD installed, wide tires and a good splitter. Your just asking too much for the front end to do after 300 hp or so.

And why on earth would you build a 500 hp engine only to "detune" it for the track? Thats a horrible waste of performance. Not to mention that a CRX doesn't need a lot of power to go stupid fast. Its stock curb weight is less than 2000 lbs. After you gut it put in racing seats, roll cage, and increase the weight VIA beefed up power/brakes/suspension its still under 2000 lbs.

I would Love to convert one to RWD. Find a good handling rear end, get a 2 speed transfer case, and bolt that shit up to the new CRZ engine(or one that would mount to the new tranny) and CVT. Add a small turbocharging system to the CRV with water/methanol injection and no intercooler, on e85 or race gas, standalone EMS(using the stock ECU for the trannys control), add a tranny cooler and swap the fluid out for Amsoil Torque drive or TranSynd®(castrol/allison). End result, a beast of a car that stays in its power band ALL the time with instantaneous boost, not to mention it would be 1000 lbs lighter than a CRZ. Also with the 2 speed transfer case you would essentially have a "in town" gearing and a "highway" setup. Kinda like the old Dodge colt turbo GLH
                  Last edited by MortsAccord; 05-13-2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Wasn't the GLH an Omni?

Anyway, I agree... that much power is useless for a FWD car, especially if handling is important.
                    I remember overpowering FWD cars in video games like Gran Turismo and Forza, and after 300whp they're pretty worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Wasn't the GLH an Omni?
                      Yes.

The Colt/Champ had a twin stick transmission.

Originally posted by MortsAccord
                      Lol @ you guys saying anything AWD.
                      AWD belongs at rally/auto-x.
                      The Audi A4 Quattro was banned in BTCC in 1996 because it was dominating the competition with the Quattro system.

Comment

Which still amazes me, given how nose-heavy Audis are.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                          Yes.

The Colt/Champ had a twin stick transmission.

The Audi A4 Quattro was banned in BTCC in 1996 because it was dominating the competition with the Quattro system.
                          Yea if a track has a lot short turns like some of the images I saw a AWD system is kind of advantageous. It still adds weight though.

I hate them banning shit audi does.(or anyone for that matter)

Look at the TDI, penalized with smaller fuel tanks and a couple laps, but they still won. Audi IMO is one of the best engineering teams out there.

Comment

1g dsm

Weight reduction + port, polish, tune and some minor breathing upgrades like exhaust and you can make 10's happen.

Google 10's on a 14b, been done plenty. 14b is the stock turbo and a 1g goes for 2-3k in good shape.

My vote for cheap/fast, dsm.
                            Originally posted by wed3k
                            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

My parents have a 88 Mitsubishi Conquest TSI, the body is straight, just needs the maacco paint removed, the leather seats/interior is kinda cracked. Its completely stock, they've thrown out numbers of 1-2k tops (I am not trying to sell it, I'm just tired of hearing my mother saying she wants it gone since it just sits in the garage and gathers dust since my dad is too busy with a todo list a mile long, otherwise she's threating to call the volunteers of america :rollseyes:, it is a good chassis though ), it currently has a bad headgasket, the block was replaced under 25k miles ago, as the old blocks balanceshafts started to vibrate. Turbo on it is newer then the block I think, I think it has about 80k on the chassis. Pretty much is ready for someone to part out whats salvageable for someone elses "DSM Dream", then put something like this under the hood.

Should be able to handle the corners beautifully, if you can see them through the intake!
                              Last edited by cloudasc; 05-13-2012, 02:58 PM.
                              PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

87-92 fbody 350tpi with bolt ons, gears, suspension, and a tune could and can cost under 5k.

That is what i would pick for a cheap quick track car or a fun DD.

02 Crv
                                02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                                92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                                Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Working...
                                X