No announcement yet.

Cheapest "fast" car possible (modified)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my boss just built his 350tpi with edelbrock intake and headers (and a whole lot more) and it put down 350 . pretty decent but knowing that a 302 that can put the same numbers makes the ford more desirable plus i like being different.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Mustangs until recent years, the old Fox body especially, isn't exactly known for its ability to handle! I don't see an older Mustang outhandling anything even close to a supercar no matter how much modification is done!

The 3rd gen F body does have quite a reputation for handling, though... which is odd, considering the suspension design. Looking at that suspension in a junkyard, it looks thoroughly archaic!
      Then again, the Corvette still uses rear leaf springs. Even the ZR1. "Archaic" designs like leaf spring suspensions and pushrod V8s seem to be perfectly capable of getting the job done when properly designed!

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
        my boss just built his 350tpi with edelbrock intake and headers (and a whole lot more) and it put down 350 . pretty decent but knowing that a 302 that can put the same numbers makes the ford more desirable plus i like being different.
        I see alot more fox bodys than 3rd gen fbodys, at the strip and on the road it's not different at all here in NC.

02 Crv
        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

I see far more modified fox bodies around me, for sure.

The Mustang is a fantastic car to modify for straight line racing, and parts are abundant. I remember years ago, a member here would regularly say that you could go shopping for performance parts in the junkyard, and walk away with any number of performance headers, camshafts, exhausts, etc... for a fox body.

Comment

wed3k, I'd hardly say that going with a Ford 302 would qualify as being different. If you want to be different build a car that drives on the ceiling, has more reverse gears than forward and uses useful comments I make on this forum as fuel.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              wed3k, I'd hardly say that going with a Ford 302 would qualify as being different. If you want to be different build a car that drives on the ceiling, has more reverse gears than forward and uses useful comments I make on this forum as fuel.

They already have those cars...
              Originally posted by Mishakol129
              Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Mustangs until recent years, the old Fox body especially, isn't exactly known for its ability to handle! I don't see an older Mustang outhandling anything even close to a supercar no matter how much modification is done!

The 3rd gen F body does have quite a reputation for handling, though... which is odd, considering the suspension design. Looking at that suspension in a junkyard, it looks thoroughly archaic!
                Then again, the Corvette still uses rear leaf springs. Even the ZR1. "Archaic" designs like leaf spring suspensions and pushrod V8s seem to be perfectly capable of getting the job done when properly designed!
                anything can be made to handle well. i see foxbodies at the auto-x all the time and they do quite well.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

S13.

Buy a beat shell for $500. Fix it up a little. Go one extra step and do an RB swap instead of an SR. One hell of a killer package.

I helped my roommate build an SR swapped Silvia last year. My god that thing was fun.

Comment

as long as most mustangs are built with live axles... handling is going to be shit.
                    Last edited by GHOST 2.2; 05-18-2012, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                      S13.

Buy a beat shell for $500. Fix it up a little. Go one extra step and do an RB swap instead of an SR. One hell of a killer package.

I helped my roommate build an SR swapped Silvia last year. My god that thing was fun.
                      The S13's suspension design is actually quite crappy.

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2 View Post
                      as long as most mustangs are built with live axles... handling is going to be shit.
                      The current Mustang handles really well for some reason, even with the live axle. Car and Driver's review of it was full of surprise! I have yet to drive one, though.
                      Cobra models usually have independent rears, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2 View Post
                        What?
                        I'm keen to see this.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

step 1 : test drive exotic and i don't mean driving it lightly

step 2 : pursue budget build that can match performance

step 3: get car and work on it

bet most members haven't even gone past step 1. i've driven a few exotics but only a ferrari 360 hard

i thought about this question as well and tried with an evolution, still wouldn't come close. maybe the corvette would be closer, i don't have one so i don't know

Comment

If this was something I was actually planning on doing, and not just a hypothetical musing, that is EXACTLY the way to do it!

The Corvette probably really is the best option. It has the makings of a true supercar in it already. It has the huge engine that is capable of making big power quite easily, a suspension system that, while a bit odd (and even archaic... leaf spring rear?) has plenty of potential.
                            Turning a Corvette in to a true Ferrari Killer probably wouldn't be difficult. Especially a C5 or C6.

Of course, that's almost a boring answer.

Comment

The thing that hasn't been said in this thread is that the Corvette is a super car. It just doesn't have that extreme price. As you state, Mike, it has the workings of a super car already in it. It's a super car.

A stock C6 will keep up with a F430 or a Gallardo on the track. The Vette probably will not beat either, but it will be able to keep up.
                              The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

The Corvette's use of leaf springs isn't the traditional way. It's used to cut down on body roll.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...af-spring.html
                                92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
                                2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
                                2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Working...
                                X